1972 Starcraft Nova

captainnate

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Since I'm in super slow motion with this project and I've had the boat floor out for a while, I noticed that area in front of the first rib holds a cup or two of water when it rains. That area is full of sealant goo that must be blocking the water from escaping. I store the boat outside with a cover. However, water still finds its way in. Should I drill a couple little drain holes in the first rib? Seems like they might just get clogged easy. Should I make an access hole so I can shopvac the water out? Seems like water sitting in there will cause that front floor board to rot faster. Thanks.

jdvasher

Petty Officer 1st Class
Since I'm in super slow motion with this project and I've had the boat floor out for a while, I noticed that area in front of the first rib holds a cup or two of water when it rains. That area is full of sealant goo that must be blocking the water from escaping. I store the boat outside with a cover. However, water still finds its way in. Should I drill a couple little drain holes in the first rib? Seems like they might just get clogged easy. Should I make an access hole so I can shopvac the water out? Seems like water sitting in there will cause that front floor board to rot faster. Thanks.
Do you have a picture of the situation. Generally I would not recommend drilling into the ribs as that's the backbone of your boat. It might be better to just get a cover that doesn't allow water into the boat.

MNhunter1

Ensign
Assuming you are storing it outside and the water is coming in from the cover of the stripped down hull, I wouldn't worry about it. Once the bow cap is back on, if the boat is stored correctly, that area will never see water unless it is leaking in from the hull. If you really wanted to keep on eye on it, I'd just add a small round screw-in or pop-out inspection plate to the deck over that area. You could then just soak it up with a sponge or suck it out with a vacuum if it remains an issue.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
You 72 would have limber holes bent into the rib for water passage to the bilge but they get clogged up pretty easy. Some guys clean them out with a hacksaw blade. You can start by using a pressure washer or whatever you have and spray water at the rib end openings. The later 70's they quit even worrying about the limber hole bends in the ribs since they become ineffective so quickly and that amount of water is nothing top worry about..