Supreme Mariner
Re: 1972 '18 SS Rebuild

Dood, love the Jeep! Had a CJ7 back in the day:cool:

dozerII

Admiral

Hey Cj, love the jeep and the SS project. Just thinking with the number of holes you have to fill if you might be better off to put a piece of 1/8"aluminum over the outside off you transom with 5200. This would ensure it not leaking and would look good and be a lot easier than sanding all that JB. Just a thought.
Glen

cj8mule

Senior Chief Petty Officer

That triangular thing you call a skeg is simply a knee brace.
Thanks Kev! I've enjoyed reading your projects.

Just thinking with the number of holes you have to fill if you might be better off to put a piece of 1/8"aluminum over the outside off you transom with 5200. This would ensure it not leaking and would look good and be a lot easier than sanding all that JB. Just a thought.
That's an awesome idea Glen. I already have one from the donor glass boat that's about the same size as the stock wood piece. My thoughts were to go back with the massive alum plate since I believe I'm pushing the upper limit on the motor size. Actually, I think blowing by the limit. There isn't a HIN or manufacture plate, but I believe I read on this forum that the limit was like 120 hp and I'm using a 140 hp.

What is the main difference between PL Premium and 5200? Adhesion or UV protection?

dozerII

Admiral

5200 would be the better product for the application for those reasons and I think stronger, I have found pl does not stick to aluminum that well.
Glen

barato2

Commander

CJ, i think later 18' hulls were rated for 140hp and it's the same hull AFAIK. maybe addtl knee braces? the base 4 cyl Mercruiser is now 140 hp so there are a lot of 18' SSs, holidaze, Starchiefs running around with 140hp. if your motor weight is similar to 120hp OB, no worries.

nice jeep, by the way. not only will you not even know the SS is back there weightwise, but it's tall enough that you might be able to see something besides BOW in your rearview mirror

cj8mule

5200 would be the better product for the application for those reasons and I think stronger, I have found pl does not stick to aluminum that well.
Thanks again Glen! I started cleaning up the alum skin some yesterday. I'm assuming the white substance that I'm trying to take off is 5200. Has some serious adhesion!

CJ, i think later 18' hulls were rated for 140hp and it's the same hull
Thanks barato2!

I didn't get done as much as I wanted to this weekend, but I did finish cutting out the floor and getting 3 coats on it (with the exception of some of the bow pieces). I had to step back and start to solidify how I want to lay out the seating in the boat. I chose to go back with 1/2" birch ply and will need to put some 3/4" bracing in some strategic places where I want to mount things. I'm 99% sure that I will be building a CC and bow live well out of wood and fiberglass. We'll see about the livewell as I could live without one where we do most of our fishing.

I've not drawn up the CC yet and have been milling some ideas around in the old noodle. I'm not sure what my kind of steering is called, but it has a rectangular tube about 16" long right below the steering wheel (mounted parallel with the floor). This connects to a pretty thick and stiff cable leading to the motor. Will I be able to rotate this down 45 or so degrees and it still operate correctly? I don't see anything wrong and would think that it would be OK. I just want to run it by a few of the experts before I spend so much time building a CC. The main motivation for turning the tube down would be for the cable's exit out of the CC.

barato2

Commander

OK, Senor "didn't get as much done as i wanted to this weekend"---you've gotten more done in a few weeks than i've completed in months on my holiday......

you may be able to use your old steering cable if it's the right length. if you have to buy a cable or unit, the Uflex rotary is much more compact than the old rack and pinions (the long tube you refer to) and cheap besides.....i think i paid like 120ish.

i'm heading the same direction with a CC in my 18' holiday and will post pix and progress as i go....although you'll probably pass me up in about 3 days! i ditched the jump seat idea and designed mine big enough to stow house battery and kicker gas tank....floor footprint is about 23x25".

cj8mule

OK, Senor "didn't get as much done as i wanted to this weekend"---you've gotten more done in a few weeks than i've completed in months on my holiday......
LOL barato. Understand that in TX the weather goes straight from winter to summer! This is prime fishing time and the plan is to have this thing splashed near the end of the May or middle of June. I know that's a very lofty goal so we'll see.

I finally found a new motor for the compressor yesterday so I could do some cleaning with a wire wheel and DA sander yesterday. And... most importantly starting the construction phase! Demo is always fun, but it's nice to see some stuff go back into the boat.

I put a black arrow to what I think is the boats HIN. Is it? If so, it is totally illegible. There won't be any cleaning that thing up. If TWPD or coast guard pulls me over, will I get into trouble for this?

barato2

Commander

it may or may not be a HIN but i don't think it is. first off, your boat may or may not even be new enough to have one....mid 72 is when the fed HIN requirement for a 12 digit # like the VIN was intro'd. before that, they just had the mfgr's serial #, which would usually be in the format like 65 K 6009. secondly, it's very much in the wrong place to be either a HIN or mfgr's serial #:

A Hull Identification Number (HIN) is a unique set of 12 characters, similar to the Vehicle Identification Number which is found on automobiles. The HIN may be found on the aft of the vessel in the uppermost right corner. Also, the HIN may be stated on the title, registration, and insurance documents.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hull_number

finally, if it ain't 12 digits, that pretty much settles it. some states have procedures for pre-HIN boats where they assign their own state ID # and this may be what you're seeing.

cj8mule

if it ain't 12 digits, that pretty much settles it
Thanks barato. There's only a 6 digit number that is legible so must be some state issued SN.

Had a pretty good day today and should be able to paint this weekend. I need to find some drain tubes for the splash well so I can 5200 it and screw it in. The new transom went in very nicely, but still need to fill in some of the old holes the PO drilled. Installed the floor today and also got some sanding prep done for paint.

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

Looking good!!
B2 is right..My 18 foot SS is max rated for 140 hp..
He's also right you have done more in a few days than some of us (read as ME!) have done in a month! My SS hit the water a few weeks ago and has sat waiting for me to have free time to do the transom..

dave 524

Seaman

Honestly I don't think this is an 18 SS hull, the cutout at the transom is not notched deep enough and there is no filler hole for a built in gas tank. Me thinks it was originally a 18 Mariner, which is a bit narrower and shallower than the SS hull and max HP would be 120.

cj8mule

Honestly I don't think this is an 18 SS hull, the cutout at the transom is not notched deep enough and there is no filler hole for a built in gas tank. Me thinks it was originally a 18 Mariner, which is a bit narrower and shallower than the SS hull and max HP would be 120

I don't think it's a 18 SS either. There wasn't a title and I was just going by what the boat salvage yard said it was. After running the reg numbers it came back as a 16' SS built in 1972. So max hp rating is 85... :(

dave 524

Seaman

I don't think it's a 18 SS either. There wasn't a title and I was just going by what the boat salvage yard said it was. After running the reg numbers it came back as a 16' SS built in 1972. So max hp rating is 85... :(

I was going on the assumption it was in fact an 18 foot hull, 18 foot Mariners at that time were a little like a stretch model of the 16 SS with similar beam and depth.

cj8mule

I need to change this threads title to appropriately represent starmada? Is this something EZ has to do? Or can I?

dozerII

Admiral

You can do it in the edit post screen, nice progress you are making cj.
Glen

cj8mule

Got a little more work done on the SS the last few days. The boat's in primer and am expecting to paint tomorrow if the weather holds.

I've built a little console. This was going to be a CC, but have changed my mind since this is only a 16' er. I have a nice old school wrap around windshield frame to mount also.

cj8mule

Re: 1972 16' SS Build

I'm still wavering on what to do for the bench in the back. Guess I just need to sit down and have a beer and think about it. Probably need to get the console in there so I can make vroom vroom sounds and see if I have room for a bench.

cj8mule

Re: 1972 16' SS Build

Does anyone have any direct experience with this wise boat seat? I weigh around 210 and am concerned this seat might be a little stressed.

I like the price at $41 and the fact they're not going to rot.