1961 Starcraft - 'The whole' story

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral
Re: 1961 Starcraft - 'The whole' story

Just use your ears...I'll be the one hollering 'fish on a Starcraft' every time I pull another in ;)

GPS...Gotta Purchace Sometime...myself lol

I tell ya..I got a Eagle Cuda combo GPS & FF for 209!!!!
Its pretty bomb diggity from Bass Pro Shops..

They also have an Internet deal right now where you can pay over 6 months on orders over 125.00...Hate to steer anybody from the iboats store..so just saying....

jspano

Senior Chief Petty Officer

damn you kenny, one more thing i have on the list now!

looks great

Broadcast

Petty Officer 1st Class

Just getting caught up on your project after a week of fishing and not checking in. Looking Great Kenny! Those red lights are really gonna light up the red eye's on some hawg Lake St. Clair Smallies! I'll be listening closely for the "Fish on the Starcraft" calls! Think the fish will be lining up too, just to be caught so they can take a peak at the craft!

Bwana Don

Lieutenant Commander

Wow Kenny, you're making my boat look like a rag!:eek: You probably added a good two months to my resto, thanks a lot. I'm going to go polish something and hide my head in shame. Maybe I'll just go Rat Rod........

HopeSheFloats

Lieutenant Commander

The good the bad & the ugly...

the good...
hung the engine today...
minidscf2022.jpg

the bad...
either I had inferior decals, or did not prep the surface properly, as after a few hours in the blistering{lol} sun, they bubbled up & started to lift at the edges...
minidscf2023.jpg

need less to say they are history, thinking maybe leave it plain jane for now, as I'm too po'd about it right now to think about it...
minidscf2029.jpg

The ugly...{which began my day}
It was too ugly for photo's, and besides, I couldn't focus with the tears in my eyes...I drug the motor & stand out of the garage, lined it up on the sidewalk with the cherry picker. Hooked it up, removed the mounting bolts from the stand, raised it enough to remove the stand, then.........
as I began to pull the hoist & motor towards the boat, the idiot light came on...juuuussssttt a tad to late...seems like some dummy forgot to tighten one of the lower legs of the hoist, and that same dummy didn't realize it until he heard the clank of the leg hitting the cement.

Well, as strong as I feel 'at times', this one wouldn't of mattered, 300 pounds of engine and another few dozen from the hoist off balance and...well, you know the outcome.....over and down she went... I held on best I could, only positive was she landed on the grass and the ground is pretty saturated from all this rain we've been getting every other day...

So anyways, no visible damage other than dirt and grass clippings, the rest of the install went without a hitch...need to install the controls, wire everything up, fill the lower unit, throw the plug wires back on and 'then we'll see where things stand'. Might be a day or three, as I've been gradually getting the yard back in shape from the lack of attention the past year or so.
Hope your day was enjoyable!

Edit: oh yeah, forgot to mention...the cover seal works much better right side up{as in the last pic, not like the second lol} :redface: used 3m weatherstriping adhesive, so I hope it holds.

BobsGlasstream

Commander

HSF,
She looks good hanging there.
Sorry about the decals and the spill.
Hope all is well.
Bob

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Hey buddy, a few bucks on some new decals and brush off the grass - you are good to go! Sounds like it could have been wayyyyyy worse. Don't sweat it man, if you are feeling bad just pop on over to my thread and check my progress, you'll feel much better about yourself!

Cheers man!:D:D

bananaboater

Ensign

Bummer on the decals. You put a lot of work into them. :(

One day working on my boat I had a leg go out from under me and I had to clean the grass off. And laugh it off. :D:D

I can relate to your motor.

Albert

Triton II

Commander

HSF, I think that white Johnson looks just fine bare! :cool: Hope the grass stains clean up OK. Cheers,

TII

jcsercsa

Captain

OHH man that stinks on dropping her !! glad shes ok !! she looks great back there !! when you taking her out ?? John

Huron Angler

Admiral

Sorry to hear about the little crash, glad to hear the damage was not worse.

Can't wait to see the rig out and about, with or w/out decals:)

HopeSheFloats

Lieutenant Commander

wooo hooo...it lives...:D
http://img718.imageshack.us/i/itlives.mp4/

Sorry for the quality, this was from my photo camera. Also some fogging oil still burning off. Had to clean the key switch contacts to get her fired. If you listen close you may here the temp warning horn going off...I accidentally pinched it when closing the controls...all good now...dash wiring and then seat/pedestal mounting, then finding storage for all the gear/junk to take along...probably next week before I hit the water, as the holiday weekend has us pretty well booked. If I do find anytime, it will be used looking for a tank to do some further fine tuning.

Hope Ya all have a great Memorial day weekend...remember to put out the flag! :)

Huron Angler

Admiral

She sounds great Kenny, your hard work on that Johnson seems to have paid off in a big way. Idling like a champ and she sounds smooth.

Did you put her into gear at all?

I will need to hook up my trailer lights and drive down your way soon. We need to see if these things will float:D

HopeSheFloats

Lieutenant Commander

...Did you put her into gear at all?

Not yet, didn't want to jinx the happy zone lol, did raise the rpms a hair, a slight hair...can't wait to put her to the test...

& Looking forward to that day Mike, it aught to be a blast. :D

Triton II

Commander

See... she loves being bare! Great to see her running HSF, well done mate! :D

HopeSheFloats

Lieutenant Commander

Thanks T2, yep, think I'll leave her bare, it's growing on me more and more :cool:

jcupo6

Chief Petty Officer

Sounds really good, you'll be in the water in no time!

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Oh man, she really wants to go swimming!!!

Broadcast

Petty Officer 1st Class

Purring like a kitten Kenny! Nice! Should be able to out the stealth troll on some big wallies soon!