1973 Starcraft Capri floor/paint redo

Hubble74

Cadet
Re: 1973 Starcraft Capri floor/paint redo

Here are a couple more from what I dug into. The fiberglass stringers seem solid but the wood under them is garbage.

2013-02-09 00.02.43.jpg

2013-02-09 00.20.46.jpg

Bomber Goober

Petty Officer 2nd Class

For sure the cap needs to come off. It's looking like you will have to replace all of the stringers.

Hubble74

Cadet

Ok I am still trying to get more pics up but my lap top has decided it doesnt want to recognize my phone anymore. Well anyway I have two new sync cables on the way with plenty more pics to come. I have completely taken out all the wood and foam I can with the cap still attached. There was foam under the floor in four spots in between the outside stringers and hull. I found that when removing that foam that about the bottom 25% was soaked with water still even being in a heated garage for a couple months which comes as no surprise. It appears they put the stringers in and then 1X2" supports across the top of the stringers then heavy weave. which from the last pics I downloaded you can see there was no protection on the stingers for 2 inches about every 3 feet. I am wondering when I put the new stringers in should I even worry about those 1X2 supports? I have read many threads here and watched most of friscoboaters videos and not sure these are necessary due to the new glass floor, stringers and foam.

On a side note is there a way to delete my own posts from this thread I started from when I was trying to get full size pics to post? When I try to edit it still says you need 3 characters for this post with no option to delete that I can see. Sorry the other forums (sports radio forums) I have been in let the user delete their own posts if they wanted to.

Hubble74

Cadet

Ok I finally got some help to get the engine off yesterday. I am now trying to remove the rubber in the rub rails. I can not get this stuff to move much at all. I have tried to bend some of the corners out where it appears to be bent into the rubber from bumping into stuff over the years. I have checked on Ebay and this rubber strip is expensive. I was hoping to reuse it but not sure if that is going to be possible if I can't get this slid out in one piece. Any tips/tricks on getting this piece slid out????

Hubble74

Cadet

For sure the cap needs to come off. It's looking like you will have to replace all of the stringers.

Yes it will have to come off. The stringers are completely gone except for a few small pieces still attached to the hull. I actually got a piece of the decking out from under the front and it looked nice for a template until it dried up and turned into dust!!!

Hubble74

Cadet

Here is one of the pics I had in a thumbnail that shows the cross supports and the foam before I took all that out. You can see how the thick woven mat was draped over the stingers leaving plenty of space for water to get to them.

attachment.php

Attachments

• 2013-02-09 00.22.08.jpg
    2013-02-09 00.22.08.jpg
    148.5 KB · Views: 0

Hubble74

Cadet

Here is a pic of what is left of the middle stringer. It was all mush except the very bottom part that is attached to the hull. That middle stringer originally seems even bigger than a 2X8. Still more measurements to come.

attachment.php

Attachments

• get-attachment.jpg
    get-attachment.jpg
    148.8 KB · Views: 0