1961 Glasspar Citation Project

andgott

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: 1961 Glasspar Citation Project

I carried petroleum products (Heating oil, gasoline, misc petrochemicals) for about 9 years, but have been working on bulk carriers (iron ore, stone, coal) recently.

andgott

It's been a while since I've posted an update! There has been a lot of progress... Still not done, BUT getting close now.

First of all, She got wet for the first time-

cit2.jpg

BluGrp2.jpg

The Glasspar Owners Association had a cruise/get together that I was kind of 'host' of- We held it at a park only a few miles from my house- so I kind of felt obligated to get the boat in the water, even though it wasn't done. I INTENDED to have it mostly complete by then, but I had unforseen issues with the outboard... So, There was no power, and no steering... I slapped a 7 1/2 HP merc on there just to get from the launch ramp to the area that we held the event at (it was only a few hundred yards!).

Of course, Just in time for the show, I picked up my 'new' tow vehicle- I had to match the boat to an appropriate truck, after all! It's a '66 F-100. I think that they make a nice pair-

TruckBoat.jpg

andgott

But, Back to the project.

I was having serious issues with me motor- I had a 1959 Evinrude Starflite 50. It was running, but not too well. I was also having issues with the lower unit. I was getting tired of throwing money at it- $50 here, $100 there- It was getting expensive. So I started looking for options. I found this on Craigslist not far from me-

normal_850Motor.jpg

A nice running mid-80's Mercury 850. It was on a 14' trihull that had seen better days. And, A decent trailer. I picked up the whole rig for $350- And the guy even delivered it. I stripped the boat of all the parts I could use (motor, steering, wiring harness, etc)- Then sold the trailer and boat for $150. But- it gets even better. There was an older spotlight mounted on the boat... When I took it off, I noticed that it was a nice, heavy duty chromed brass light, with a remote cable. I opened it up, rewired the bulb, and it worked! It turned out to be an Ivalite searchlight, which I sold on E-Bay for $225.00. Yes, I got $375 for parting out the boat that I paid $350 for- So I MADE $25 by repowering! I wish I could make a deal like that every day!

So, I lifted the motor off the old boat-

MotorOff1.jpg

And dropped it onto a stand-

MotorOff2.jpg

After some minor tinkering and rewiring (some of the old wiring was a little rotten), I put it on the Glasspar-

photo_4-3.jpg

It was a straight forward install- When I replaced the transom, I had already filled in all the holes, so it was just a matter of re-drilling everything in the correct location. My boat now has THREE parts boats in it- Two other Glasspars, and the trihull...

The control , cables, and wiring harness were also salvaged from the old boat-

photo_2-11.jpg

The control cables were a perfect length!

andgott

Since I was swapping out the motor, I decided to change the steering as well. Originally, the boat had a cable and pulley steering system. It works- But I really prefer a modern rotary system, and since there was one on the 'donor' boat anyway, I thought I'd use it. Of course, the steering cable was a little too short. I was only going to replace the cable, but then I found out that It was going to cost about $80 for the cable, and since I had an older helm unit, I'd have to get an adapter that cost $15 as well. Since a whole new helm with cable was only $110, I opted to just replace the whole thing.

This was the test fit-

photo_1-18.jpg

It fits under the dash quite nicely, and really doesn't take up much more room than the old cable drum did. Best of all, I can use most of the old hardware, including the original wheel and bezel, so it all looks original-

photo_5-6.jpg

Now, I'm just waiting on some parts to finish it all up. The steering tube on the motor had a lot of rust inside it, so I'm going to replace it. After that, the steering should be functional- and it will be time to get back to the lake and see how it runs!

It's been a LONG road, but it's getting there!

-Andrew

andgott

I got the last couple of parts that I needed, and the steering is DONE-

Rigged.jpg

Weather permitting, it's off to the lake tomorrow for 'sea trials'....

andgott

I just checked the start date of this thread. I started it the day I brought the boat home. It was Sept. 26th, 2009... Two years to the DAY...

What happened? It was supposed to take a few months :)

-Andrew

andgott

LAUNCH DAY!!

I spent the morning getting the last couple of things done- Registration stickers on, safety equipment aboard, DRAIN PLUGS (almost forgot those!), then hooked her up behind the jeep-

AtHome.jpg

I dropped it in the water... Nice flat, calm, sunny day. Perfect!

AtDock.jpg

I may be a bit partial, But I think that it's a neat looking design... Looks even better in the water than it does in my driveway, too!

InWater.jpg

The motor fired right up, and ran well. I've got a small issue with it, but I have it tracked down already, its either a bad primer bulb or tank fitting. I'm going to replace the fuel hose, and I should be good to go.

I've been REALLY excited to see how this boat handles since I had a chance to drive some Seafair and DelMar sedans this summer... They have very similar hulls, and I loved how they behaved in the water. This boat is a lot lighter, and a I suspected, is an even better performer. It's better than any boat I've ever owned... It's like a little sportscar on the water!!

After I drove it around a bit, and gained some confidence in my repair work, I decided to go for a 'hole shot'-

That Merc 850 doesn't waste ANY time getting her out of the water. I never did have it all the way to the stop, either- It doesn't need it!!

The wife will probably be a little mad, since she's at work... But I know what we'll be doing this weekend :)

-Andrew

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

Wow she looks great on the water! Congrats! You can't go wrong with a Merc for your hole shot :D, but then again I'm a little partial to them! Glad to hear she handles nicely!

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

I'm envious !!!! I been working on mine since March of 2010 and looks like I'll splash her next spring about 2 years just like you. I can really relate to "A couple of months." Congrats, she's a beaut!!!!

Cowboyup94

Petty Officer 2nd Class

WOW thats beautiful! what happened to the tow vehicle? I see you used a real mans SUV ;)

andgott

WOW thats beautiful! what happened to the tow vehicle? I see you used a real mans SUV ;)

Thanks. It made the work well worth it!!

The tow vehicle is currently beginning a LONG restoration... I pulled out the carpet to check on the floor pans, and found some cleverly hidden rust damage to the floor pans, and cab mounts- Enough to justify replacing the cab... So, I figured since I had to remove the front clip to get to the cab anyway, I was 75% away from a full frame off, so I figured I might as well do it right if I was going to do it! So, One more restoration project :)

andgott

I'm envious !!!! I been working on mine since March of 2010 and looks like I'll splash her next spring about 2 years just like you. I can really relate to "A couple of months." Congrats, she's a beaut!!!!

Yeah, it always seems to take much longer than we think it's going to, doesn't it?? But, I can assure you, it will be well worth it the first time you open up that throttle :)

-Andrew

Brenn

Petty Officer 1st Class

I just read through the whole thread and congrats on getting her in the water.Looks and sounds great.

Cowboyup94

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I know more about cars and trucks then boats so some advice of what to use on the frame. Chassis saver!!! That stuff is amazing. Also line the bottom of everything with it under the truck. I see your out of our road salt region but keep us updated on the truck, this is the type of projects i really get into. Also what motor and trans she packing?

andgott

I know more about cars and trucks then boats so some advice of what to use on the frame. Chassis saver!!! That stuff is amazing. Also line the bottom of everything with it under the truck. I see your out of our road salt region but keep us updated on the truck, this is the type of projects i really get into. Also what motor and trans she packing?

Thanks... The truck should be a fun project, too. It's my first attempt at land vehicle restoration. I'm buying a new cab for it tomorrow, to save me a lot of cutting/welding!

As for power- It's got a bored out 352 w/headers, Edelbrock intake, Holley 4Bbl carb and electronic ignition. Nice pipes and cherry bombs, too! She's a BEAST under the hood. It's all mated to a C-6 Transmission. PLENTY of power. But- I plan to make it look more like a farm truck, complete with oak bed rails, etc. So, it'll be a bit of a 'sleeper' :)

-Andrew

Cowboyup94

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Whats the VIN on that truck? I will find out all the background info for you such as what plant it was built in if you want.