1972 16' SS Build

cj8mule

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: 1972 '18 SS Rebuild

On to more pleasant things.....

I got some new bunks and sides built for the trailer. The trailer winch and bow stop got moved up higher on the post. There is still not enough weight on the tongue, but it is much better.

The motor has been fired up, new rectifier installed, guages wired, and the link and sync is done. There are some more things to do, but it's basically ready to splash. Woo hoo!

The new rectifier fixed the broken tach. I've wired the trim/tilt gauge correctly but it reads only in the down position. So, the switch is bad at the TT unit or there is a short in the indicator wire. I had a matching speedo gauge so I installed that, but will need to buy a new pickup tube. I know the speedo gauge is not very accurate, but I'm not interested in how fast I can go.

cj8mule

Google search...

All boats manufactured or imported on or after November 1, 1972 must bear a HIN. The HIN is a 12 character serial number that uniquely identifies your boat.

I'm a guessin' that this SS was built before 1 Nov 72...

Thank goodness I at least found a serial number!

dozerII

Admiral

Hey CJ, the boat is looking great. By the looks of the winch post set up, you could shorten up the bow stop mount some, to get the bow eye closer to the winch, this would pull the boat a little further forward on the trailer for more tongue weight.
Glen

cj8mule

I have that trailer. Moving the axle will take you about 20 minutes.

http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w200/ezmobee/New Boat/DSCF2353.jpg

You can see from the rusty spot, I had to move mine back a bit as well
http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w200/ezmobee/New Boat/DSCF2719.jpg

Thanks EZ. I remember in your thread where you moved the axle and what is got me to looking on mine for extra holes. I've got the tongue where I want it now and am going to move the axle back at least one set of holes.

cj8mule

Awesome news today! A very nice lady named Janet at the Colorado Fish and Game walked my registration through all the hoops. Getting the boat registered with a serial number instead of a HIN was no big deal for her. She even emailed me a temporary 60 day permit so we can have a weekend splash date!

I'm like a 16 year old school boy going on a first date. The only problem is my little girl is graduating HS next Thursday and I've spent most of my free time on the boat instead of the house. I better get to the honey do list and get my better half happy before I get the boat wet.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

The old gal is looking grand, CJ. A far cry from the first pics you posted. No more garden inside.

My SC had a legible tag, but the DNR ranger said it was a lot easier to to just put a state issued HIN on her. So I have my original tag for historical purposes and the state HIN for legality. Hope Colorado stops fooling around so you can get on the water.

EDIT - Well never mind. They got off their duffs. I have an idea for a graduation party. It involves tin and water. :D

cj8mule

Thanks GA! My wife is from Michigan and my FIL used to have some SC. He's coming down and I can't wait to show him this old boat and talk to him about the old ones he used to have. I've not seen their family pictures in over 20 some years but I remember a boat they had looked alot like a 21' Chieftain.

This tin can stuff can really grow on you. I'm already looking for a 21' Islander at a bottom feeder price! Problem is that all the SC's are pretty scarce around here. I would really like to get a complete boat this time. I'll probably have to travel out of state to find one so if you guys see a decent complete one let me know. (When I say complete... I mean windshield, console,... etc. Don't care about the engine or trailer)

cj8mule

We got to splash the boat yesterday and catch a few fish! Totally awesome to put some fresh fish slime on the new deck.

I was a little concerned with how this boat would handle the big V4 weight and power. She sat great in the water and put a big smile on this old man's face coming out of the hole. The SS handles great and is a lot dryer ride than I thought it would be.

Now I need to convince my wife that I need to spend some more of our childrens inheritance to finance another SC. lol

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Congrats on the splash, CJ. And caught some fish too. BTW - you earned the money to spend anyway you see fit. The kids can inherit the tinnies! Just keep having fun.

dozerII

Admiral

Congrats as well on the Splash, good to catch fish on the first time out, seems to be the theme this season.
Glen

cj8mule

I only ran the boat a few miles on my last fishing trip off of a 6 gallon can... it almost emptied the can. The donar boat gave me a poly 18 gallon tank that I wanted to use but just couldn't figure out where to put it. I wanted to put it in the bow but there just isn't enough room for it. I ended up putting it in the back partially under the splashwell.

I don't think I like the little seat and probably will try my hand in stitching some vinyl. I think it would be better to have the whole bench be the seat. Or I guess I could just put another short back folding seat.

BonairII

Commander

I only ran the boat a few miles on my last fishing trip off of a 6 gallon can... it almost emptied the can.

Those V-4's are nice motors, but they sure do know how to make fuel disappear in a hurry. My old V-4 sucked up fuel shockingly fast.

Makes me appreciate my 3-cyl more and more.

DirtyHarry83

Petty Officer 1st Class

That is a very nice boat build. You did and are doing some great work.

I seem to remember my Dad's 2 stroke 112 being more gas hungry than his current 4 stroke 225 Suzuki.
I still like the 2 strokes for the reason they give that smell of an outboard, and the roar.
I also like how clean your Outboard looks. I may have missed it but did you have to re detail that outboard?

cj8mule

Now that the 18' SS is up and going, it's time to clean up the 16' SS and get it ready to sell. The console I built is really huge and bulky. The floor is also very ugly. So.... I removed all the seat boxes and console.

I'm going to repaint the topside, build a new side console out of aluminum, sand down the floor a little bit and carpet it.

Here's a pic of the seat boxes carpeted: