Mike has a new boat :D

mikeandronda

Lieutenant Commander
OK the other day Im going out to eat with my Dad. He owns a fairly large Powersports/Boat dealership. Part of the reason I moved to Florida was to work for him. So Im arounds boats quite abit. You would think he would have a sweet boat but um the saying goes "The Shoe makers children go shoeless" and it applied here and apparently it even applies to him.

So we are driving and he says I think I found you boat you can have. So I get excited and wait to hear what kind........He waits a few seconds and then says " It has a bunch of holes in the bottom" and then says nothing else.

So I start to think is this some kind of an old guy way of telling me to take a long walk on a short pier.

But no.....he was serious......OK it really is a couple of cuts in the the fiberglass hull from when they where building the deck on the boat and the saw went through...... There is one cut about 6-7 inches and another about 4 inches......So Im not sure how hard of a repair it will be, it has a strong 25 Evinrude that runs great, sooooooooo Im back in the game dudes. When I figure out how to post pics I will post a few in the repair sections so I can ask some of the experts on the hull repair.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Mike has a new boat :D

congrats, it's time to go fishing. the guy i buy my parts locally, has not had his boat in the water in 2 years. too busy.

you can up load to a free service like photobucket.com then you choose the pictures you want( clik the little box at the bottom left of the picture) scrool to the bottom of the page, clik generate html, it will take you to the next page, scroll down to thumb nails clik on that and copy, then insert it into your post.

also if you are planing on posting pictures, you can use the Blue post reply or the go advanced, manage attachments, there you can upload , directly from your computer. besure you pictures have been resized to fit the format.

oops!

Supreme Mariner

the trasnsom is rot....so are the stringers....and the foam is so soaked your hull is hooked........

duho....:eek:

sorry mike...thats the standard repair answer :eek: :D

glad your back in the game bud

.....upload to photo bucket , resize to 640x 480 and c&p the img code

hull repairs like that are a snap !

cheers
oops

oops!

Supreme Mariner

heh heh heh....td and i were typing at the same time

mikeandronda

Lieutenant Commander

OK she aint pretty but its a start and it was the right price.......Free.......Well free until I put it in my yard and start working on it.......... :O

Attachments

• IMG_7213.JPG
    IMG_7213.JPG
    80.7 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_7218.jpg
    IMG_7218.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_7215.jpg
    IMG_7215.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 0

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Want a great step by step..... look in the resto section and look for the Crosby that i386 is doing...... looks the same.

Good luck with it!

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Cool Mike. Glad to see the move went ok and you are back posting.

mikeandronda

Lieutenant Commander

Thanks guys. I figure if after I get into it and take off the deck they were building to get at the inside of the hull where they cut it, I will get a better idea of what kind of shape the boat really is in. The transom seems solid but there is some cracks in the fiberglass on the top that I can see wood underneath. I took some advice I read on here and tapped all arond the transom with a rubber headed mallet and it all pretty much sounded the same.

The motor needed a starter so the boat mechanic in my dads service center put a new one in and he said it started right up and ran strong as far as he could tell. I figure I will do the repair on the hull and put her in some water and see how the motor runs and if all is well I will then do my best to bring her back to her glory days. :D

Roscoe, the move went well and we like here so much we are looking at some homes to buy........I guess we plan on staying......Truth is Ronda said next move out of state I will doing on my own so I guess Im here to stay :D

aspeck

Staff member

Cool project boat, Mike! Congrats on getting back into the game. Told ya you couldn't stay out of it too long! Now, there goes all the money you have saved! :D

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

nice little project, very similar to my 14 ft, 1970 collins.
maidenvoyage001.jpg

mikeandronda

Lieutenant Commander

Thanx for the pic TD. I like how the seats are and I was thinking about taking the front deck out to give it a more open floor. The way your front seat is would work very well with that Idea.

Kiwi Phil

Commander

sounds like you'r going down the same road as your Dad Mike.
I know it is nice to have something that is nice, but is the fun in the restoration or time on the water.
Ever thought of just filling the holes so it dosn't sink, give it a good clean, and go fishing.
Well ...maybe I should have said that.....I'm one of these blokes that own boats and never go out too....I've just contradicted my self.
Have a good time mate.
Good to see someone get on with their Dad in the workplace too.
Cheers
Phillip

MikDee

Banned

Well, This looks like a job for,,, Duct Tape! :D Yeah, that oughtta do it! ;)
Hey, It's my wifes favorite item! It even comes in clear now! Boy, is she happy! :D

blackhorse

Seaman Apprentice

Nice area and that boat should be just right for local boating and fishing opportunities.

mikeandronda

Lieutenant Commander

Yes Blackhorse spent part of my weekend on the Swaunnee river and all I could think about was how it sure would be nice to have her ready to go.

As for duct tape, as far as Im concerned the 2 most importiant tools in a mans tool box is duct tape and a hammer.....you should be able to fix just about anything with that.

Kiwi, I hear ya The man(Dad) works 60-70 hrs per week and when he is not working he still is working up in his head.............It struck me last yr that he could buy pretty much anything he wanted but it wouldnt matter cuz he can never step back from his work and take time to relax or play..........There has to be a balance.....

Benny1963

Lieutenant

what brand is it . it looks like a mckee or carolina skiff dood deal

mikeandronda

Lieutenant Commander

Its a Zephyrcraft. 1978 or 1979 I do believe. I looked up Zephyrcraft on line and could find very little about them.