1972 16' SS Build

cj8mule

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: 1972 16' SS Build

I tried that sand trick in on the floor. The paint dried to quick... or I was to slow getting the sand down after the first coat of paint. I'm pretty sure that it was a failure and I'll have to try that again. I'll just have to take the sand in the boat with me and spread it as I paint.

The paint I used was from HD and is the Rustoleum brand. I thought I might have a little trouble with the primer because it was a latex for aluminium. It did cover well and had good adhesion so I'd recommend it.

One more thing checked off the list.... and 65 more things to go.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

I really like the paint so far. However I would like it a more if the white continued to the bow tip ignoring that seam.

My buddy's Chieftain came with one of those plastic seats in it. Gets the job done and certainly seems to have withstood the test of time but to me the whole thing seems wobbly. Wal-Mart has some nice prices on Wise seats that are much nicer and won't cost you but $10-20 more.

cj8mule

I really like the paint so far. However I would like it a more if the white continued to the bow tip ignoring that seam.
Thanks EZ. I agree.

My buddy's Chieftain came with one of those plastic seats in it. Gets the job done and certainly seems to have withstood the test of time but to me the whole thing seems wobbly. Wal-Mart has some nice prices on Wise seats that are much nicer and won't cost you but $10-20 more.
Thanks. That just confirmed my suspicion.

I have lots of decisions to make right now about the interior set up. I thought it would be easier than this since the boat was pretty much gutted when I got it. It looks like another late night going through some of these great builds on here. I think I've spent more time on iboats forum than working on the boat. ha ha. I sure appreciate all the builds on here for ideas. Thanks

Stephenatx

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 1972 '18 SS Rebuild

Cj the po on my ss did the exact same thing with bolts through the transom instead of screws from the inside.i didn't like the way it looked, plus the bolt heads got in the way of mounting my kicker motor. I used jb weld t fill the holes, but before i put it on I cut some two inch by two inch squares from thin aluminum and glued them to the inside of the transom so that the jb weld has more to grip to than just the hole in the transom. I think I have seen that others on here have done the same

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

That's the way to patch the holes ^^^^ without welding and grinding. The backing helps to stop the "popping" of the JB. Probably 96 out of a 100 rebuilds do it that way.

barato2

Commander

funny you should mention it. i've got some quality time with the Holiday planned for exactly that activity this eve. using the alum i took out of my Lone Star; hope that won't besmirch the escutcheon of the SC to install Lone Star parts.....

cj8mule

lol B2... I don't think so at least not from me. I have some very fond memories of a Lone Star. Sure wish I could dig up some pictures of that old boat. My father began a resto on a '65 glass Lone Star that I got to finish for him when he got the cancer. We had some good fishing memories in that old boat in between the chemotherapy.

Stephenatx

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hey Barato, lone star parts probably wouldn't Besmirch Starcraft as much as what I used for the backing on the holes I needed to fill. Bought short length of dryer duct, worked great, thin flexible and the JB stuck to it with no problem.

cj8mule

We changed the paint on the bow around a little. I gave my 14 year old a chance at the gun and he did very well!!

I got another coat of paint on the sand coated floor. This time I sprayed a little 2 square foot area and immediately put some sand down. Then, went over it again 2 days later with a real heavy top coat. It still needs one more coat, but I believe that can wait until the seat boxes are done.

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

I think your paint job looks a whole bunch better, great move:D

GA_Boater

The paint is looking good, cj. I like OJT for your son. Next I see you sittin' under tree and just giving directions. :p

barato2

Commander

hay CJ--

how'd you paint around where the bunks/rollers were against the hull? did you tip it and if so, how? i gotta do mine solo so not flipping it will greatly simplify things.

cj8mule

My oldest son and I pulled it off the trailer and flipped it in the grass. I'm pretty sure I could have done it solo, but it was nice having him there to pull the trailer out from under it while I held the bow up. Once on the grass, I'm sure you could turtle it by yourself.

I painted an old glass lonestar on the trailer quite a few years ago. I painted what I could and then moved the boat back some and finished painting where the rollers sat. I remember hurting for a few weeks afterwards from painting upside down!

cj8mule

Put another coat on the floor and we're just going to call it good. I think that 2 more coats would just about do it....

Built a couple of storage benches for the seats

I think they'll be fine after a little bit of fish slime

We're just about ready for the motor install and wiring, but before that I need to fix a leaking tilt / trim unit.

cj8mule

Work got in the way this week for much progress on the old girl. I finally got the garage and driveway cleaned out tonight and can get back to her.

I've been putting off fixing the TT on the motor. It worked ok but leaked fluid. Turns out it was just an o ring and had it all back together in just an hour. Tomorrow I should be able to pull the boat back into the driveway and get the motor back on. Good thing because the neighbors are getting tired of hearing me make all those vroom vroom sounds

cj8mule

The motor got hung yesterday. I unhooked the boat from the heep and have negative tongue weight. Thank God I left it hooked up while hanging the motor... that could've gotten interesting.

I need some of the great expert advise that so many of you guys are willing to give. Here's a picture of the tongue showing the winch and bow rest. I'm pretty sure the winch is supposed to go on top of the bow rest. This is the way I got the trailer and am not sure why the PO did this. Is that correct?

How much tongue weight should I be shooting for? I don't want to think about moving the axle yet until I get the winch mess fixed up because I'm pretty sure that's going to pull the boat forward some on the trailer.

I also need some advise on the bunk length. I'm thinking that more length would be better. Is that going to necessitate me getting another bunk bracket or will 2 do it?

Thanks for the help guys!

cj8mule

I could've gotten in some serious trouble with the wife if the poor puppy got hurt. Sometimes a fellow just gets lucky. I sure didn't think about securing the front or rear of the trailer before installing the motor.

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

For your winch post, I don't think I see any problems there. The goal is to have the winch strap and bow eye below the bow stop and you have that. I don't believe I see a safety chain there so you'll definitely want to add that.

For tongue weight you want to be in the 15% range give or take a little.

At the back side of the trailer...

I always attempt to get the transom right over top of the rear most cross member (or as close as possible). That way the weight of the transom/engine is transferred right to that beefy cross member rather than leveraged on a wood 2 x 4.

So, what I would do, is move the winch post forward in turn shifting the whole boat forward, getting more weight on the tongue and getting the transom/engine weight over the rear cross member. 2 fer 1;)

GA_Boater

CJ - I would move the bow stop and winch higher on the post. The winch is too low now and raising it will make a straighter, easier pull. Keep the stop over the winch for safety. If you do the move tongue weight will increase too. You want about 10% on the ball. Also the bunks will be sitting about even with the transom for better weight distribution.

Don't hurt the puppy.

cj8mule

I've been patiently waiting for the state of Colorado to issue me some numbers for this tin can. I filled out the paper work the best I could and got sent back a letter saying that they want a HIN. I've been over every square inch of this hull and there is no HIN. The only thing close was a small piece of metal screwed on next to where the controls would go.

If you look close there is only 1 number legible and that is a 6 digit serial number. I'm pretty sure I've read somewhere that HIN's didn't start until 1972. I'm not positive but perhaps boats are like cars in that this might actually be a 1971 titled in 1972. I've got a little more research to do before making the call to Colorado Fish and Game. Hopefully, I can find a website or something in print that states when the HIN's started.