1968 Starcraft arrow 14 ft. Restoration

pckeen

Commander
Re: 1968 Starcraft arrow 14 ft. Restoration

Hi F. Nice looking boat.

A transom wont go from solid to completely rotten and weak in one go. By way of example, my transom in my 16' Naden is still a 'solid' piece if plywood, but it is black through - not yet mulch, but much of the strength in it is gone. Take some core samples (literally, drill into your transom with a 1/4 inch drill, in three or four spots near the bottom), and see what color the shavings come out as. If they are golden, you are good. If black, you have a bad transom.

Feendog

Cadet

PCKEEN,

I just took a mallet to the transom and it sounded really solid but I will do as you suggested and drill some holes at the bottom to see if it is black and has gone bad. That you for this good advice. I really do appreciate it.

Feendog

Feendog

Cadet

Ok, just took core samples with a 3/16 drill bit and the chips came out golden with no black content. I also did it in spots where I think would have been the most susceptible to water getting in. Here are some pics.

jbcurt00

Staff member

For future reference, the core sample holes were supposed to be drilled FROM THE INSIDE up under the splashwell :facepalm:

Where they wouldn't be noticeable...

And NOT all the way thru the hull, only @ 1.25"+/- deep. Using a tape depth gauge will prevent an accidental daylighting of the hull:
depth-gauge-11_zpsa5817f0f.jpg

But they can be fixed.

Last edited:

Feendog

Cadet

Jbcurt00,

I didn't drill through the whole thing. Just through the fiberglass and into a little of the wood just to see if it was rotten. I will apply resin to the holes and the bottom of the boat is going to be repainted so it will not be noticed.

Feendog

Cadet

Also if I had gone from the inside I wouldn't of been able to get to the very bottom like I did. Which I think would be the most prone to rot out. Thank you though for the advice and I do appreciate it.

jbcurt00

Staff member

I forgot you'd already replaced the deck, so you didn't have access to the bottom of the transom.

So, lets say my advice was for those that come after us & use your thread for reference..... :)