1961 Glasspar Citation Project

andgott

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: 1961 Glasspar Citation Project

I double checked my measurements last night, and realized that I didn't need another layer of plywood after all. The old transom was just shy of 1 1/2 in thick, counting the outer and inner fiberglass. BUT- It was also swollen & delaminated- Making it 'appear' thicker than it really was.

When I checked, the old transom was 3 layers of ply- It appears to be 3/8" like I am using now. So, I don't need 4 layers of ply after all- only 3. 3 x 3/8" will give me about 1 1/8", plus the thickness of the outer fiberglass (A little over 1/8", and a few layers of inside fiberglass (Probably a little over 1/8" once I'm done), and I'll have 1 3/8" total- Just shy of what I had measured on the original transom. 1/8" isn't going to make a difference, especially since my lamination is stronger than the original- So I am certainly not worried about it.

Here is the new transom, now that all the clamps are off- Ready for Fiberglass-

bcIMG_9782.jpg

The filler around the edges is Epoxy mixed with Phenolic- I used this to laminate everything together, and where it 'oozed' out it filled any gap between the fiberglass and the wood nicely.

I used a saber saw to rough cut the wood around the transom, and then cleaned it up with a grinder-

bcIMG_9784.jpg

Next, A layer of fiberglass over the whole thing- Wet out with Epoxy. This is the first time I have had the 'proper' tools, I bought resin rollers for this job (all of my other jobs were done on VERY tight budgets :) ), they make life a lot easier.

bcIMG_9790.jpg

I'll be adding a layer of 4" tape around the edge, then another layer of fiberglass, then another layer or two of tape. This transom is WAY more solid than the old one- It is VERY solid.

While I am working on projects like the transom, I have small 'other' projects waiting to be completed in case I mix too much resin... Which I almost ALWAYS do. I'd rather have too much than not quite enough! The epoxy has a long enough pot life that I can usually get my main job done, and also knock a few small ones out, so I don't let the epoxy go to waste. I have glued a few pieces of new ply onto the deck, where I removed the old, rotten ones-

bcIMG_9785.jpg

And, The areas around where the seats are mounted as well-

bcIMG_9788.jpg

The centers of them will be cut out later.

parrisw

Ensign

very nice work!! Looking forward to updates.

andgott

Well, She's packed up for the month.

I am returning to the ship that I work on. I am on a plane now, 1/2way to Detroit (gotta love GOGO internet access....) It'll be a lovely late oct/early November on the Great lakes for me! Hopefully, the weather won't be too bad.

Need to refill the bank accounts :)

See you in a month or so!

-Andrew

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

Great work! Makes me wish I had a project boat in the shop for the winter. Errr, maybe not...

FYI, you can shoe-horn a later Johnrude 60 or 75 horse powerhead into that same chassis and actually gain a bit in fuel mileage, in addition to the extra ponies. They improved the carburetion a bit by the mid 1960s - enough to go from frat-boy funneling the gas to just chugging it...

andgott

Great work! Makes me wish I had a project boat in the shop for the winter. Errr, maybe not...

FYI, you can shoe-horn a later Johnrude 60 or 75 horse powerhead into that same chassis and actually gain a bit in fuel mileage, in addition to the extra ponies. They improved the carburetion a bit by the mid 1960s - enough to go from frat-boy funneling the gas to just chugging it...

Thanks. I'll have to look in to that, in case I have 'issues' with the motor that's on there now. It's such a great match to the boat I'd hate to see it go!

andgott

Back on shore after a LONG month at sea- And back to work on the boat, too!!

I've got the new stringers done. They are laminated plywood, coated with a generous coat of epoxy-

IMG_9938r.jpg

They should last much longer than the old ones- They were some kind of light weight wood. There was a lot of surface rot on them, but they were intact enough for me to use them as patterns for the new ones.

Hopefully they'll get installed right away next week!

I've already got my NEXT project boat lined up, too... This is a true sickness.... It will be delivered next week. I'm going to be stashing it in the basement until the Glasspar is done...

-Andrew

andgott

The last of the fiberglass work is done on the transom now- I forgot how 'thirsty' Biaxial cloth is!! It soaked up a LOT of resin. The transom is just slightly thinner now that it originally was- But now MUCH stronger...

I'll get some pics up soon.

Next up- The stringers go in, and then the floor... Headed off to Florida this weekend, so it's going to have to wait 'till next week. Hopefully the weather will be on my side :)

-Andrew

vegasphotoman

Lieutenant

Nice work Andgott, thanks for posting your pics and info!

The "epoxy" likes the wood better than poly is sooooo true!

Rock on with it! suscribed to thread

andgott

Thanks!

Hopefully the stringers and floor will be going in on schedule this week- I've got to get home first to do it, though...

I see in your sig line you've got a '61 G-3- Cool boat. I've got the 1961 brochure- if you're interested in a digital copy, I've got it scanned.

-Andrew

vegasphotoman

Lieutenant

Hi Andrew
yeah that'd be awsome, (brochure scan, I will pm you my email)

Do you have anything (digital or otherwise ) on your Citation? Ive found some stuff scanned online for Glaspars (ads and such) could find some more if you're interested

And yeah we've got a 1961 G3 in kinda rough shape (lots of gel cracks), well restore her later this winter....too many other boat projects ahead of her.

andgott

Some actual progress today! It is nice to see things going back together, rather than coming out. It was a PERFECT day for epoxy work, too- Mid 60's and overcast, so I had generous pot life without having to worry about it being too cold for things to cure right.

First of all, I finally built a cradle so I could get it off the trailer... The keel is supported along it's full length, rather than just 3 or 4 spots where there is a roller. Plus, it's lower to the ground- making it easier to work on from the outside, and easier to get in and out of-

AF04.jpg

normal_AF01.jpg

The wheels aren't actually attached to the cradle- They are moving dollies from Harbor Freight (about $7 each). They make it super easy for me to move the hull around and in and out of the garage as I need to, But I can take it off of them easily, too, and just leave it blocked.

Notice that the keel on this boat is NOT straight- It has a curve to it- And the 2 x 4 that connects the front cradle to the rear one has enough flex to it that it conforms, giving PLENTY of support. It is very stable on the cradle- More so than on the trailer.

I got the center stringer in today-

AF03.jpg

AF02.jpg

First, I dry fit all three stringers to make sure that they were cut properly. Once I was sure that they were, I put down a good bed of Epoxy thickened with fumed silica (Cabosil), until it is frosting-like. I then laid the stringer in to it, and then went back and put a fillet of the same epoxy/filler mixture along both sides of the joint.

After that, I laid a strip of fiberglass tape over the joint, and wet out with unthickened epoxy.

The 2 x 2 and 2 x 4 are there to hold everything in place while the epoxy cures.

Once everything cures, I'll install the other 2 stringers. I will attach temporary braces to the center stringer to make sure that they stay put while the epoxy cures.

andgott

I've been doing a lot of research on paint- since I am getting near the point where I am going to need to start doing some priming work. I have researched a lot of different systems, and after talking to the manufacturers and some people who have used it, I am going to give a relative newcomer to the marine paint market a shot.

I have decided to use a product called Supermarine Revolution TS-1000. If it delivers even 1/2 what the manufacturers claim it does, I'll be happy. One thing that really attracted me to it is that they claim that it can withstand long-term submersion, which a lot of topside paints can't. While I plan to trailer my boat, there is always the issue of the trailer bunks and the area under them that never gets quite dry.

I looked at all the 'systems' out there... I thought about interthane, I've used it in the past, and loved the result, but the colors are too limited. Awlgrip was another option, but it's pricey. The Supermarine paints are less expensive, and available in LOTS of colors- and can also be custom matched. So, I am going to give them a shot!

Of course, Most of the painting is a LONG way off... I do want to get the underside of the deck primed once I get all the wood replacement done, though.

andgott

Here are a couple closer shots of the cradle, by request-

AGIMG_0030.jpg

AGIMG_0033.jpg

On 16 wheels, this thing rolls around very easily, and in any direction I need to move it in. It is a LOT easier than having it on the trailer!

andgott

The last two stringers are in now!

AGIMG_0023.jpg

I screwed temporary braces to ths center stringer to hold everything in place.

AGIMG_0028.jpg

They were installed in the same way as the center stringer- Bedded in thickened epoxy, then I put a fillet on both edges (also with thickened epoxy), and over the top of that a layer of fiberglass tape wet out with resin.

Everything seems good and solid already- I'm sure once the epoxy hardens everything will be nice and rigid. The next step will be to install the lateral floor supports, they go in to the notches in the stringers. I'm going to use treated lumber for them, and glass them in place. Then- The floor will go back in.

andgott

All of the framing is now ready to glass in-

AHIMG_0081.jpg

AHIMG_0083.jpg

It is all Pressure treated- But I'm going to coat it all with epoxy, too.

The original floor was not flat- The center stringer is raised a little so there is a bit of a curve to the floor for drainage. I replicated this as closely as possible, so I had to make frames that were curved a bit on the top-

AHIMG_0082.jpg

All of them are curved at least a little. They were a bit of a pain to make, but not too bad... Brought back memories of my wooden boat days :)

I added one extra support aft. That short one was not in the original boat- But this is where I am going to install a removable panel so I have access to the bilge. As built, there was no way to get in there to dry things out- other than the plug in the transom. This whole area is underneath the rear seat once it's all put back together.

andgott

Oh- By the way- The addiction has taken full hold... My next project boat is coming tomorrow. It's going to sit in the basement for a while, but it's a cool one.... It's got fins, fake taillights, and 'jet intakes'. Gotta love the '60's.

-Andrew

vegasphotoman

Lieutenant

cool...youll hafta post some pics here when you get her home...congrats!

ps bummer is ..... they all cost MONEY to restore!!!!!!!!!OUCH..........