1973 Starcraft SS 18 I/O

bwingler57

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I feel like I got a good buy on this SS 18, it has the 140 mercruiser in it, The man i bought it from gave me a 15hp kicker motor, bimini top and put new tires on the trailer before i picked it up. It has both titles in his name and he owned it since 2012, Motor was winterized and cylinders were fogged when he put it up, I got it for $750.00. The boat looks to be in pretty good shape, the hydraulics raised the outdrive up and still holding.

The bad is some soft spots in the floor and needs a new prop has some nicks in it. Getting ready to strip her down to start on the floor removal, the floor is still in tack and no holes in it so I should be able to use them as templates.

My plans for the boat is turning it into a fishing boat to use on lake Michigan for salmon and steelhead and some local lakes.

Attachments

• IMG_1182.jpg
    IMG_1182.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 19

Exzaber

Recruit
I just picked up a 70 starcraft holiday, going to start stripping it down this weekend.

bwingler57

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Well darn, motor was stuck from sitting, got it freed up but would not make a full turn of the motor, pulled the head and #4 cylinder is rusted pretty bad, i think it can be honed, on the fence of should i rebuild it or just sell it.

briangcc

Commander
You're not all that deep into this boat $$$ wise. If you like it, I'd be tempted to look at a rebuild for the motor. Got any good engine builders who have marine knowledge?

KJM

Lieutenant
Well darn, motor was stuck from sitting, got it freed up but would not make a full turn of the motor, pulled the head and #4 cylinder is rusted pretty bad, i think it can be honed, on the fence of should i rebuild it or just sell it.
If the kicker works, even without the main motor, I'd say you got your money's worth.

bwingler57

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Here is the block with head off the rust on top of cylinder 1 and 4 is stopping it from going all the way over

Attachments

• IMG_1187.jpg
    IMG_1187.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 6

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
I would be looking for a 1992 or newer 3.0 myself.

Rebuilding a 3.0 costs as much as rebuilding a 5.7

matt167

Rear Admiral
I have a similar boat. Mines an Offshore. Bought a rotted donor boat with a perfectly good 3.0L. I only needed the gimbal housing which had a price on ebay of $500. So I paid $700 for the running boat and will install the entire 3.0L alpha one in my boat…. Point is your in this project for Pennie’s really

bwingler57

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Well i tried an old trick soaking the cylinders in vinegar for a couple of days cleaned it up and used some baking soda water to kill the vinegar then added marvel mystery oil and wiped the cylinders down and she rolls over now with out and problems. Cleaned up the thick crusty rust.

Attachments

• IMG_1188.jpg
    IMG_1188.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 3
  • IMG_1189.jpg
    IMG_1189.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 3

bwingler57

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Should I do a ring kit or just put it back together? The guy I bought the boat from claims it ran great, It did have the rv antifreeze in the block where I pulled off the water pump it poured out so it was winterized like he said, don't see any cracks in the block.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
check the head and the exhaust manifold. water got into cylinder #4 from either a bad head or a bad manifold

bwingler57

Petty Officer 3rd Class
check the head and the exhaust manifold. water got into cylinder #4 from either a bad head or a bad manifold
I spoke to the PO and he said it sit for 4 years at which the dog house wasn't covering the motor for 2 years it looks like if got water down the carb and ran down to number 4 thru the exhaust valve, head looks great no rust, manifold has some rust from the water.