Poor Man's Skiboat...Restore?

system-f

Senior Chief Petty Officer
The Poor Man?s Ski Boat Project

I have decided to document and share with you all the mechanical and functional restoration of my 1971 Glastron V174 into a Ski/Pleasure boat. I?m not sure if this is the right forum to post this, but it is a restoration of sorts. So far from the testing I have done the stringers, transom and deck on this boat are rock solid so I will not be doing any structural work (I HOPE!).

Background:

I was looking for a lake ready or nearly lake ready vessel for little cash. Every morning, afternoon and evening I would check Craig?s List for the local boat deals and was hoping to get something for around $2000. About 1 month ago on a Sunday I saw a 1971 Glastron V174 pop up and called the guy. 30 minutes later I had the cash in hand and was on my way to go look at this boat. The V174 started right up and appeared to run pretty good. The hull was clean, deck super solid, transom didn?t have any soft spots, and stringers were firm. I offered $1400 and he accepted.

Since I purchased the boat on a Sunday the plan was to take it out for its test run next Friday. Monday after coming home from work I remember the previous owner telling me he though the boat needed an engine/outdrive oil change and then it hit me?I forgot to check the oil before I bought the boat. I pulled the dipstick and was greeted with milky white goodness. Immediately I got out the compression tester and began to check the engine. 1-120, 2-130, 3-90, 4-0, 5-0, 6-30?OH CRAP. 4 and 5 had a blown head gasket between them and 5/6 was close to blown. I began pulling the head having my worst fears confirmed and found a very warped head and VERY blown head gasket.

IMG00249.jpg

I replaced the head gasket and had the head surfaced which took .025? off in order to get it flat. When I had everything off for the head gasket I found some cracks in the side of the block. This really concerned me, but I prepared for the worst and JB welded the cracks. The idea is to source an engine in the winter to replace this one. (That was the idea but this engine runs too good and the crack almost seems like a non issue now)

100_0732_small.jpg

100_0738_small.jpg

I had the engine back together and compression numbers are now 1-130, 2-135, 3-130, 4-130, 5-90, and 6-110. I think 5 and 6 are so low due to stuck rings. This engine only has 287 hours on it and some of those hours were spent with little to no compression and lots of carbon build up. I am going to put a couple of real hours of use on her and recheck the compression.
So I had a smoother running engine (still needs a carb kit) and so far the outdrive had checked out ok. Two weekends after I bought the boat it finally made its way to the lake and performed nearly flawlessly. I really liked the torque this straight 6 had and the hull was able to plane at a very slow speed of 16-17mph with a 350lb guy, 220lb guy and 175lb guy. A couple of problems were found, though, one of them being a gas tank that leaks when full (vent was clogged, unclogged and I think the sending unit gasket is leaking). I have a blower that works very well, a VERY open engine compartment, marine electronics, and the gas tank is in the front of the boat so I wasn?t THAT worried about the risk of explosion but the gas tank problem does need to be addressed.

100_0743-small.jpg

After about 1 hour of lake time on the engine I found that it was running a little warmer than I liked so I figured it was time for an impeller and thermostat. This is what I found:

100_0753-small.jpg

Needless to say the thermostat was probably causing my problems and after replacing it and the impeller the engine runs at a nice regulated temperature. To verify this I installed a second mechanical water temp. gauge which is only visible from the engine compartment.

When reinstalling the lower leg I ran into a problem with shifting into reverse. I ended up having to pull the drive twice before narrowing the problem down to a bent shift coupler. This did give me a chance to inspect the shift/driveshaft bellows and the gimbal bearing. I was very impressed with what I found. Last weekend I had the boat out all day on Saturday without any issues.

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=334271

Now I that I can trust this boat mechanically it is time to start with the interior and creature comforts. My plans are redo trailer bunks, strip carpet and paint the floor, new seats, stereo, Bimini top, wakeboard tower (maybe DIY, have to see if I want to mess with welding stainless), swim platform, and a tower stereo system based on live stage speakers (to be used respectfully around others). I probably won?t be able to afford the tower or tower speaker system until next season. I also plan on doing some MAJOR changes to the trailer: painting, shortening wheelbase down to 7' 4" from 8' and adding some front bunks.
This is where I sit with money.

Boat $1400
Tax, title, registration $116
Head mill-work $94
Gasket Set $55
Water pump kit $48
Trim/Tilt Hose $46
Thermostat $17
Head bolts $56
Engine Oil $30
Outdrive Oil $20
Outdrive pump $13
Brass Shift Shoe $48
Shift Shoe bushing $25
Electrical Switches $10
Outdrive Gasket Set $11
Gas tank sending unit gasket $5
Total $1994

Proposed Upgrades
Stereo $80
500 Watt amp $80
Speakers (in boat) $100
Bimini To $300
Tower $500
Tower Speakers $200
Tower speaker's amp $200
Swim Platform $100
Swim Platform hardware $200

Last edited:

system-f

Re: Poor Man's Skiboat...Restore?

Today I inspected the fuel tank which is located in the bow. I was concerned that the fuel tank had a crack or hole of some sort, but it turned out the sending unit gasket was just worn out. I replaced the sending unit gasket and inspected the tank. Except for some peeling paint the tank looks to be in good shape. I am concerned that the fuel tank is too small as I would like at least 30 gallons of capacity. It seems as though the tank was installed in the bow before the cap and it might take some creative work to get the stock tank out. I also might have to settle for two 15 gallon tanks since one 30 gallon tank might not fit without major fiberglass work or removing the entire cap.

Huron Angler

Admiral

Nice rig, sorry to hear that you may have had more work than you originally thought, but you seem to be up for the job regardless, good attitude:D

First off how do you know so much about fixing engines? I'm impressed(I don't know ^&%$ about I/O's).

Are you just going to cut out that old 30 gal tank with a sawzall and drop the dual fifteens in?

What is your top speed/RPM so far and how is she planing out?

She looks like she likes to go fast and this IS the proper location for your ski boat restoration, people here will be glad to see her in top form(better than new I bet).

Just make sure to keep posting pics.

Also do you have plans for the inside- dash, seats, electronics, flooring, or is everything in good shape?

BTW my $.02= lift/cut out and reglass that bow to allow additional seating and better storage. If you would still have room for the gas tanks somehow.

system-f

First off how do you know so much about fixing engines?

My other hobby is going overland with my SUV and when you buy an SUV they don't make any parts for you learn how to weld and fabricate pretty quick. The boat is the first non-electronic engine I have ever owned in a vehicle. I actually had to ask the engineers at work who are old car guys about points and non aluminum head engines. Otherwise, it?s a car engine....just add marine behind the name to up the price of parts.

This was a massive hill as you can tell by the unloaded front suspension.

az9_r50_3.jpg

Are you just going to cut out that old 30 gal tank with a sawzall and drop the dual fifteens in?

I think the stock tank is only 15 gallons, maybe smaller otherwise I wouldn't touch it as I have repaired the seeping issue with a new cork gasket on the sending unit. I want at least 30 gallons as skiing burns gas and some of the places we go where the water is calm are remote.

What is your top speed/RPM so far and how is she planing out?

HAHA, the tach is the last thing I have to fix so I haven't really opened it up as the prop is an unknown and 4300rpm is max for this straight 6. BUT....it planes around 15mph (GPS CONFIRMED) and cruises nice at 23-24mph. We have seen 40 on the GPS with more throttle to go. Acceleration noted by passengers has been "nice". I am really impressed with this engine. It just needs to have the carb rebuilt.

Also do you have plans for the inside- dash, seats, electronics, flooring, or is everything in good shape?

I would like to make her look nicer on the inside but function first. I need a bimini top, swim platform, stereo of SOME SORT, tower, tower stereo, need to redo the trailer and reweld in bunk platforms and add two bunks for the bow...paint etc etc etc.

The other day I found out that the drive is seeping water. I re-drilled the transom and it is dry except at the bottom where it is wet, but not rotted YET! This winter the drive will get a transom re-seal and I will probably have to replace the transom as I don't trust drying it. Right now there is no loss of structural integrity and I feel safe with the boat, but the wood will start rotting in the transom before long. The only reason I don't think the transom is rotted already is the boat hasn't been used years which is why the transom seal is rotted (dry Texas summer).

system-f

We had a great weekend on the boat. She is still taking in water, but not much. When I loaded her up Sunday it started a massive downpour just as I got her on the trailer. I actually had a chance to kneeboard behind my own boat this weekend and it was glorious. I could tell from the smell of the exhaust fumes that it is running a bit rich and probably beyond past due on the carb kit even though the carb responds better every hour I run her.

The gas tank leak is 100% fixed and it turned out to be a rotting sending unit seal. I feel MUCH safer now.

Please excuse the dirty gunwale, I still need to clean the boat. I have spent engery ONLY making sure she will function properly in order to determine if she is worth keeping.

My dog's (closer to the camera) favorite time out is now on the boat and it turns out my friend's dog loves the boat too.

Jerrylee_Bear.JPG

tlovelandka

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Nicely done Sir... I've got a feeling you'll have this one sorted out before too long. Good Luck to you!

tlovelandka

Petty Officer 3rd Class

BTW, whereabouts in TX are you? I'm out in beautiful Lubbock :cool:

You can add your location to your profile so it'll show in your posts... Just a thought

-TLove

system-f

I updated my location, thought I had done that.

Pulled the seats and cleaned the interior. Now I have to buy a bunch of new fasteners.

100_0790-small.jpg

100_0791-small.jpg

100_0792-small.jpg

100_0793-small.jpg

skargo

Banned

Good deal, nice to see it doesn't have to cost a ton to have fun, I subscribe to that as well.

BTW, put wanted ad on craigslist for a bimini, I had 3 offers within an hour, and ended up with a good condition one for $75. $44 for two rear support legs to replace the rear straps, and a few bucks for new front straps, it was MUCH cheaper than buying new. Correct color too! :cool:

5165_226151435651_554955651_7413998_7860850_n.jpg

4runneradam

Petty Officer 1st Class

Cool boat! Hope everything comes together for you! I spent LOTS of hours on my bayliner, and just recently got to take it out, and it was all worth it!

I'm a wheeler too. 88 4Runner with a V8

bscap41.jpg

skargo

Banned

hehe, I have an LT1 powered FJ40.

Sorry for the thread hijack.

system-f

Haha, no problem with the thread jack. My rig (truck) is built up quite a bit lighter, but with an the onboard welder and york I usually end up fixing everyone else on the trail. Most of our adventures last for weeks and are at least 800 miles away so it still has to drive on the road. Pretty soon I am going to start pulling the boat with her as some of the ramps around here are pretty messy. My other tow rig is a 4x4 too, but not locked. (isn't it sad when you feel you need to have 4x4 and be fully locked on a ramp!)

Tomorrow I hope to be picking up a swim platform off of a bayliner (new). I was wanting to build something that went across the entire transom, but I need something now as it is impossible for women to use the stock Glastron ladder to get in the boat. Eventually I am going to want a 22ft inboard ski boat, but at the same time I am falling in love with this "clunker".

chrishayes

Right ON, glad to see other wheelers here. I have a 94 YJ with a stroked 4.0L full cage dana 44's front and rear with detroits, spring over suspension on 35" MTR's. I too have a york compressor and it runs through a 10lb oxygen tank and My homemade rear bumper for air storage! This used to be my life!I lived in Colo Springs Colorado and spent all my time wrenching on my Jeep or wheeling IN it! I have been all over the west wheeling but by far MOAB is the place to be! I love the scenic beauty of the high alpine trails such as BIg bear pass but for down and dirty wheeling you cant beat Utah. THen I had a moment of extreme stupidity that landed me in...uh... scenic Delaware Ohio:confused: Doooooh. No wheeling here except mud...and with all that I have invested in my Jeep not to mention the 4 to 1 transfer case, mud just aint my thing. Oh well, I will get back out to the west soon enough I hope!

THats a nice boat you have there. I really like its lines and the fact that it has a straight six! Wouldnt run any other motor for wheeling! Bet it is nice in a boat. Keep up the good work and do some wheelin for me!

skargo

Banned

Here's my cruiser, I am thinking of selling it, it's BUILT and a hell of a rock crawler.

P7080219.JPG

Full hydro, 3 link, LT1, etc, etc, etc

chrishayes

Here's my cruiser, I am thinking of selling it, it's BUILT and a hell of a rock crawler.

P7080219.JPG

Full hydro, 3 link, LT1, etc, etc, etc

Nice rig! Love those Fj's wheeled with many of them! Good luck selling. Im sure you know what a undertaking that is! Probably could sell an unrestored fiberglass jon boat without a motor for 5000$ before selling the FJ for anything that came close to what you have in it. Look at book value for your vehicle stock, then add or subtract 1000$ depending on the market you are in. It sad! No matter how stout, people will always think that it is just an overly abused unusable vehicle and im talking about other hardcore wheelers. DOnt even think about the general public! Good luck.

system-f

My rear bumper is an air tank too, good use of space.

Today I put the interior back together in the boat with new hardware on the side panels. I also picked up a Bayliner plastic swim platform and install it. One side of the swim platform is straight into the transom about 2" thick, the other side I had to add some wood backing, but when I pull the transom will extend it out so the entire swim platform will be in the transom. At first I didn't like the look of the swim platform, but after it was installed with only one stainless steel hand rail I think it looks pretty good.

Tonight I am going to pickup a cheap CD player and some decent speakers and install them.

PICs later, too tired now.

system-f

I installed a stereo today and had a chance to test it and the swim platform. The stereo is a Clarion mp3/wma cd unit with an aux in. It has the 4v outputs left/right front/rear for several amps as I build the stereo up. The swim platform performed very well and the dog can almost get up by himself if he would just settle down and take his time.

robbankston

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Nice job on the boat. Good attitude about what could have been a bad situation. Keep at it!

chrishayes

I am a shepherd man too! Have always had them, from the same bloodline my whole life. My girl now(belgium shepherd) is crazy too. She loves to swim and boat but she cant get up the ladder either. She tries but once she gets her front feet up she freaks cause she starts to sink. If she would just do it in one motion she would get right up it...dummy. Lets see some pics of the swim ladder! Oh, heres a fun pic of my pup!

Took this pic while she walked by and caught her right as she ran head first into the wall! she was so embarrassed she just stood there with her cone against the wall:D "why you guys gotta shave my butt, put a cone on my head then laugh at me?":(

boatstuff015.jpg

system-f

Great weekend on the boat. We were able to do quite a bit of kneeboarding and not having the carpet in the rear of the boat made for a much more enjoyable time moving about. I can't wait to coat the floor this winter. The stereo also worked pretty well. I should have just bought an amp instead of the head unit and plugged my Ipod directly into the amp, but hindsight... On the bad side the engine is running too rich and carb problems are causing a rough idle as well as acceleration stalls or slow response. I need to go ahead and rebuild the carb, but might put it off until the winter as I see no safety issues with its current condition (not that rich).

I guess I haven't really talked much about the trailer, but it is getting a full restore. The trailer's condition sucks and it needs bunks pretty badly. I also need to narrow the trailer's wheelbase by 12"s. This trailer has some kind of jerry-rigged adjustable bunk height system which is absolutely stupid. I plan on lifting the boat above the trailer bunks with a jack and some wooden supports and then welding on non-adjustable bunk rests as well as adding two front bunks as I really don't want the keel being supported by the rollers. Then I want to add a front V that will catch the bow when loading. Once the supports and new front catch have been welded and the bunks added I will put the boat in a lift towards the end of season so the trailer axle and spring supports can be taken in 12"s. THEN...I can sand the trailer down, primer, paint and re-wire/light/add brakes. I find it amusing that I am more jealous of my friends' properly fitted shiny trailers than their shiny boats.

I love my Shepherd. He is crazy and going through the teen years (2 years old). Saturday he worked himself too hard at the lake and I had to leave him at home on Sunday. He is absolutely crazy at the lake and goes nuts for people to splash water at him. I cannot keep him in the boat unless we are underway. I really need to see if he will use a floaty of some sort and just 'hang out' with the crowd in the water, but I highly doubt it. To think, I want another! What amazes me the most about my dog is how much he likes my cats.