1961 Starcraft - 'The whole' story

HopeSheFloats

Lieutenant Commander
Re: 1961 Starcraft - 'The whole' story

Before I did the post I did a search for a pic of one and found a 12 inch on ebay. Tried to attach a pic but failed. Here ya go. Don't know if it is decorative or real or adaptable.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...380227427603&ff4=263602_263622#ht_2524wt_1163

Lol, I just found that one a while ago too...sez you can hang it on a wall etc, which makes me think toy deco, but then again it says it has a keyway...Hmmm for that price.....{insert sound of brain gears meshing}

Azlo

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Hey man, nice winshield. I was gonna use plexiglass, but now u got me thinking. I hope you didnt copyright that.

HopeSheFloats

Lieutenant Commander

Hey man, nice winshield. I was gonna use plexiglass, but now u got me thinking. I hope you didnt copyright that.

Thanks Azlo...the royalty payments off-set any chance of a lawsuit, send them to.... :p
Definitely Lexan over Plexiglas, the $$ diff is huge, but the Lexan will take the beating...bare in mind tho, both are very easy to scratch...

Huron Angler

Admiral

Kenny, my dad's Seaswirl has a SS wheel and it doesn't get hot at all.
(but his rig does have a hardtop:p)

Seriously though, I think you'll be happy with SS or oak. I think either would look great with your sweet dash.

Kenny's Custom Boat Works...LLC opening soon;)

HopeSheFloats

Lieutenant Commander

Thanks Mike, I don't have a hardtop, unless being hardheaded counts :D
The Mad Dasher Enterprises, Hmmm nice ring to it lol

BobsGlasstream

Commander

HSF,
I think making on yourself would be really cool and I'm sure you have the talent to do it.
Bob

reelfishin

Captain

.....I've thought about a similar wheel EZ, but wouldn't that get awfully hot in the midday sun? And the way my wallet has clamped shut currently, surely doesn't help in the cosmetic spending department...Ohhhhhh to be rich like some of you :D;)............wait a minute...I have a Starcraft, I am rich! :p

I thought the same thing when I first put one of those on a boat, but they seem to reflect the heat not hold it. They don't ger anywhere as warm as a black vinyl or plastic wheel.

Most of those wood spoke wheels will have straight 3/4" shaft mounts, not tapered as is found on most helms in a power boat. I suspect most of those small sized wood wheels are from smaller sailboats. I have one here that's a combination of brass and wood, but uses a straight shaft. I have seen a few older rope/cable type helms that use straight shafts but I'd never use one of those just to be able to have a wood wheel
I like an open spoke wheel, but most are flat with no offset, meaning that if the dash is flat, you might end up with the wheel pretty close to the face of the dash. They also work best if mounted 90 degrees to the deck for some reason, but thats just personal preference I guess.

With that dash, just about any wheel will look good, but most of these Starcraft boats seem to work best with a smaller wheel when it comes to seating position and side clearance. When I had my Jupiter, I had considered making a new dash and moving the wheel to the left a bit for comfort.

HopeSheFloats

Lieutenant Commander

Been slow going lately, weather and wallet hold up's putting the hurt on...grrrr

Just about have the side panels ready for install, couple of coats of epoxy on both sides, followed by 2 coats epoxy paint on the fronts... here's a shot near the beginning...
minidscf1966.jpg

of course I needed to keep that rope look going...
minidscf1987.jpg

needed to extend the speaker openings, as there wasn't quite enough room behind the panels without them...
minidscf1985.jpg

then made a mirror image for the other side, and edged them in aluminum...
minidscf1982.jpg

Here's 'almost' how they'll look installed, I need to make some brackets to rivet under the gunwales and the deck for attachment, as it doesn't look as tho there ever were any...the previous ones were simply screwed to the hull support pieces and it actually laid against the gunwale, looking gaudy...
minidscf1989.jpg

in case anyone's wondering, I used aluminum 'J-trim' for the channel around the panels, Home deepo sell's these here for $1.98 for a 10ft'er, attached with screws from behind as I didn't want a bunch of fasteners showing...I figure about 6 total per side showing{three across the top, three down low}...
minidscf1965.jpg

I need to paint the hull behind the cubby openings, and install the shelf board. Plan to just recoat the bedliner stuff up front and under the bow area, I really don't want to try and remove what's there already.

And as a final note...some may cringe at this, but I'm going with carpeting, sorry, but I like it under foot, never had much trouble keeping it clean before, and quite frankly I got the new carpet and adhesive for $38 at HD, I think I heard my wallet and wife finally exhale instead of gasping lol. Hope to install it tomorrow as we have two nice dry days lined up for a change.

Hope your all doing fine!

sprintst

Commander

Man that's a nice finished look you've got going on. I may do that alum trim as well...

jcupo6

Chief Petty Officer

Amazing work, that boat is gonna look great!!

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

No problem on the carpet. It's a personal preference. And I know you already bought it....but hopefully you got a color that doesn't show dirt. I had navy in the Jupiter and HATED it. I had navy on the floor and gray on the sides. I SOOO wished I'd reversed that.

Huron Angler

Admiral

Kenny the rig is looking fantastic:)

The rope theme is a nice touch, very nautical. It ties the whole thing together nicely. Do I need to get you measurements to you to get my side panels done?:p

I am also slightly concerned that those 6x9s will be scaring the fish:eek:

Keep it up and you'll be cleaning fish blood out of that carpet before ya know it!

BobsGlasstream

Commander

HSF,
Your side panels look great, and no I'm not going to mention you know what. :D
It all looks great and if you like carpet then it's what you should use.
Keep up the great work.
Bob

jcsercsa

Captain

Love the panels, great Job !! speaker look great on there !! John

HopeSheFloats

Lieutenant Commander

EZ, I went with a charcoal grayish carpet, little black mixed in. It's kinda dark, but never seemed to get too hot on my old Sea King tinny...this purchace was the remnants of a roll, like 6&1/2' or so by 12' on the clearance rack...hope to show it installed this evening.

Mike, no need for measurements just yet, maybe I'll ask for them after the checks been cashed :p
and the 6x9's are only used while 'bikini' fishing ;)

Bob, Thanks...go ahead & say it, you know I would :D

Thanks John!

HopeSheFloats

Lieutenant Commander

Here's what the carpet looks like...need to remove the side panels tomorrow, as there's a bow in each side, one at center support, other at rear support, they{supports} just need a quick shave... Plus, my iboats order arrived this afternoon, so while the panels are back off I can install the led lights, be a little easier.

minidscf2001.jpg

minidscf1993.jpg

Also received the battery box's, bilge pump{800 gph}, fuel line assembly, a new foot for the windshield support, and a couple of parts from flea bay, a tach and a slide mount for the co captains chair...fun times tomorrow.

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

That boat is so close to being in the water - oh man I have such a long way to go!!!

Nice work Kenny!

jcupo6

Chief Petty Officer

Wow, you should be proud. That boat looks better now than it did brand new!