1961 Glasspar Citation Project

usarmyharley

Cadet
Re: 1961 Glasspar Citation Project

you said earlier if anyone was interested in the sewing part to let ya know...well if ya ever find time to do a writeup or something on it id be glad to soak all that information up.

andgott

Master Chief Petty Officer

Thanks for the words of encouragement...

The Machine was NOT cheap- $700- But once you've used one like this, you will know why. I consider it an investment, though- I've got 3 more boats to do after this one. I also know that if i decide to get rid of the machine after I'm done with it, I can get $600 or so out of it on E-Bay... So in the end, I won't loose much! Actually, compared to paying someone to do the seats, I'm MAKING money :)

I got some good photos for a tutorial today- I'll be posting that shortly.

-Andrew

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Just read your tutorial. I was going to try and post a video but now, after seeing yours, I'm not EVEN going to bother. WOW, great work. Wish I had your machine but I don't think I'm going to invest that kind of money in a machine. Keep up the GREAT work.

I'm just sayin...:D

andgott

I'm back home now, and back to work on the boat. First, I got it off the trailer and on to it's cradle, so it is lower to the ground and easier to work on-

OffTrailer1.jpg

Tilt trailers like this one make it SUPER easy to unload- Even alone...

OffTrailer2.jpg

After I offload the boat, I put the cradle on wheeled moving dollies so I can wheel it around the driveway, and into the garage if I need to. On the trailer, it doesn't fit!

OffTrailer3.jpg

I got the drain plugs installed in the transom, so in theory, at least, it should float now...

I assembled the rear facing folding seats so I could 'fine tune' the cutouts for them-

FoldingSeat.jpg

The mechanisms that allow them to fold away into the front seat are pretty neat. They were missing when I got the boat, but I bought an identical 'donor' boat that was disassembled for it's parts... The ironic thing is the donor boat was is better shape initially than this boat!

I've got a million things to bolt, screw, and glue on- This seems to be the tough stage near the end where it's all little things. The only real major project left is the electrical- This is the wiring harness now-

Wiring.jpg

Needless to say, MOST of it will be replaced!

-Andrew

andgott

A couple of shots today, this is kind of a 'dry fit' to make sure that everything fits like it's supposed to before I permanently install it-

Dryfit2.jpg

Dryfit3.jpg

Dryfit4.jpg

It's hard to remember what this boat looked like when it arrived here-

aaIMG_9525.jpg

Still a LONG way to go- But I've come a long way!

-Andrew

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Andrew,

It's REALLY starting to look GREAT! It won't be long now. I have been slowed by grandkids and 90 year old mom needing my attention. Hope to get back on it soon. Congrats on your Fantastic progress!!!!!

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

Very nice work! Looking forward to seeing her in the water!

Owens58

Recruit

WOW! What a great job on a nice classic. Thanks for posting this treasure trove of info on the citation. This is all so very helpful as I am getting my Glasspar Citation project on the 10th of May. My friend had one sitting in his personal scrap yard that he wasn't doing anything with and we shook hands on a $100 for the boat, trailer, and a 30hp Evinrude that ran last year. I can't hardly wait to get started on it. I will be referring to your project often as this is my first boat project. I have a 1958 Owens 21' Flagship already but will start the Glasspar first as there is far less work to be done. Thanks again for sharing all this with the rest of us!

andgott

She's mostly put back together- And will be wet this week!

SmIMG_3295.jpg

SmIMG_3297.jpg

There are a few small things here and there that I still need to take care of- and one MAJOR thing- There is no motor on there! Turns out I needed to locate a new one (LONG story, and I'm too mad at myself to tell it now ;) ), but I think I've done that... Instead of the '59 50 HP that was on there, it's going to have a newer 85 HP merc, that RUNS, and has parts available :)

She should be ready for her first classic boat event this weekend...

-Andrew

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

I been wonderin about you. She LOOKS GREAT!!! I got the 2nd coat of Color on "My Flamingo" this morning. I can only hope she turns out 1/2 as good as yours. Have you given her a Name Yet??

andgott

SHE FLOATS!

cit2.jpg

After nearly 2 years of work, I launched it this weekend... We hosted a get together for the regional Glasspar Owners Association get together-

BluGroup.jpg

She wasn't done- But done enough to float. I had to rig a 6 HP mercury on there for the day- The old Evinrude is giving me problems... I've got a new 85 HP merc ready to go, just need to drop it on. It won't be much longer!

It was good to have it on the water. Done or not....

-Andrew

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Congrats on the SPLASH, Andrew. Looks like you had a FUN Day!!!!
105? in Tulsa, OK today!!!

andgott

Thanks, tipsy.... She's been repowered with a merc 850, I'll post some updates soon. I'm stuck on a ship at the moment!

gonzo891

Cadet

i have the same project going not as nice as yours but i would love to get a close up pic of the back seating brackets. mine didnt have them in but i just cant figure it out!

andgott

I'm on my way home, when I get there I will get a pic for are you talking about the rear jump seats or the folding seats?? I've got some spare hardware for both, from a 60 and a 61 citation...

Cowboyup94

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Wow this boat is AMAZING! I just read over all 8 pages and after reading I bow down to you. I have seen people restore boats on this website but never heard of someone doing their own upholstery and everything. But you definetly got skills. 1 question, What are the other project boats lined up? Also My Dad and I have entered the boating scene (no more aluminum sears 12' with a minn kota:facepalm: ) with our newest boat a 1969 Glastron V-153

andgott

Thanks. There are a few of us out there that are crazy enough to try to do it all... I make every attempt to do everything I can, from mechanical to finish work.

I do have to apologize- I've been gone, and my message box filled up- so if you had a question for me, I wasn't ignoring you! I was driving my 'other' boat for about 6 weeks-

jjmun.jpg

She's not quite as fast- But can be just as fun. I just finished up a 3rd mates job on her. Needed to refill the bank accounts o I could finish up my toys :)

-Andrew