1961 Glasspar Citation Project

WLyouth05

Recruit
Re: 1961 Glasspar Citation Project

if anyopne can help out with my last message on the forum. pleae contact me with that email address

Rodbinkc

Recruit

its nice that you've taken time to post these pictures that encourage others. thanks

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Hey andgott

Just wanted to say how much I have enjoyed your project and hope you and yours had a Happy Thanksgiving!!

I'm Just Sayin...:D

andgott

Master Chief Petty Officer

Thanks...

The restoration is continuing, slowly... Work has been getting in the way! But, I've been gathering all the materials for the seats, and getting the motor parts together. Hopefully, She'll be ready for the water soon!

-Andrew

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Any updates? I been learning how to Sew, working on my upholstery.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!!!

I'm Just sayin...;)

59_seafair

Seaman Apprentice

If anyone lives in Washington State and would like to have a boat like this one to restore let me know and I will tell you were one is for about 100 dollars.

andgott

I'm back on shore, and back working on the boat... There's a bit of snow outside, but PLENTY of inside work to be done.

The next big project is the seating & upholstery. None of the original seating was intact, so I am going to have to make everything myself. The 'parts boat' that I bought had some of the seating left, so I was able to use it for patterning. I didn't really like the designs, though, so I played with a couple of possible design options, and this is what I think I'm going to go with-

IMG_0960-1.JPG

This is the front seat back. All the seats will be similar.

IMG_0961-1.JPG

They'll look a bit better once the foam is inside of them. I'm pretty happy with the design, though. I think it'll look good. I borrowed the 'design' from the foredeck-

1stwhite.jpg

Using the red stripe down the middle, with the white on the sides.

I made the seats from Marine Vinyl- First I made the welting, then stitched all the panels together-

IMG_0959-1.JPG

I'm doing all this on my trusty vintage machine, which is about the same age as the boat-

IMG_0962-1.JPG

Those old machines have the power and strength needed to get through multiple layers of vinyl with no problem... And, they can be found CHEAP at thrift stores, on craigslist, and even E-Bay.

I've been taking a lot of photos as I go, and if anyone is interested, I'll put some detailed instructions together. It's not all that tough to do, It's actually kind of fun :)

-Andrew

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Very Nice!!!! I just got started doing the same but NOT near as far along nor as good as you are doing. That is some GREAT Looking stuff. Definitely post some mor of your sewing stuff. I will eat it up..

I'm just sayin...:D

andgott

Well, I'm waiting for a new belt for the sewing machine- the old one was rotten, and finally died... I also ordered a 'proper' piping foot, so I'll be able to make my welting with a bit more ease. I had been using a zipper foot, which WORKS, but the piping foot should be a lot easier!

In the mean time, I cut out all the plywood parts for the seats & seat backs, and painted them. They're all covered in vinyl in some way or another- and the originals were never painted- but I figure I might as well do it now since I can't make the covers at the moment anyway! The old ones lasted over 50 years, let's hope that the new ones do, too!

-Andrew

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

LOL I have the exact pair of sissors and stitch remover but.... my pliers have Orange Handles:p

I bought a Piping foot as well and it sure makes it a LOT easier to do. My struggle is making tight corners but I found out that the zipper foot works well on that. I'm looking forward to the BIGGER pieces. I'm thinking they will be a LOT easier. The other issue is multiple layers i.e.4 layers when you do the piping and the sides. How do you set your presser foot tension to get proper feeding? I am having a lot of issues with that. Bobbin Jams etc... My machine is almost exactly like yours.

andgott

I really don't have a lot of problems- That machine is a BEAST. It's early '60's vintage, and POWERFUL. It doesn't hesitate to go through 6 layers of heavy vinyl... I'm using a heavy duty, bonded polyester thread that's made specifically for marine applications. It took a little playing with the tensions to get it all right, but once I got it dialed in it all worked great.

My machine is a 'high shank' model- Most home models are short. There is a lot more clearance on this one, plus I have the added advantage of being able to use commercial machine feet, which are SUPER cheap, $5-$6 each. I can sew through more than 1/2" of material without too much difficulty.

I hear you on those corners- They are a bit tough, but practice will make perfect... Make sure you cut some relief cuts in the material to help it around!

Check out this video on You-Tube- It's not MARINE upholstery, but the same principals apply-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kj_1s5hBNqw

It's the first of three videos on a 'box welted' cushion, which is more or less what you're making...

-Andrew

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

AHHH, High shank!!! Yep mine IS a low shank. and it may NOT be as powerful as yours. It seems to NOT want to advance the vinyl without me pulling it through which causes the length of the stitch to vary drastically. I'm getting there but NOT as fast as I would like. I MAY look for a Heavier Machine. Thanks for the input..

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

Nice looking work....I'll try about anything, but I cheated and had someone else do my upholstery! You are going to have one sweet looking boat!

andgott

I've never had any feed issues. I adjusted mine from the start for thicker materials- You might be able to 'tune' your machine a bit to get the results that you need. Check out this guy's videos on You-Tube-

http://www.youtube.com/user/Cechaflo#p/u/27/q2gM6zVd7l8

He's got a couple on there about making adjustments, one is specific to the feed dogs. Your machine MIGHT be adjustable...

Mine was a lucky score- I paid more to have it shipped (it weighs a TON) than I did for the machine itself. It's a tough beast, with a 2.2 amp motor. WAY more power than you find in modern machines, and it's all metal where it counts (the inner workings), so you don't have to worry as much about breaking it! I wouldn't DREAM of trying to use one of my wife's machines with this heavy stuff, it could probably do it, But I wouldn't want to be held responsible if it did break. One of her machines was a bit over $5k... It hurts to spend that much on anything that doesn't use gas!

I got the new feet today, unfortunately the drive belt isn't here yet, so I'm still out of commission. I DID get a new motor for the boat today- I was going to use the original 1959 Evinrude 'fat 50', but scored this bad boy-
IMG_0964.JPG

It's a 1962 Merc 700 Tower of Power- In pretty good shape. Looks like it's pretty much ready to run, too. It's lighter than the evinrude, more HP, and in better shape. I'll still restore the evinrude, but I think this one is a better match for the boat. Besides, it just plain LOOKS cool!

-Andrew

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Well I did some SERIOUS testing on adjusting my machine and VOILA' what took me 6 hours to sew the first time I did in 15 minutes!!!!! I can't believe it. My machine is NO WHERE NEAR as heavy duty as yours but I have finally managed to get it adjusted poperly. It is Now so much easier and I KNOW when I get to the larger pieces it will be soooooooooooo much better. Thanks for the encouragement.

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

Sweet looking Merc, you can't go wrong with a tower!

andgott

Lots of progress this week, now that the snow is gone.

First of all, I was able to finish all the seats up. After the first two, I decided that the machine I was using was probably not quite up to the job- At least not how I was doing it. I needed a machine that could handle 8+ layers of vinyl- So I picked up this beast-

IMG_1353.JPG

Its a Sailrite LS-1. And it can SEW. If powers through the vinyl like it's butter. It has made my life a LOT easier. These are MOST of the seats, installed on their plywood bases-

IMG_1410.JPG

I also got the windshield and a lot of the trim installed, too. It's actually starting to look like a boat now-

GlassparBowsh.jpg

There is still a LONG way to go- The seats are not installed, they are just sitting there to test fit them. I don't want to permanently install them until I get the mechanical and electrical work done, since I don't want to mess them up :)

I also got the engine running this week, too- The Original '59 evinrude-

I didn't let it run long, because I doubt that its pumping water, and don't want to overheat it. I just wanted to make sure it would fire. Now that I know it runs, I feel better investing the money and time in parts needed for a full rebuild/restore.

I can't wait 'till spring...

-Andrew

tgp***

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Wow! Nice work on the boat....

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

You are and inspiration!! My sewing is going slow due to the same reason of NOT having a strong enough machine. Don't want to pay 300 dollars for the machine I need. Gunna try and do some more tomorrow. GREAT job on yours. Boat is looking GREAT!!! You'll be on the Water Looking good in no time!!

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

Looks great! I'm looking forward too seeing her all wet!