1968 Starcraft Jupiter - Rebuild

Status
Not open for further replies.

InMotion

Commander
Re: 1968 Starcraft Jupiter - Rebuild

I looked up Lake Rosseau to try to get some geographical info on it, especially wondered about its size. After not finding anything on that, I looked at a Google satellite photo and see why that info might be a little obscure! http://www.geodata.us/canada_names_maps/maps.php?featureid=FCMHC&f=226

It's a hard lake to miss ---- it's pretty central to cottage country. Lake Muskoka and Lake Joseph are also good for boating. The Trent waterway system that runs from Georgian Bay to Lake Ontario is phenominal!

This is where we go when we don't catch any fish --- http://www.henrysfishrestaurant.com/ ---- great food and on an island in Georgian Bay. Check out some of the photo's....

Jim

lakelover

Rear Admiral

It's really pretty country in that area, we went to a family reunion on Georgian Bay a number of years ago.

Gibbles

Lieutenant Commander

A very cool looking lake

I had to jump the map around to my area to get an idea of the size, pretty large!

rheagler

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Wow Jim. The boat looks great in the water. Happy to hear how well it performs. You did a first class job. Congrats!

InMotion

Commander

A very cool looking lake

I had to jump the map around to my area to get an idea of the size, pretty large!

Ya... it's a good size --- big enough to go for a nice day of boating. They all interconnect --- so you can tour two of the 3 lakes in a day. Little trivia note: Kurt Russel and Goldie Hawn have a rather large place on the top right side of Lake Rosseau... some really, really nice places on all three lakes. Think starting prices in the 7 digits and you can get into the area. Crazy stuff! Really nice place to visit though.

FYI: Uhhh we cottage outside of that region! :)

J.

jbcurt00

Staff member

Tell Kurt & Goldie we said hello next time you pop over for drinks & horse du-vers:D I like mine w/ catsup:facepalm:

I've fished north of White River near Long Lac (Lak? Lake?) at Lake Chapman, Fernow, and 4 or 5 others. All amazing, all crystal clear and limited out every day. Didn't fish for them, I guess their finicky & skitterish, but others caught some splake trout (?sp?) a hybrid of speckled & lake trout if I remember correctly. It was near 4th of July, and the locals were all packing up to head further north. The humidity was getting to them.....

Again nice job on the Jupiter!

Rainbow hunter

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Boat looks fantastic on the water. Man I love that woodwork. You've inspired me to do some of my own on the two I've got in progress. I figure nice wood consoles/dash will add a lot more beam strength too.

barato2

Commander

good plan on the power pack. you obviously know what chronic failure items those are on OMCs. i once lost one when i was 2 miles offshore, with essentially zero warning. i replaced it with a Sierra unit and have had no problems since. just be sure to tighten the mounting screw really thoroughly and maybe even some loctite once you get the flywheel air gap set.

dozerII

Admiral

Hey Jim, the Jup looks awsome on the water. Playing catchup here after our last round of severe weather , tornados, 100+ k winds ten days ago my computer was one of the casualties. Looks like you had a great time on the water, Sorry to hear about your Aunt.
Glen

CraigBarnard

Petty Officer 1st Class

Boat looks fantastic!
Great to see it out on the water.
Lake Rosseau is a beautiful lake. I lived on the lake for 4 years while I attended school up there.
Congratulations.

InMotion

Commander

Hey Jim, the Jup looks awsome on the water. Playing catchup here after our last round of severe weather , tornados, 100+ k winds ten days ago my computer was one of the casualties. Looks like you had a great time on the water, Sorry to hear about your Aunt.
Glen

Hey Glen,

Thanks man! Sorry to read about the tornado's etc... hopefully they were not too close to you guys!

Jim

InMotion

Commander

Boat looks fantastic!
Great to see it out on the water.
Lake Rosseau is a beautiful lake. I lived on the lake for 4 years while I attended school up there.
Congratulations.

Thanks Craig... ya great lake for boating on... kids love getting ice cream in Port Carling or Port Sandfield!! And the manually operated locks at Port Carling are a highlight as well!

InMotion

Commander

Alrighty guys... some more pics and 2 vids!!!

The Diva:
045.jpg

The Commander:
052.jpg

A great shot of how little water a Starcraft actually uses... the boat never touched bottom:
065.jpg

First time coming into port:
IMG_0572.jpg

IMG_0579.jpg

Excited? Nah!
IMG_0581.jpg

More in next thread...

InMotion

Commander

One of my favorite shots --- just taking off with a terrific view of how the hull disipates the water!

IMG_0586.jpg

Accelerating...
IMG_0587.jpg

Enjoy fellas... this is what it's all about!!!

J.

Really going for it...
IMG_0588.jpg

Ok... first attempt at a video posting... if it is too big lemme know. I don't have compression software on this laptop... so it is a rather huge file!

Next vid tomorrow... too tired to wait 115 more minutes for it to upload!

dozerII

Admiral

WOW Jim, I don't think the back side of a 2X4 could wipe the smile of your face. The boat looks real good on the water, and by the looks of the smiles on the Kiddos faces they approve as well. Have you got the bugs worked out on the 90, how fast does she go wot?

InMotion

Commander

Thanks Glen and LL!

The motor is better --- but not quite right. In speaking with an ex boat mechanic at the funeral, he felt that the lower two cylinders were flooding when not under load.... see the issue is (after more testing and thought) that the motor runs rough only when NOT under load after a while! It starts, idles, accelerates (as long as it is under load) fantastically. However, when cruising a long for a while, it will just start running rough. Give it a bit of gas or ease off and then give it gas it will start running fine again --- for a while. At full throttle, it runs well and then will run rough once there is little load on it... so the mechanic thinks it is either or all of the following:

- check valves in the fuel lines that are in the fuel lines connecting the upper and lower carbs together
- split or pin hole in the same fuel lines causing a air/fuel leak
- fuel pump diaphram issue allowing excess fuel in the lower carb

Some more stuff to play with in the next couple of weeks!

barato2

Commander

vacuum leak, from something that doesn't leak til it gets hot. i have a coffee mug like this....leaks with hot coffee, but room temp water, no leakee. and have seen similar situs with vehicles over the years.

speaking with an ex boat mechanic at the funeral
methinks we are all one obsessed bunch of sick puppies.....:redface: seems like i bore my poor wife nonstop with minute descriptions of what i'm doing to the boats. when someone asks the last good book i've read, answer is Calder's Boatowner's Mechanical and Electrical Manual....

if iboats ever has a cover page for this forum with user pics, yours should be the ones. i love the holeshot, and you son waving is also awesome. Starcraft should use that one in an ad.....

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Great splash pics/video, Jim. I looked and looked for a sad face and all I saw was :D:D:D:D. Everyone was having fun!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.