1973 Starcraft Chieftain owner.. SKEWWWWWIE!

ShowMeGuy

Chief Petty Officer
Re: 1973 Starcraft Chieftain owner.. SKEWWWWWIE!

Took the day off to go fishing on the mississippi yesterday... Got out way to late and it was windy but was still out on my buddys 16' Mariner. Pleny of sandbars to hang out on and so a little life vest floating, esp with a 5yr old taggin along. All it all didn't catch anything... almost landed a asian carp... ugh.. friggin things... Helps me rekindle the flames on this boat.... chop chop!

ShowMeGuy

Chief Petty Officer

MMMMkk.. Been a while since I've posted an update. I've been to the metal supply store here in downtown STL, and picked up 2 sheets of diamond plate alum. .125 thickness. I have the first 2 cut down, just sitting on the top of the stringers. Will try to post a fwe pics of that, I think the floor is gonna looks good when it's done. I'm waiting on my G/Fs bro inlaw to get me a cost to make me a big alum. gas tank to fit down under the floor. Hopefully no big STICKER SHOCK!
NOW....... I have a Merc 165 motor without a big fat crack in the block. Picking it up this weekend. I'm pretty stoked about that. Anyways.. Hopefully I'll be back on this boat project in full force now that I have a powerplant. (I rebuilt the trailer on the old glasstron I sent to the landfill. Gonna be for sale soon!)
Gonna try to buy this tonight, just to get me on the river this year... :) http://stlouis.craigslist.org/boa/3200463556.html

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

That SS is pretty sweet looking;)

rheagler

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Yup, that SS looks great! Good luck!

Bwana Don

Lieutenant Commander

Welcome to the "One for now and one for later club"!

Entry into the "I killed a glasser" club duly noted. Excellent job.:D

ShowMeGuy

Chief Petty Officer

We are 200 bucks apart on the old SS... :( It didn't leave his driveway.... We shall see if he calls me back.......

Good news is that I'll have a number for the gas tank for the chieftain sometime tomorrow.... :)

jbcurt00

Staff member

We are 200 bucks apart on the old SS... :( It didn't leave his driveway.... We shall see if he calls me back......:)

Late to the party, but it seems the CL ad has come down. Hope he called ya back...............

ShowMeGuy

Chief Petty Officer

Yup.. He called me back.. I got me a 1973 SuperSport 16 footer.. :)
042612044.jpg

Check out my sweet cabin walls for the cheiftain just hangin out on the floor in the shop waitin..... and waitin.......
042612048.jpg

barato2

Commander

wow--new boat is gorgeous! matching trailer is nice touch. i'm still jealous of your "shop".

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Good looking SS and SC trailer. If we don't see updates for a while can we assume you're floating in the Super Sport? :D

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

That new SS looks excellent, well done:D

ShowMeGuy

Chief Petty Officer

AHHH SNAP guys.. I finally got off my rear and got the Merc 165 I found off the trailer and started up. Something new for me... NO WATER IN THE OIL!!! WAAAHOOO!! Ran it of like 10-15 mins. Water coming out of the exhaust elbow was warm... Got an exhaust lea at the manifold but I'm hoping that is a Gasket problem from me taking it off to verify the block wasn't cracked.... :)
Over all a very good Lunch BREAK on a work from home day... BLAM! Next up! CUtting hole in the ol transom.. ;)

spegtoast

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Your project has been a fun read. Just picked it up yesterday and read it all the way thru:) I think from reading this and seeing the transom pics I will have about the same project going soon. Im a little intimidated with taking the motor out and outdrive ugg... Guess it has to be done. Better safe than sorry.

Thanks for all your progress updates and small talk. I look forward to see your future progress. Maybe you guys can hit me up on my 78' Chieftain resto thread.

ShowMeGuy

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks for stopping by on the thread. Its kinda my man diary for this boat... IT's had it's ups and downs for sure.

Congrats on the new boat!..

ShowMeGuy

Chief Petty Officer

HEY THERE! LOOKIE HERE!!! IT"S BACK! and I gots me some new pictures to share!!! :)

The big chieftain rolled off onto some rollers with the help of a buddy and my cherry picker... Not sure I'd go this route again though... As it was a PITA. I'll have some timber gantry's for putting it back onto the trailer once I find one that is big enough and for the ol girl...

Anyways check out this float tin can on the concrete floor.. woot woot.

Just have a few more things to move and shuffle around to get it where I want and shore it up a little better...

The barn is on the list for some heat this winter hopefully.....

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Another prodigal son returns. :) Watcha got planned for her, SMG?

spegtoast

Petty Officer 2nd Class

It appears from the UFO hovering over that boat, you should get plenty of heat!

dozerII

Admiral

Welcome back, looks like a little insulation will be needed before the heat!! Will be a great place to work on her.

ShowMeGuy

Chief Petty Officer

Well yea.... I'm looking into the whole insulation stuff right now... I'd like to have a guy roll in and do some spray foam on the walls and roof... Then put in a propane furnace and hang it from the ceiling... It's just money right!?!? ugh. :rolleyes:

I've been searching for some ideas on how to crib it up and keep it on the little roller crates I have. Anyone have some pics or ideas where I can find some ideas on how to make em?

classiccat

"Captain" + Starmada Splash Of The Year 2020

Well yea.... I'm looking into the whole insulation stuff right now... I'd like to have a guy roll in and do some spray foam on the walls and roof... Then put in a propane furnace and hang it from the ceiling... It's just money right!?!? ugh. :rolleyes:

I've been searching for some ideas on how to crib it up and keep it on the little roller crates I have. Anyone have some pics or ideas where I can find some ideas on how to make em?

sweet boat SMG!

I 1st constructed the crossmembers while the boat was turtled but I actually think it would be easier with the boat right-side-up. the cross members then sit on furniture dollies. I also made the cross members wide-enough to support the gunwales when the boat is flipped...Not sure if you plan to turtle that big girl!