1973 Starcraft Chieftain owner.. SKEWWWWWIE!

CoffeeHound

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 1973 Starcraft Chieftain owner.. SKEWWWWWIE!

Followed your posts , enjoyed the pictures ! If it were mine == After yanken out all the junk i could and pluggin the hole ln the transom ,, i would add a power jackplate to the transom big enough to handle what I have in mind for an O/B and "Gofur It"..

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

So wait, didn't he say he'd give you your money back? Did he renig on that?

ShowMeGuy

Chief Petty Officer

So wait, didn't he say he'd give you your money back? Did he renig on that?

Yes, He did... I texted pics last night to him and have yet to see anything back... I'm not holding my breathe on it honestly.

dozerII

Admiral

That really sucks SMG, hopefully the guy goes good on the refund!!
Glen

barato2

Commander

i know you may be sick of I/Os by now but go read the "thirsty motor" thread before you decide. the only outboards that aren't pretty fuel hoggish are modern things like either 4 strokes or direct-injection 2 strokes like the OptiMax or ETec....and those are way out of bottom feeder $ league in sizes big enough for a 21' Chieftain. consider a modern (90s) donor boat with a 4.3 V6 that you can hear run and do compression test on....

the way i see it, fuel costs will be one of the biggest limiters on our boating, and worse in the future

ShowMeGuy

Chief Petty Officer

Well we agreed I'd keep it and he send me 1/2 the money back. At least I'll keep the trailer for resale and take some frustrations out getting that gas tank out. Maybe that sterndrive is worth something to someone as well.... CL and ebay here I come.

barato2 - Good point... I think I just need to keep my ear to the ground and just wait and be patient. Heck I thought I was doing well waiting for this one.

I am just gonna take a week or so break off for a little vacation and hopefully come back fresh after memorial day weekend.... Then off to WI for a little fishing trip first of June.. Might just have to take the truck up there as seems alot more donor possibilities there.. :)

barato2

Commander

so if he follows through, you got a trailer, fuel tank, outdrive leg, and some cleats rails etc to fleebay, all for $150. shouldn't be hard to turn that situ into positive cash flow with a little work. and as the MR-1 outdrives get rarer, someone will need one.

you might try actually posting a "4.3 V6 donor wanted" ad on CL. people who hadn't thought about selling their boat-in-yard cuz they don't want to fix the floors or find the title might respond to a "No title? no problem! soft floors? no problem!" type ad. i found a good donor for 650 within 1 day after posting such an ad. others have had less success, but you only waste a few minutes writing the ad.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Then off to WI for a little fishing trip first of June.. Might just have to take the truck up there as seems alot more donor possibilities there.. :)

Now that's forward thinking, ShowMe.

ShowMeGuy

Chief Petty Officer

muuwaaaahAHAHAHA!!! Glasstron demolition begins tonight.... :) hehehe!

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Killen glassers should be a Varsity Sport here on iboats, game on!:D

erwinner

Petty Officer 1st Class

Try not to breathe in too much of the dust! Or let it get into the beer!
Good luck in the search for an un-cracked motor. Know anyone that could get you into an auto auction so you can find a 4.3L truck motor on the cheap and get the marine accessories for it? Maybe less chance of a cracked block than on a boat?

ShowMeGuy

Chief Petty Officer

Try not to breathe in too much of the dust! Or let it get into the beer!
Good luck in the search for an un-cracked motor. Know anyone that could get you into an auto auction so you can find a 4.3L truck motor on the cheap and get the marine accessories for it? Maybe less chance of a cracked block than on a boat?

I've thought of something like that. My dad has a pal that does used cards... Maybe I can get with him this summer. My other deal with that is that I'd need to still find the transom plate and ypipe and the sterndrive twith the correct gear ratio.... just more $$$$.

barato2

Commander

precisely why i keep harping on buying a donor boat. you have everything, it all talks to each other, it already has all the marine components, and it comes cheaper with a dead glasser wrapped around it. just go equipped to do extensive tests before you plunk down $.....take charged battery, comp tester set and plug wrench, trash can, garden hose, muffs, and camera.

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Yah, I'm totally with my buddy Bruce on this ^^^^;)

ShowMeGuy

Chief Petty Officer

precisely why i keep harping on buying a donor boat. you have everything, it all talks to each other, it already has all the marine components, and it comes cheaper with a dead glasser wrapped around it. just go equipped to do extensive tests before you plunk down $.....take charged battery, comp tester set and plug wrench, trash can, garden hose, muffs, and camera.

Yah, I'm totally with my buddy Bruce on this ^^^^;)

Ohh... I hear ya guys... Don't get me wrong... It will all come down to timing... If I get the cabin done and belly tank from this glasstron down with my alum. floor installed with no line on another donor... I am likely just to go get a rebuild longblock and get on the water...
But plenty of time to see....

ShowMeGuy

Chief Petty Officer

Well the ol Glasstron is swimming in a shallow grave at the landfill as of 730 AM CDT....... No tears where shed by anyone in sight... Is that normal? :)

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Yah baby! Thanks for making the world a cleaner, healthier, more friendly place to be:D

barato2

Commander

maniacal cackles of glee are more common......my wife cheered