1970 Jupiter V 16' Restoration

Andy in NY

Commander
Re: Starcraft club can I join ?

Rick, I can't wait to see the stripes. I think you are inspiring me. I am already going to do the color on the top and white on the bottom. I was thinking about a grey stripe. The floor and possibly accent seat colors are going to be grey on mine so I thought it would look good. Your boat is going to look great.

Keith

Im going grey interior as well...

Rickairmedic

Commander

Ok guys here we go fresh pics for Kev so he isnt sitting in his Hotel room bored ( although with all the new SS's today he may be down in the bar already :D:D) .

I managed to get one side of the bottom of the hull sanded tonight 4+ hours :eek: with 60 grit paper .

http://www.flickr.com/photos/34681559@N05/3741259116/in/set-72157619620799615/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/34681559@N05/3740466871/in/set-72157619620799615/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/34681559@N05/3741259208/in/set-72157619620799615/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/34681559@N05/3740466933/in/set-72157619620799615/

With any luck I will have the other side sanded tomorrow and start slappin some paint on her .

Rick

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

Really nice Rick..Ya, you saved me from sitting down in the bar crying over SS's..Man it's been RAINING Ss's lately!

How did you get that abalone inlay on your hull..That looks GREAT!!! Very Tahatian!!

And very slick product placement with your work van and phone #'s...lol

Man..you coulda just drove down from Tampa and finished mine up while I am gone but nooooooooooo...LOL

Rickairmedic

Commander

LOL Kev the sad part is that finish is what I was left with after removing the non factory peeling paint . I decided to tryyyyy to keep as much of the original paint on the bottom as I could although after 4+ hours and I dont know how many sanding disks theres not alot left . My Motherinlaw said I shoulda taken it somewhere to have it sanded . I asked her what fun that would be plus I wouldnt be ble to say I did it when it was done :D:D. I figure one more goooooooooood day of sanding and I will be painting the bottom . Then I will let it set up for a few days and play with the trailer ( new bunk carpet and rollers maybe some paint ) and then back on the trailer she goes :D. I agree the SS's are comming out of the woodwork all of a sudden :D.

Rick

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

LOL Kev the sad part is that finish is what I was left with after removing the non factory peeling paint . I decided to tryyyyy to keep as much of the original paint on the bottom as I could although after 4+ hours and I dont know how many sanding disks theres not alot left . My Motherinlaw said I shoulda taken it somewhere to have it sanded . I asked her what fun that would be plus I wouldnt be ble to say I did it when it was done :D:D. I figure one more goooooooooood day of sanding and I will be painting the bottom . Then I will let it set up for a few days and play with the trailer ( new bunk carpet and rollers maybe some paint ) and then back on the trailer she goes :D. I agree the SS's are comming out of the woodwork all of a sudden :D.

Rick

like tampa? ROFLMAO!

Rickairmedic

Commander

LOL Kev I am in noooooooooo rush to go back to Tampa been there twice this summer and between both times I probably dont have 48Hours in town LOL. I already told her next time she decides to move more than 5 miles away she needs to call 2 guys and a truck moving cause I aint doin it :D.

Rick

Floyd M

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Rick

OK, OK. So you guys have something against all of the SS's.:D JK. Since you all seem to be dreaming about what you would do with one and I have one that is now just a hull and have only thought about it for a week or so (every minute of each day for a week or so)......Give me your best ideas. I have no idea what I might do but it might be interesting to hear the different things everyone has thought of. This could be fun!

Keith

Rickairmedic

Commander

Keith with your SS I would go back pretty much factory maybe change up the seating in the rear a little and definately wouldnt put carpet back in her . Kev and I are both on the hunt for SS's . I am looking for a 21-22' version to go with my 16' Jupiter . I like my Jupiter dont get me wrong and I plan to keep it till I cant run it anymore but a nice BIG SS would be kewl backup for taking out more than 4 peaple at a time . Mine is rted for up to 7 peaple I would love to know where I am supposed to stuff all of them though :D.

Rick

Floyd M

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hey Rick, tell me what you think about this. I am thinking about putting captain's chairs on adjustable pedestals at each console and then lounge seats behind those. When the loungers are laid out they will just touch the transom doors but when they are sitting up there is plenty of room for using the rear of the boat for tubes, skis, and especially pulling in fish. Any thoughts? I am also thinking of putting the front back as original and making a portable/removable piece that will cover between the front bow seats to make a platform for fishing. If you remove the front cushions it will look like one large platform for casting. All of this and the floor will be coated with durabak.

Keith

Rickairmedic

Commander

Keith sounds like a great plan to me a multi purpose boat one you can fish out of and with a few quick changes be able to take the whole crew out for some water sports :D.

Rick

sprintst

Commander

Perhaps we should have a beer at a Hooters or something in the Tampa area and discuss the seating arrangements...

I'll be back in that area starting later tomorrow for the next week or so.

Rickairmedic

Commander

LOL Sprinst I am not going back to Tampa for a long while if I can help it and you dont wanna have a beer at Hooters they keep everything under cover . Just ask your Cabbie to take you to the Mons cause you want to meet Joe Redner :D. Theres nothing covered up at the Mons ;) :D.

Rick

sprintst

Commander

Anything worse doing is worth doing well.... If I hit that joint I'll know Joe as well as everyone there by the end.

I probably wouldn't make it out of Florida by Aug :)

If you get in your car now know one will know you're missing for 8 hours :) We can both go say Hi to Joe. Maybe he's got ideas about boats. Chicks like boats as far as I can tell as well :)

We can talk the crazy talk about boat colors as well. "What color lipstick is that? I'm painting my yacht and ..."

Rickairmedic

Commander

ROFLMAO nope not gonna do it you could always schedule a layover here in Louisville on your way back theres a few decent CLUBS here nothing like ( The Mons ) but not bad :D. Talk to Kev about layovers his travel agent is a master at setting up LOOOOOOOOOONG layovers ;).

Rick

sprintst

Commander

Probably not a good idea but an idea none the less.

I did read that extended vacations are a new trend :)

I can see if I can get banned from multiple states like Homer Simpson... He;s only welcome back in like 5 states...

Andy in NY

Commander

Keith with your SS I would go back pretty much factory maybe change up the seating in the rear a little and definately wouldnt put carpet back in her . Kev and I are both on the hunt for SS's . I am looking for a 21-22' version to go with my 16' Jupiter . I like my Jupiter dont get me wrong and I plan to keep it till I cant run it anymore but a nice BIG SS would be kewl backup for taking out more than 4 peaple at a time . Mine is rted for up to 7 peaple I would love to know where I am supposed to stuff all of them though :D.

Rick

its funny you mention 7 being the capacity... i said that to my wife and she says "what, do they all have to stand up?!?"

we go to a sandbar on our local lake, its about a 15 min ride from the launch... and I figure we can get one of those folding chairs, but the double version (2 attached to each other) and put it in the back, then fold out the lounge seats and be able to transport 4 adulds 4 kids to the sand bar...

Hey Rick, tell me what you think about this. I am thinking about putting captain's chairs on adjustable pedestals at each console and then lounge seats behind those. When the loungers are laid out they will just touch the transom doors but when they are sitting up there is plenty of room for using the rear of the boat for tubes, skis, and especially pulling in fish. Any thoughts? I am also thinking of putting the front back as original and making a portable/removable piece that will cover between the front bow seats to make a platform for fishing. If you remove the front cushions it will look like one large platform for casting. All of this and the floor will be coated with durabak.

Keith

I like that idea of the captains chairs with the lounge seats behind it...

and you can never go wrong with removable casting decks.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

I think this stern layout would be awesome for a number of our boats (courtesy of our own Starcraft)
Superfish170_SternSeatUp.jpg

Huron Angler

Admiral

I'm waiting for someone in the starcraft club to build a customized extended transom out of diamond plate like this one. Pretty ambitious project but it would look sweet on a 21' and add some room in the stern for fishing/seating. Who's up for it?

Attachments

• 2007_islander_221_brkt.jpg
    2007_islander_221_brkt.jpg
    17.2 KB · Views: 0

Rickairmedic

Commander

Ok thats it I am toast for tonight . I have been sanding and sandblasting over half the day and I have had enough for today :D.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/34681559@N05/3743891893/in/set-72157619620799615/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/34681559@N05/3743891971/in/set-72157619620799615/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/34681559@N05/3744687360/in/set-72157619620799615/

Kev I may not be in Tampa but I sure feel like I have been in Clearwater beach all day . I have sand in places it should never be :D.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/34681559@N05/3744688136/in/set-72157619620799615/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/34681559@N05/3743894389/in/set-72157619620799615/

I blew through 100 pounds of Kiddie sand today and that was the aftermath :D:D.

Rick

Rickairmedic

Commander

Tomorrow with any luck I will finish the sanding and start the painting . I would like to have her back on the trailer this weekend to start the Gluvit challenge :D.

Rick