1973 Starcraft 16ft SS restore

glnbnz

Chief Petty Officer
Re: 1973 Starcraft 16ft SS restore

Ouch well I guess it isn't officially a restore until you get your first injury lol.

Stay safe my friend!!

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Thumbscrews are torture tools. :rolleyes: Thumbs up on the trailer work. I'm looking for more progress reports to thumb through. :D

RXDOC

Cadet

Well got a couple buddies over tonight and flipped the shell without incident. It was their first peek at the boat up to this point and both were happy with the painting results.
It is so good to see it in a position that I know it can float in. That upside down look just isn't right.

329.jpg

330.jpg

Looks like a lot of fun ahead!

So guys where do I start now? Should I tackle the transom or flooring next? Any suggestions (of course there are)?

jbcurt00

Staff member

Did you pull the interior & transom out?

I'd put it back in the same order as Starcraft. If the transom stopped at or above the top of the deck height, it went in 2nd.

If the transom wood was below the deck height it was 1st, the floor deck 2nd.

Being what is best described as a recent SC owner (@2-2.5 hrs:facepalm:) and I haven't yet laid hands on her, this next bit is wholly speculative: The deck was probably 1st, and the transom was 2nd and stops at or just above the deck height.

The availability of pool noodles, may make the deck 1st somewhat problematic. Of course there doesn't yet seem to be any GluVit on yet, so..

Looks good on the trailer & upright!

Have a good rest of the week!

RXDOC

Cadet

Well it's settled then. On to the floor. Actually the Gluvit was already applied before I flipped it for the hull exterior paint. The pool noodles i've had for a couple months now collecting dust in the corner of the garage. Time to dig out the old floor pieces for some templates and get busy.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

As you can see on a tinnie, the transom has zilch to do with the floor so it absolutely doesn't matter which you do first. On mine that project got put off till pretty close to the end.

You have a squeaky clean base to start working on. Very nice work.

RXDOC

Cadet

So after getting the boat flipped nearly 2 weeks ago I'm finally getting back to it. Been a little crazy lately. I turned in my notice at work after 8 years and will be starting a new job after this week. Hope that turns out well?!
I started in on the floor. I had no templates for the flooring as it was all so rotted it came out in pieces small enough to be shop vac'd out almost (ok not quite that bad but you get the picture). It went ok wishing now I would have spent a little more time and effort on the section under the front bow seats. I'm gonna have to come up with something to fill in the space between the rib that is a little more open than I like. I don't want anything sliding down under my floor to never be seen again and just rattle around under there.
I am putting in a rod locker. Actually it is cut in already I just don't have a good picture of the finished floor.
So what I have so far as an idea for the layout is this:

335.jpg

337.jpg

Obviously the splashwell is not in the picture yet so there will be lost space in the rear but I think it will all fit nicely.

My plan is to paint the floor after epoxy coating all the wood in the boat.
I also do have a question, however.
I am currently planning on painting the other wood panels after epoxy coating also, such as the bow seating area, the fronts of the cockpit areas and the gunwale side panels instead of marine vinyl or carpet. Does anybody have any opinions on this? Will it hold up well enough? My plan is to use the Rust-O-leum marine topside paint that I already have over the epoxy.

By the way, is it best to post my questions in my build thread here or elsewhere?

jbcurt00

Staff member

Obviously the splashwell is not in the picture yet so there will be lost space in the rear but I think it will all fit nicely.

My plan is to paint the floor after epoxy coating all the wood in the boat.
I also do have a question, however.
I am currently planning on painting the other wood panels after epoxy coating also, such as the bow seating area, the fronts of the cockpit areas and the gunwale side panels instead of marine vinyl or carpet.

Does anybody have any opinions on this?
Will it hold up well enough?

My plan is to use the Rust-O-leum marine topside paint that I already have over the epoxy.

By the way, is it best to post my questions in my build thread here or elsewhere?

If it's related to putting your boat back together (Boat restoration, Building, and Hull Repair) post the Q's here.:)

Maybe you can cut some crescents of plywood to cover the void under the bow seats. Lost anything, but esp lures, would certainly make a heck of a rattle down under the floor of a tin boat:facepalm:. Hidden under the bow seats, it doesn't need to be about looks, just function to keep stuff out from under the floor.

If you want to move to a glasser to minimize underfloor rattling, just PM me an address & leave her out in the driveway. We'll get her picked up & out of your hair!:eek: Might just be able to leave a rattle free glasser behind too:rolleyes:

I accept the abuse this ^^^ will garner.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Hi, Doc. Keep all your questions here in your thread. That way they don't get lost and you have a better chance getting answers/advice. Some of the guys have used the Rusto over epoxy and I'm sure they will chime in. The Rusto marine is made for painting fiberglass so it should work on the epoxy.

From the Rustoleum web site "OVERVIEW:
Rust-Oleum Marine Coatings Topside Paint provides gloss retention and UV resistance in extreme weather conditions. Apply to fiberglass, wood or metal surfaces above the waterline. Flexible formula is easy to apply."

Note to JB - That's one! :(

jbcurt00

Staff member

No credit for adding a +1 tin to my fleet? That makes me tin heavy by 50%:confused: If this was baseball I'd be batting .667 tin:D

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

You may want to cut a new bow tip floor piece to get it up into the bow a little better. Your second sheet looks about like mine. Losing crap down there is certainly a valid concern. Although we generally advocate against using Great Stuff expanding foam in a boat, a little bit applied here to seal up that crevice might not be a bad idea. I like your seating arrangement with a pedestal on one side and a back to back on the other. I'd recommend adding some thickness underneath where you're going to mount the pedestal. I'd also recommend you invest in a better quality pedestal for the driver's seat. Those black sheet metal pedestals are fairly terrible and unless you're a real lightweight, I kinda doubt it will hold up real long as you're skipping over waves at 35MPH. Springfield has a scratch and dent store on their web site with some deals.

RXDOC

Cadet

If you want to move to a glasser to minimize underfloor rattling, just PM me an address & leave her out in the driveway. We'll get her picked up & out of your hair!:eek: Might just be able to leave a rattle free glasser behind too:rolleyes:

I accept the abuse this ^^^ will garner.

JB, I think for now I will just keep that address to myself and keep plugging away on the one I'm dedicated to now. Thanks for the offer though. I will let the regulars reprimand you for your crazy talk! :)

RXDOC

Cadet

By the way thanks for the answers guys!

EZ, I plan to add a chunk under the pedestal already. My thought was to epoxy it underneath the floor. Epoxy in some T-nuts and bolt the pedestal to the floor. I debated on the pedestal since it was the budget version. Sounds like I should go get something else though. I appreciate the advice.

RXDOC

Cadet

Hey guys. Haven't done much to the boat in the last week unfortunately too busy with new job and went coyote hunting since we had a good dose of spring weather to enjoy instead. Anyway quick question... One of the local sporting good stores has a ton of old props they would like to get rid of. I can't find a part number or anything on the prop on the boat other than the marking 121 and just below that 7. I don't know how to measure one. Anybody know what the original prop measures. I think all i need to know is diameter and pitch right. As a reminder from previous the motor is a Evinrude 65hp 3cyl model #65373R. On the box of the prop at the store it says for Evinrude/Johnson 3cyl (w/small gearcase) 75hp sprint & formula E diameter 12-1/2 x 13 pitch. They would probably let it go for about $25. Will it work?

dozerII

Admiral

Hey RX, You will have to pull your prop off the motor and the size should be embossed in the hub.
Glen

jbcurt00

Staff member

J
13-3/4 X 17RH391199AL3OLD BLADE DESIGNL710-QA3036R
J12-3/4 X 21RH389788AL3OLD BLADE DESIGNL710-QA3046R
J14 X 21RH176216AL3NEW BLADE DESIGNL710-QA3048R
J13-1/8 X 16RH389949SS3FLO-TORQ II HUBL710-QS5136H
J13 X 18RH176572SS3FLO-TORQ II HUBL710-QS5138H
J13-1/2 X 22RH394760SS3FLO-TORQ II HUBL710-QS5142H
J13-1/2 X 24RH397461SS3FLO-TORQ II HUBL710-QS5144H

Using your model #65373R, a 1973 3cyl 65hp Evinrude should take any of the above sized props. On the off chance the PO didn't put a correct prop on it, I'd use 1 of these sized props. Any good marine dealer (online or brick & mortar) should be able to cross reference the props. This is by no means a definitive list, but it looks like 12.5 X 13 would be under sized in either diameter or pitch, maybe both.

It was just the 1st cross reference for Evinrude I found that went back to 1973. It shows 1972 & 73 65hp 3cyl use the same prop 'family' J, and these were all the J props listed.

RXDOC

Cadet

Great info guys, thanks.

Love this forum!!

RXDOC

Cadet

Believe it or not I am still working on the restore. Trying to squeeze it in even though the new job requires much more of my time. I definitely missed my goal of splashing it in the lake on the 4th of July. Oh well time to set a new goal. So let me update everyone with some tidbits and of course pictures. I have the floor installed and included a rod/ski locker in the floor (lost some space for the pool noodles in the process but not too worried). The top cap and bow cap and bow cross brace are all reinstalled and painted. I replaced the wood cross bracing with marine board. That stuff is easy to work with but I found out it is heavy. The gunwale storage I painted with trunk splatter paint. It was cheap and hides the vinyl glue mess well. Hopefully it holds up in the long run. The interior of the hull is all painted. I have the cockpits back in and the bow seating structures are reinstalled. The plywood is all cut epoxied and primed for the bow seating just working on painting it this week. The console panel is almost done. I have a new tach installed, just no wires any where yet. The steering wheel is mounted and the light switch (no pics of that yet). I will post more pics as soon as I get the bow seating installed. It's been so long hopefully I remember how to do these pics:
351.jpg

epoxied floor installed (believe it or not got it riveted in with all the holes aligning on the first try, WHEW!

354.jpg

Floor painted with sand texture mixed in last coat.

369.jpg

378.jpg

Oh yeah and the windows are installed, That actually really started to make it look like a boat again!

405.jpg

The marine board for the console replacing the crappy rotted out wood.

Let's hope I can keep at it for a while now!