1965 Starcraft Holiday Restoration

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Re: {1965 Jupiter Restoration}

Uhhhhmmmm, You need to Seal both sides of the the deck, Bottom and Top. Sooooo if you already installed it how ya gunna do that?????

PINIT

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Uhhhhmmmm, You need to Seal both sides of the the deck, Bottom and Top. Sooooo if you already installed it how ya gunna do that?????

:facepalm: nuff said.

PINIT

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I riveted them in too. Rookie mistake.

MichaelP

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Oh man you didn't. At least the holes are already in place and you can get some sealer in them. If I had a nickle for every time I.....

PINIT

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Okay well after that little mishaps im ready to go again. the back parts of the floor are cut out and its all laying on my shop floor with the bottom side sealer drying. ill flip it when i get off work tonight and seal the top side. i would be posting pics but had to send my phone in for repair and they gave me a loaner that has no camera. Boooo

PINIT

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Back to work on the boat this weekend. i took off work last week as we had some great weather. just relaxed and went riding on my motorcycle. But the floor is back in and sealed up. transom is in also. splashwell is my next move.

PINIT

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Im still here! just been super crazy with work and training for my up coming motorcycle races, i got all the paint complete and im starting to put the interior trim pieces back on.

PINIT

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Transom cap is getting a few cracks welded up, should have it back today. motor goes back on and then starting the re-wire this week. Whoo, i dont care if its winter when i get this thing finished im splashing it this year!

PINIT

Petty Officer 3rd Class

The story of my boat, My girlfriend and I have been dating for four years now and iv'e got to know her family well. I noticed the boat sitting in her grandfaters barn all covered up with junk and full of car and boat parts when we first got together. beginning of last summer i ask him about it, well, we used up a whole day talking about boat storys and where he used to go in his old boat and he knew every fishing story. lol. he said he wishes someone would get it out and get it running, well how i could resist this old vintage thing. keep in mind i knew nothing about boats, i spent the entire summer just working on the motor trying to get it running right. reading on the forum and just re-searching a lot. he was 86 years old, after i got it running i took it out one time and it ran fairly well. He wanted to go really bad before he died, kinda harsh but thats all he talked about was going for one last ride. well i did take him on a boat ride at the end of the summer and crusied around the lake for about 45 min. he enjoyed a lot. it sat through the winter and i got it out and messed around with it this summer, took it out 3 or 4 times and had a blast, grandpa turned 87 and he had cancer throughout his entire body really bad and couldn't get around well anymore. He called me one day and said he wanted to talk to me. he gave me the boat, now they have a big family and it meant a lot to me that he gave it to me, he just said it sat there all that time and i did all the work and he thinks it should be mine, so thats when i started this thread on the restore. he just passed away 9/30 and it was a very sad day, it up set me really bad that i didn't have the boat completely finished but very close. and also i wanted to take him out in his newly painted nice looking boat. I showed him a few pics of the new paint and things but not too many cause i didn't want to spoil a great supprise. the last few things that go on the boat are all in memory of him now. Sorry guys i just had to vent about this.

Triton II

Commander

Pinit, what a cool story. Although it's always sad when loved ones die, 87 years of living is a pretty big life. Your Grandpa gave you the boat because he recognised you'd be the one in the family to enjoy it and look after it. Finish off that great job you're doing and dedicate the boat to him. Thanks for "venting".

TII

sprintst

Commander

Cool story man. He still lives on through the memories of the boat.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

You got it running, took him for a ride, and he knew it was going into good hands and being fixed up. No regrets Pinit.

lakelover

Rear Admiral

Great story, PINIT, sorry about your loss though. You'll think about him every time you think about the boat. My wife had a friend who had cancer, and one of the last things she did was give my son her car. He had just learned to drive and really needed a car, and we couldn't really afford anything for him. We were stunned and grateful for her generosity, and we think about her every time we look out in the driveway and see the car, or have to drive it somewhere.

EZ is right, I'm sure you made grandpa feel good with your interest in the boat, and believe me, taking him for that ride was about the best thing you ever could have done for him.

I don't know how I missed this thread, you've done a great job so far. Keep at it!

MichaelP

Lieutenant Junior Grade

You did the right thing not waiting to get him out. He knew it was in good hands.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Well Pinit, you MUST name her something that will be a tribute to him!!!! Think real hard and the name will come. What an awesome story! Thanks for sharing.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

PINIT - I don't consider your post a vent. It's a wonderful story about an old man, his memories and how a good guy helped revive those memories. It sounds like you were a great companion and it's great that he was able to make the final voyage before passing. RIP

PINIT

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks guys, I finished up with the motor and wiring today. hopefully start it tomorrow and start on the interior. although i just have to put everything back in it so it will be easy and maybe a half day job. Again, Thanks.

PINIT

Petty Officer 3rd Class

So close to starting today, wired up the lights and did a few small things. picking up battery boxes tonight and a few other things from Bass pro shops. talking to a guy about tinting my winshield also. So So close and im getting pumped. :D

PINIT

Petty Officer 3rd Class

:D All i have is smiles today, im also in tears every time i look back on this and see how it began and where its at now. The memorial service for my girlfriends grandfather is in two hours and i just fininshed the boat, im taking it and parking it right outside the doors. he would be very proud. more photos to come! stay tuned!! :D:D

Attachments

• 2011-10-06 13.19.44.jpg
    2011-10-06 13.19.44.jpg
    150.5 KB · Views: 0
  • 2011-10-06 13.20.55.jpg
    2011-10-06 13.20.55.jpg
    153.3 KB · Views: 1
  • 2011-10-06 13.21.23.jpg
    2011-10-06 13.21.23.jpg
    139.1 KB · Views: 1
  • 2011-10-06 13.22.03.jpg
    2011-10-06 13.22.03.jpg
    148.9 KB · Views: 1

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

That thing turned out sweet. Love the S-10 too.