1972 15' Nova rebuild

Status
Not open for further replies.

MNhunter1

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Life has been greatly delaying my progress lately, but I'm determined to get some paint on this hull and start the rebuild process. Hit the entire hull, as well as the bow cap, gunnels, and splashwell, with the orbital sander and some 220 grit. Washed her down with the pressure washer. Sprayed her with a 50/50 water/cleaning vinegar. Let her soak for about 45, and rinsed her down with the pressure washer again. Once she's good and dry, she'll get a good gloved wipe down with some acetone rags...and I'll do my best to keep my greasy hands away until the paint is down.

I have been going back and forth in the spray vs roll debate and have ultimately decided to just stick with what I know and tackle the job with a brush and some foam rollers. Some untimely tragic events, as well as some positive ones, helped sway the decision for me...but that's a whole 'nother topic for a whole 'nother day.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Man she sure looks ready and willing the way she's laying there. :heh:

classiccat

"Captain" + Starmada Splash Of The Year 2020
Sounds like a plan there MN :thumb:

Are you sticking with one of the traditional nova color schemes?

Golfer50

Seaman Apprentice
I look forward to seeing it. I'm going to paint my 73 Nova in the Fall or next spring using the same method. I am not going to strip it down though. Good luck.

classiccat

Still something along these lines then? She'll be sharp! :thumb:

NicePaint_zps62950e34.jpg

Golfer50

Seaman Apprentice
That is beautiful! I'm very envious of all the talented people on this site.

classiccat

Yeah Baby! That's nice! You have the recess there begging to be painted black :cool:

However my gut tells me that keeping the various trim black would be a major pain...especially those rub rails; they take alot of abuse.

BWR1953

Admiral
Can't go wrong with OD green and black!

Just do a Google search of OD green and black and check out the pix of all the way cool stuff in that color combo. :D

MNhunter1

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Yeah, the wear and tear is my biggest concern with the black, not to mention the extra effort of painting it all. With the grey interior, I think the bare aluminum trim might give it a little contrast. 2nd coat will be going on after the kids are asleep.

MNhunter1

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Yeah Baby! That's nice! You have the recess there begging to be painted black :cool:

However my gut tells me that keeping the various trim black would be a major pain...especially those rub rails; they take alot of abuse.

About that recess...yes, it begs for something. I'm going to wait until she's close to complete with decals and all before I make the call.

MNhunter1

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Finally, the hull is painted and tucked away to cure. The family and I are now in WI at Jellystone for a little R&R for the next few day.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Thats the mean green machine right there! Looking forward to seeing the finished paint job. :encouragement:

Say hi to Yogi and BooBoo for me. :D

jbcurt00

Staff member
Enjoy the R and R.

Great work knocking the paint off the list

g0nef1sshn

Lieutenant
Nice! I was waiting for the full body shot! Is it staying solid or getting more?

classiccat

Huge milestone MN! Looks really good! You used the old tip-n-roll correct?

Enjoy that time off!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.