1963 16 ft Starcraft Jupiter restoration

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1963 16 ft Starcraft Jupiter restoration

Just a suggestion from a former Jupiter owner......since you're under the bow deck workin' on things anyway....

I would recommend reinforcing those wood pieces some. Even just making T's out of them by adding a perpendicular 1x3 or something under each one. Cuz you WILL end up stepping on that bow deck from time to time and it isn't real strong the way it was originally designed. Mine never cracked but sure sounded like it would. I think just adding those pieces would really firm it up.

v8mgbal

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks guys, and good Idea EZ as I will want to get on there at some point and I did not think it was very strong. I think I understand how the boards get cracked. I am also thinking about a bow tank there to and will need to make a support for that unless I just put it on the deck like you did.

v8mgbal

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hello all, I don't have a lot picture wise but the trailer is almost finished and I think the paint is good and dry so I will be flipping the boat back over and starting on the interior and was wondering if anyone has taken their boat to the lake to see if it leaked anywhere before installing the deck.

djpeters

Lieutenant Commander

Hello all, I don't have a lot picture wise but the trailer is almost finished and I think the paint is good and dry so I will be flipping the boat back over and starting on the interior and was wondering if anyone has taken their boat to the lake to see if it leaked anywhere before installing the deck.

I am planning on putting mine in the water after I'm done fixing rivets and doing the gluvit. Should be in the next week or two.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

I darn sure should have with my Jupiter. OMG did that thing leak!!!!! I didn't do any of the waterproofing stuff that you've done to that one though (I hadn't found iboats then yet). My SS was dry to begin with so I figured the Gluvit would only improve the situation so I was confident it had no leaks.

v8mgbal

Petty Officer 1st Class

Well I finally got something to take pictures of as I got the boat flipped today. I have been working on the small stuff like brackets and fittings and all the bits and pieces of a boat so nothing picture worthy. I got the boat flipped over easier than I thought.
DSCF1931.JPG

v8mgbal

Petty Officer 1st Class

And down. so now I am ready to start on the inside:D well that's all for now and hope all had a great thanksgiving.
DSCF1934.JPG

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

V8, nice work! She looks good!:D

The way you flipped your rig there was kinda sorta how I envisioned the my Islander getting flipped (if I go that route). Not quite the same but same basic concept.

Cheers!

pmillar

Petty Officer 1st Class

Looks great! Can you work inside without having the boat rock back and forth or is more support in the works? Or, on second thought, is the stern bottom flat enough that it's not an issue? My Crestliner has a V hull which would require a cradle of sorts... but not all boats are like mine now are they?

v8mgbal

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks guys, yeah it only took me about 30 min. to flip it and I did not break anything:D. your right PM I have to shore it up some more I have some v's cut into the cart its on for the keel to sit in I just need to block it on each side to keep it steady and I can start working on it today.

fshngho

Lieutenant

Just gotta love inguenuity! V8, my only thought (and it may not be a concern) is that while you do the interior it will get a lot heavier. Do you think it should be put on the trailer first? Your set up might make that a non issue. Great work buddy.:D

v8mgbal

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hey FS no big deal as I am going to take it to the lake and leak check it before I put everything in permanently. I also got some of the decking cut out today and placed which was harder since my old decking was crap. anyway here are some pictures of the decking. here is the first piece:D
DSCF1935.JPG

v8mgbal

Petty Officer 1st Class

The hard part was getting the first curved piece cut. I still have to figure out how to cut out the scalloped sections to go down over the ribs without cutting out to much:confused:
DSCF1937.JPG

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

The hard part was getting the first curved piece cut. I still have to figure out how to cut out the scalloped sections to go down over the ribs without cutting out to much:confused:
DSCF1937.JPG

why not take a 6 inch wide (or so) strip from scrap, experiment with the scallop cut to find the exact cut...then replicate "X" scallop on your permanent wood. Each one is what, 8 to 12 inches apart?

v8mgbal

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks Cheap, I can do that. I could even use cardboard so I could cut it with scissors to make it easy.

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

Thanks Cheap, I can do that. I could even use cardboard so I could cut it with scissors to make it easy.

I just think the carboard will flex and maybe give you a false reading?
Unless you have some stout cardboard...like fridge box or??

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

As long as we can still call it a Starcraft all is ok and the sun will still rise in the morning;):D