1973 Starcraft Capri floor/paint redo

Hubble74

Cadet
I have this exact same boat and getting ready to redo the floor. I rebuilt it in 2000 but just put new wood over the old floor because I was 24 and stupid. I rebuilt the transom 3 years ago using seacast (that stuff is awesome). How did you get the top off? I do not see how because the back part of the boat is all one piece of fiberglass.

Hubble74

Cadet
1973 Starcraft Capri floor/paint redo

Hi everyone. I have a 73 Starcraft Capri that has been in the family since 74. It sat in a barn from 87 to 94 when I pulled it out and gutted all the interior other than the floor. Then since I was in college sat in the back yard at my Dad's uncovered until 2000. I then pulled it out and redid the whole interior. Once again I was talked into just putting waterproof plywood over the top of the old floor which had soft spots. Well all was good until this year when I walked into the bow and the fiberglass started moving on me because the old floor was gone. That and both my seats broke also. So time to do it right this time around. I redid the transom 3 years ago with seacast. Got lucky not to lose the engine and sink it when the original transom gave way. I have read many pages on here and just signed up so I could post pics. I just took out all the interior and just ripped up the carpet and not sure I want to take out the floor I put in in 2000 because I may put my foot through everything. From what I found tonight not sure how the battery didn't fall through the original floor. My main focus is on replacing the floor but would also like to give it a new paint job. Not sure where to start now that this is a bigger project than I first thought. I am hoping to not have to take the top off to redo the flooring. Any ideas would be great.

2013-01-18 22.10.44.jpg2013-01-18 22.10.33.jpg2013-02-03 03.13.09.jpg2013-02-03 03.13.18.jpg2013-02-03 03.13.30.jpg

aspeck

Staff member
Re: 1973 Fiberglas Starcraft Capri 15

Hubbie74, we are glad you are a member of iboats! However, rule 12 states that threads over 90 days old should not be added to unless you are the original poster. It always works best if you have a question to start your own thread. I have taken the liberty of moving your post to its own thread for you. Good luck with your resto project! We LOVE pictures!

Hubble74

Cadet

Hubbie74, we are glad you are a member of iboats! However, rule 12 states that threads over 90 days old should not be added to unless you are the original poster. It always works best if you have a question to start your own thread. I have taken the liberty of moving your post to its own thread for you. Good luck with your resto project! We LOVE pictures!

sorry didn't know the 90 day rule. I have actually started a thread in the restore section with pics.

http://forums.iboats.com/boat-resto...-starcraft-capri-floor-paint-redo-590674.html

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral
Re: 1973 Starcraft Capri floor/paint redo

I just took out all the interior and just ripped up the carpet and not sure I want to take out the floor I put in in 2000 because I may put my foot through everything.

So what's the plan, just stand there and look at it?... take everything out, if you foot goes through it doesn't matter because it's all coming out.

So how do you pland to fix the deck and stringers under the bow rider area if you don't take the cap off? You do understand that your stringers are more than likely mush, don't you?

How did you repair your transom with Seacast if you didn't take some of the stern decking out?

ShepC719

Cadet

It was kind of difficult to get the top cap off, because the back part is glassed together, but I was able to use my grinder and a little leverage to break it free. I had to make a few repairs, but it wasn't a big deal since I had to fix the cracks in the transom. You need to grind between the lip and the transom. Just take your time and all should go good. If you need more help I will do my best to help and I know there are a lot of other guys on here with way more knowledge than me. Thanks and good luck!

Hubble74

Cadet

So what's the plan, just stand there and look at it?... take everything out, if you foot goes through it doesn't matter because it's all coming out.

So how do you pland to fix the deck and stringers under the bow rider area if you don't take the cap off? You do understand that your stringers are more than likely mush, don't you?

How did you repair your transom with Seacast if you didn't take some of the stern decking out?

I have many pics of how we repaired the Transom also. We cut a rectangular section off dug out all the rotten wood then refiberglassed the piece back on and poured in the seacast.

I do understand that my stringers are toast. I hadn't figured out a plan to fix the bow area just yet. Still not sure how to take the top off because the splashwell ties the top and bottom together into one piece. I imagine that will have to be cut apart.

I am trying to download some of the transom pics but it says files are to large. I will get them on here tonight.

Hubble74

Cadet

Transom redo pics. This all happened 4 years ago. I assume to take the top off I will have to cut apart the splashwell similar to what we did to the transom that gave us access to all the rotten wood.

Cutout.jpgseacast.jpgfinal.jpgplywood.jpgprimer.jpg

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

I'd cut the deck out first to see what you have to do. You might be able to sister in the stringers and not have to remove the cap.

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

I'd start buy pulling up that top layer of plywood and then stomping the rotten deck beneath, then shovel what was stomped out and pull the stuff that didn't break out by hand. Rotten wood is much easier to remove than half rotten wood.

You're not going to hurt anything other than rotten wood.

Hubble74

Cadet

Wow I have started more of a project than I thought. Not a problem but I just keep reading threads and getting a little overwhelmed. Of course I thought that with the transom and it turned out great. I am hoping to get all the wiring out and floor up by this weekend and the engine off.

I have a couple questions: 1. Since it is still on the trailer should I figure out how to cradle it before I tear the floor apart? 2. I would really like to repaint the whole thing since I am going to get this involved and am leaning toward taking the cap off to do this based on some of the threads I have read. Is this the best way to repaint the whole thing?

I will do this project since this is a "family heirloom" now in my possession plus I have already spent a whole summer on the transom. Thanks for the info so far guys. More pics after I really tear into the mess of the floor.

Hubble74

Cadet

Ok I got a late start tonight but here is what I found so far. Wet wood just like the transom was. This pic was me just hitting it with a pair of channel locks after I got the layer of glass up. Can't wait to find out exactly how it looks underneath. Also why is this not letting me post from photobucket? I would like to get these pics in the post and not actually have to click on them. 2013-02-08 01.50.53.jpg

Hubble74

Cadet

jpg.gif

Attachments

• jpg.gif
    jpg.gif
    183 bytes · Views: 0
  • 2013-02-08 01.50.53.jpg
    2013-02-08 01.50.53.jpg
    140.9 KB · Views: 0

Hubble74

Cadet

jpg.gif

Attachments

2013-02-08 01.50.53.jpg
  • 2013-02-08015053.jpg
    2013-02-08015053.jpg
    103.7 KB · Views: 0

Hubble74

Cadet

jpg.gif

Attachments

2013-02-08 01.50.53.jpg

Hubble74

Cadet

Ok got into some real digging tonight. I have to go get the cutoff wheel at my dads house to get the original glass off at the edges but it seems like a time to start taking measurements now. Starting to look more and more like the top is going to have to come off. there is a cross support under that fiberglass bow I am not sure can be replaced with it on it.

2013-02-09 00.36.02.jpg

2013-02-09 00.26.49.jpg