1961 Glasspar Citation Project

andgott

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: 1961 Glasspar Citation Project

While I'm waiting for the rest of my primer to get here, I've been playing with the topside paint. I had a bit of a rough start, but after contacting customer support, I think I've got everything figured out.

I did a small test area on the spashwell-

redpaint.jpg

This pic is bad, since I took it with a cell phone camera in kind of low light... My 'real' camera is upstairs!

The red color is DEAD on- Just what I wanted. This was primed with white, however- and it takes a good three coats of paint to cover! I was beginning to wonder how BAD I really wanted a red boat :)

The rest of the project shouldn't be as bad, since the primer that's on it's way is dark, and should be a lot easier to cover with the red paint.

The system I am using, By the way, is Supermarine. I decided to give it a shot after talking to a few people that have used it. I've had a bit of a learning curve, as it's not the same as other finishes I've used, but now that I've figured it out, I like it! The primer was great. I guess time will tell how good the topside paint is!

-Andrew

vegasphotoman

Lieutenant

Hi Andrew

good to see you are back on your project! Ive been off I boats fo ra while too...
life gets in the way of the boats!

we sold our Glaspar! some dude out of northern california...we are out of time and hafta let one of teh prject sgo...sorry to see her gone :-(
we finished our Jezebel project on theh upside

either way ROCK ON and keep up the great work...I know yu have the experience so take lots of pics to teach us greenhorns!

andgott

Thanks, Vegas... The Jezebel project looks awesome, Must have been nice to see her wet again. I keep telling myself I'll be there someday :)

I know what you mean about too many projects- I can't seem to get all mine done, yet I add more! I just picked this one up last month, it's the next restore job. Just what I needed :)

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

How are you putting it on? Red never covers well....I cringe at how when I think about how much I spent on mine!

andgott

How are you putting it on? Red never covers well....I cringe at how when I think about how much I spent on mine!

Yeah, Red is a pain... Hopefully it'll cover WAY better over the darker primer- It's actually a red oxide primer, so it SHOULD be a lot easier.

I'm still experimenting with the paint, I've rolled/tipped, and brushed, and both do pretty well, of course I had to sand a bit between coats to get some brushmarks out, but it wasn't too bad.

I'm going to give my HVLP sprayer a shot, too- That's how I primed it- But I'm not too good at spraying, so I'm not expecting much.

-Andrew

woosterken

Lieutenant

dont want to be a bug in your fresh paint :) but........... will the color be a little differernt shade over the dark primer than it is over the white primer?

woosterken

andgott

There might be some slight variation in the color w/ the different primers, But probably not too much. If its too big a difference, I'll just redo this part of the boat, it's only a small piece of fiberglass that makes up the motor well. I'm just using it as a test piece to get my technique down since I'm working with a new paint.

micks110

Andy- the red looked like it came out pretty good in that pic. We painted our laundry room in red years back and I think even with the tinted primer we still did 5 coats of the red. It is a bear for sure but it will look real nice when it's done.

andgott

Yeah, Red is a PIA... But, it looks great on this boat- I know someone that has a mint condition of the same year/model that is it's original red color- and it's SHARP.

I am, however, beginning to wonder if I want to paint the Custom Craft red or not... It was (is) red to begin with, but the gel-coat is bad, so needs a coat of paint.

I sanded down the spashwell and sprayed a coat on with the HVLP sprayer, and I think that's the way to go... I am not a great spray painter by any means, but it looks a lot nicer than the roll and tip method when I did it.

-Andrew

andgott

The correct primer arrived today, and I also finished sanding the first coat of primer, and got the non skid masked off-

06023.jpg

Then I got the primer on-

06022.jpg

The red oxide primer will take the red topcoat a LOT better than the white did. Hopefully I won't need quite so many coats! It's also a lot easier to see the 'flaws' in the darker primer.

The primer covered really well, and I am impressed with how well it builds, and fills small imperfections. I'd most certainly use it again.

This is the splashwell, I'm going to spray another coat on it tonight, but it already has a nice shine to it. This paint has an INCREDIBLE sheen to it. Other jobs I have seen done with it are very impressive- the gloss is much deeper than other paints I have worked with in the past.

06021.jpg

I'm very happy with the color, it's almost dead on to the color I was trying to match. They have about 6 different reds, and can custom tint, but this one looked close enough, and it is fine...

The primer should be sandable in a little bit, so I can go hit a few spots that need it.

Of course, I managed to run out of thinner... So It'll be a few days before I can get her painted... More time to polish hardware I guess :)

-Andrew

andgott

I got the deck sanded today, so it's ready for paint when the thinner gets here.

I also got the interior of the hull and the new floor primed-

HullPrimed.jpg

I'll get a couple of coats of gloss white on there, hopefully this week!

It's nice to be this far along, where things actually LOOK like progress. It is actually starting to look like a boat again!

-Andrew

BobsGlasstream

Commander

Looking good Andrew,
I'm doing the same as you with the color. Blue to Red. I really like red boats, cars, trucks, and bikes. I'll buy any color as long as it's red. :D
Take care and keep up the great work.
Bob

andgott

Thanks, Bob... Once I saw the photos of this boat in red, I knew it was the only way to go... Besides, it'll match the Jeep :)

First coat of paint is on inside the hull. I'll follow this up with another coat of white, then a 'speckle' finish that'll look something like the 'Zolatone' finish that Glasspar used on a lot of their boats... I think it'll be a two-tone grey. The inside of the boat is bare roving, and it DOES show in a few places, so I think this will make it look a little more finished.

HullPtd2.jpg

HullPtd1.jpg

andgott

The 'fake zolatone' (Should I call it Faux-La tone??) is done. I used two shades of grey, it's a little darker than the photos show. I think it turned out just about as I expected-

IMG_2487.JPG

IMG_2490.JPG

It really hides the roving texture well.

Next, the floor will get a coat w/ non skid additive. Then the hull is DONE.

-Andrew

andgott

A better shot of the interior paint job-

IMG_2495.JPG

The two shades of grey really hide a lot of the roving texture, and make it look far more 'finished'. Most of this won't even be readily seen, it'll be under the deck- but there are a few areas where it'll be exposed.

Now, If I just had the thinner I need to spray the topsides... Hopefully tomorrow.

-Andrew

Darren Nemeth

Chief Petty Officer

How did you create that "zolatone"? Is it in a spray can? Did you "flick" a brush around?

I need to do a white and black effect like yours in my splashwell and bow.

andgott

True Zolatone is sprayed, but I didn't have the equipment to do so... So I had to improvise.

The flecks are applied by 'tossing' them on with a brush. It took a little practice on some plywood panels to get it right, and then I did some practice on the areas of the boat that won't be seen (like in the bow, stern, etc). To save you some time experimenting, here is how I did it-

First, I painted the whole area with the base coat. I wanted it to be white, but of course it could be whatever color you want. I let the first coat dry overnight.

The paint you use for the flecks is the same paint as the base coat, but obviously another color... I used two grays, which I mixed myself from gloss white and gloss black. After a lot of experimentation, I found that it was best to thin the colored paint considerably- about 20-25%.

Next, I rolled another coat of the same color on. To get the effect I want, I found that it was best to work 'wet on wet', so the color flecks kind of soak in to the base coat a bit, rather than staying on the surface in little blobs.

The paint is applied by 'tossing' it from a brush. I tried a couple of different types, but settled with one of those cheap disposable 'chip' brushes. I used a 3". You could probably use a bigger one, but I don't think you'd want to go much smaller.

Load the tip of the brush up with paint- after a few practice runs, you'll know how much. You don't want too much on there, or it'll splatter and run. To apply it, I held a piece of wood in my left hand, and hit it with the brush, causing it to spatter. You get about 3-4 good 'sprays' before you have to reload the brush. This flings paint EVERYWHERE, so mask off anything you don't want flecked- INCLUDING the floor, and your jeep... Yes, I am speaking from experience :)

The key to getting a random looking finish is to vary your technique a bit, go in different directions, from different angles, and work on different parts of the boat at different times. I would do a patch in the bow, then move to the stern for a while, then to the side... Until it had a nice, even coat of the first color.

Then, I went over all of it with a darker color. Don't be discouraged- at first, it looks like a painting accident happened, but once you get the technique down, and especially after you get the second color down, it starts to look nice!

It took me probably 2 hours start to finish, and I think that it was well worth it. It really doesn't cost any more than painting it a single color would have, and looks a lot nicer.

-Andrew

older

Banned

I'm new here and just found your thread. Amazing work. I too have an older sixty something fiberglass 14 footer. Presently I'm trying to get the engine running again.

If you don't mind, I have one question. My boat has a plug on the floor just about under the dash area. I really don't know what it is for other than an air pocket to help with flotation, maybe? The floor seems to be made out of fiberglass.

Will keep watching your progress to give me hope on my POS.

andgott

It could be an access plug of some type- Is there foam floatation under the floor? Sometimes they put a plug in and filled the bilges with floatation foam. SOME glasspars were apparently built this way, mine wasn't. No floatation.

The floor could be fiberglass, or it might be like mine was, plywood covered in fiberglass... My other boat has solid fiberglass floors- So NO rot there.

Check closely for hidden rot- Under the floors, transom, stringers. You'd be AMAZED where you'll find rotten wood in these old classics!

-Andrew

older

Banned

It could be an access plug of some type- Is there foam floatation under the floor? Sometimes they put a plug in and filled the bilges with floatation foam. SOME glasspars were apparently built this way, mine wasn't. No floatation.

The floor could be fiberglass, or it might be like mine was, plywood covered in fiberglass... My other boat has solid fiberglass floors- So NO rot there.

Check closely for hidden rot- Under the floors, transom, stringers. You'd be AMAZED where you'll find rotten wood in these old classics!

-Andrew

I think I'll leave well enough alone. With my luck, if I pull that plug, everything in the boat will fail. :D Well, there is the radio that is loose, steering wheel that sort of sloppy, the seats that creek, etc. but it has class!

Thanks.