1973 Starcraft 16ft SS restore

wlg

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 1973 Starcraft 16ft SS restore

Nice work. I don't think you are moving that slow. I started last March and still have to do my motor and trailer.
What size motor are you running? I see what looks like a dark blue strip around the top of the boat. I used white and dark blue on mine, but the blue was thru the middle.
Looking forward to more.

RXDOC

Cadet

Thanks everyone. Well after I posted the pic I realized that there was a little sneak peak of the hull paint scheme. There will be better pics to follow soon hopefully.

wlg I'm running a 65hp 1973 Evinrude. I originally was going to do a paint scheme exactly like yours. Then I photoshopped a couple paint schemes options. My wife didn't like it as much as the navy blue on the top. We all know how important it is to keep the misses happy and onboard with a project like this so I decided to paint it the way she liked.

Well time to head out to the garage.
Happy boating to those with open water!

jbcurt00

Staff member

Great job on the trailer, & the sneak peek at the boat paint looks good too!

Have a good mid-week day tomorrow.

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

It's good stuff to have trailer work behind ya!:)

dozerII

Admiral

It's good stuff to have trailer work behind ya!:)

I second that, redoing the trailer is like that last job on your honeydo list that keeps getting pushed to the bottom. Great job.
glen

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

I second that, redoing the trailer is like that last job on your honeydo list that keeps getting pushed to the bottom. Great job.
glen

And you feel like a real doofus when the boat's all done and the trailer isn't. Been there.

glnbnz

Chief Petty Officer

Yes the trailer definitely looks top notch!! Congrats on getting it finished. Now on to other things :)

RXDOC

Cadet

Yes the trailer definitely looks top notch!! Congrats on getting it finished. Now on to other things :)

Hold on, don't get ahead of me now. It's not finished yet still need to put all the pieces back together. it won't roll very well with the axle still sitting on the sawhorses. I'm getting there though.

Thanks for the encouragement everybody.

Gand

Recruit

That's going to be a great boat, can't wait to see the photos of how it's paint job came out. Your trailer looks so great it's making me want to paint mine after the boat is off and I'm giving it the TLC it so despratly needs.

RXDOC

Cadet

It's now official. The hull exterior paint is complete!! Used Rustoleum metal primer and Rustoleum topside paint. The bottom and pinstripe are battleship gray, the main body is white (obviously) and the top stripe is navy blue. There are three coats of each covering the boat. Two coats of the white would have been plenty until my air compressor drain sprung a leak and sprayed rusty water all over one side. Which meant sanding it down and applying a third coat to fix that mess. Air compressor was being used for something totally different as the boat was painted using the roll and tip method. Roll on the paint and then back brush. All in all I am pretty pleased with the results. My wife and kids think it looks pretty good. The key is to keep them happy or the financing of the process definitely takes a hit.
Well now on to the pics, we will just go counter clockwise around the boat:

313.jpg

317.jpg

316.jpg

314.jpg

315.jpg

If you guys like the paint scheme great, if not too bad I'm not redoing it. Once was enough.
Now I just need to round up some guys to get it flipped back onto the trailer. My wife and I flipped it off by ourselves but I'm not taking a chance of scratching all the new paint right away.

Time to get started on the new transom I guess!

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

I like the shape of that blue stripe at the top, very sharp!:)

Decker83

Commander

I think your boat turned out very nice and clean..
Looks great.
Looking forward to seeing the inside get completed.

jbcurt00

Staff member

Good looking paint scheme! Look forward to seeing it topside up, scratch-free & sitting pretty on the trailer!

Nicely done!

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Doc, I think you should make the blue gray and the gray blue. Oh, no re-paint so I see you aren't going to listen to me. That's OK - I don't either. LOL

She is gonna look great after the flip. Seriously the tri-color looks good. I like it.

rheagler

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Nice paint scheme. That boat looks pretty sharp!

dozerII

Admiral

Great job on the paint RX, now to flip it without and oh S#$%'s looking good.
Glen

evolution1985

Petty Officer 1st Class

It's now official.
If you guys like the paint scheme great, if not too bad I'm not redoing it. Once was enough.
Now I just need to round up some guys to get it flipped back onto the trailer. My wife and I flipped it off by ourselves but I'm not taking a chance of scratching all the new paint right away.

Time to get started on the new transom I guess!

Mate I think you have done a kick A## job. I love the way you have followed the factory seems of the boat with your paint and you have really highlighted the lines of the hull. you can tell that a heap of time and effort has gone into that. congratulations mate, it'll look fantastic on that refurbished trailer. :D
I love seeing people who really take the time with a project and do it properly first time around. it gives me motivation to start tearing into mine.lols As soon as the misses gives the ok its game on. I will be watching this build and wish you all the best with the rest of the work to go. oh and thats awesome news about the motor! they rock, I remember when I was a youngster I'd go fishing with my uncle, he had a 74 on his, doesn't go anymore its still under a tree out the back somewhere I think. but I remember poking along with it. great fum.

glnbnz

Chief Petty Officer

That is a nice paint job!! I am partial to blue :)

RXDOC

Cadet

Well amongst some family time with the In-laws, some snowboarding with one of my daughters and running the other daughter to and from lifeguarding class this weekend I was able to find a few hours to finish the trailer and be ready to flip the boat back to it's dry dock home. Only thing left is to mount the lights and wire them in. I am more anxious to get back to the boat right now than worry about whether or not I have functional brake lights.

So as not to hold out here are some updated pics:

250.jpg

So this is the before pic again. Just thought I would repost as a reference point.

325.jpg

Looks really long in this pic. Well the only major modification from the original is that I removed the original 1-7/8" coupler and had a new 2" coupler welded on.

324.jpg

327.jpg

I also redesigned the bunks so there is more surface area for the boat to rest on. It's kind of a funky trailer with the combination of rollers and then the bunks pivot up after being loaded with the levers on the rearmost bunk post. It worked well back in the day so I just updated it and kept the layout the same.

328.jpg

Oh yeah, figured I would include this. I have made it all the way thru the deconstruction and up to this point this is my first injury of the project. It came from those damn bunks. Apparently I thought it necessary to try to screw my thumb into the bunk instead of the screw. Drilling into your thumb smarts a little every time. If that is the worst of it though no complaints here.

Well now to make a few phone calls and round up a posse to flip the sucker over! Can't wait to