1960 Glastron FireFlite has a new home!

GT1000000

Rear Admiral
Joined
Jul 13, 2011
Messages
4,916
Re: 1960 Glastron FireFlite has a new home!

Hey jb,

Just a quick question, Have you fired up the ol johnson?

And by the way, have I mentioned what a koool lookin ride that is...it is gonna be something else when shes all dressed up for the prom...:)
 

jbcurt00

Moderator
Staff member
Thread starter
Joined
Oct 25, 2011
Messages
25,328
Re: 1960 Glastron FireFlite has a new home!

And some more:
Topside deck to hull joint well glassed
Topside deck to hull joint glassed over.jpg
Shot towards the bow
Towards bow.jpg
Windshield t-bolt & nut
Windshield t-bolt nut.jpg
Yeah it's soft:
Yeah its soft1.jpg

What do you all make of this?:
Transom trim stamped number (HIN?)

Transom trim Numbering.jpg

Seems to be a HIN: M160102; But I thought it was usually UNDER the glass UNDER the fore or aft deck.....Hmmmmmm

Sorry hard to hold the part so #showed & take the pix, the warden had to work today (1 of us needs to keep us in the black:rolleyes:, 'cause clearly I'm putting us in the red!)
 

jbcurt00

Moderator
Staff member
Thread starter
Joined
Oct 25, 2011
Messages
25,328
Re: 1960 Glastron FireFlite has a new home!

GT1M: Thanks, like I said earlier, it wasn't my 1st choice, but I do like it's got a little of the Big Fin look, and it's gonna be damn sexy in red w/ a holiday bronze Johnson pushing her around. The warden's a redhead too.......:) Lil Red Rocket isn't truly accurate w/ a 35hp, but I kinda like it.

Sadly no, I pulled the motor off the boat today, then took the lower off too. Very little if any lube in LU, and I remember reading somewhere that if it slips into gear w/out turning prop or flywheel, deep guano my friend. So, when removing trim yesterday I put my hand down on the cowl cover & leaned over motor. Needless to say, I slipped & it easily slipped into reverse.

I have the tools to go through it, I will just need to go slow & re-read the directions before & during attempting to start going through it. It does have the rope pull & handle, but it is cobbled together with some electrical tape. Until I get more rope, I don't want to pull it enough to attempt to fire it up. Electrical system was fubar: missing rubber cover for push start button, rusty fittings & wire ends, split outer & inner jackets, the entire starter solenoid box was a disaster too. Trying to use the starter is out until later. As I push through the hull demo, I'll spend some time getting the parts together to get it in tip top shape! Ordered an outboard book online, it will come while I'm out of town this week. Same w/ pedestal seat, and a recommended runabout rehab/maintenance book.

So for now its a pretty looking, 2pc art in motion garage fixture:cool:
 

jbcurt00

Moderator
Staff member
Thread starter
Joined
Oct 25, 2011
Messages
25,328
Re: 1960 Glastron FireFlite has a new home!

My biggest concern is maintaining all the detailing on the deck, & fixing the cracking. 1 gunnel is cracked in so many areas there may be no way to remove cracks & maintain enough reference to recreate the decks details. I guess I'll need to work it as 3 separate areas... Outer gunnel, inner gunnel & top of gunnel, fixing the top 1st & using sides for reference. Then once the top is repaired, work the inner & outer sides, pulling the lines down from the top. I am concerned that not fixing an area for inside across the top & down the other side as a single area, that the corner may not be repaired sufficiently. For now I'm working on the floor & transom & that will be enough for now. What is it they say about running your 1st marathon? Not so much about how fast, it's the finishing......:rolleyes:
 

GT1000000

Rear Admiral
Joined
Jul 13, 2011
Messages
4,916
Re: 1960 Glastron FireFlite has a new home!

Remember, that just like a marathon, it is as simple as one foot in front of the other, step by step...

You can fix each of the small areas one at a time so you can keep the details and then come back after you finish each individual repair, and blend them all together...

Also you can take a lot of measurements, make some cardboard templates, take lots of reference pictures...

I guess you are talking about the actual hull details, like the fins, spears, etc...???
 

jbcurt00

Moderator
Staff member
Thread starter
Joined
Oct 25, 2011
Messages
25,328
Re: 1960 Glastron FireFlite has a new home!

Yeah, slow is my new middle name:eek: and not in the same way the warden meant it when this followed me home:facepalm:

There are so many areas that need attention on the deck's gelcoat, that it would probably be easier (maybe not cheaper) to grind out the cracks, fill in the damage, and put on a layer of 1.5oz glass. That is what endangers the bow & gunnel details, covering them w/ glasss. The details are only in the gelcoat from its original spray job in the mold. The spears need very little repair work, the gelcoat is already thin. Those detail lines on the front of the spears actually doesn't add much to the look for me, it wouldn't hurt my feelings to have them covered if/when I proceed to working the hull & deck.

I'm going to tackle the motor and get the hull in the garage so I can work on the deck & floor. Need to make a cradle, the trailer's too long.... And start rounding up some electrical & cables for the motor & control box. May re-use the steering wheel emblem if I can get it powder coated & it will fit another steering wheel. There are rubber grips on either side of the wheel that are SHOT! After I get the hub nut broken free, I'll see if the rest of the wheel is sound enough to keep, just w/ out the rubber grips. My wish list for the next 3 years xmas, b-days, anniversaries & just because I'm fantastic gifts:cool: is getting longer & longer........Never thought I'd ask the warden for fiberglass & resin, EVER!:D
 

andgott

Master Chief Petty Officer
Joined
Sep 2, 2009
Messages
801
Re: 1960 Glastron FireFlite has a new home!

Those old FireFlites are real eye catchers when done... Looks like you've got your work cut out for you, though!!

I'd avoid covering the outside with glass cloth- Unless you REALLY like sanding... It'll be a lot of work to get everything sanded and faired. If you think it needs more strength, you could always lay another layer of glass INSIDE. As for the cracks and crazing- Just sand and grind them as needed, and build up the areas with filler... Sand again.... Fill again. They eventually go away. Much of the crazing can be filled with a high build primer as well. But- Don't be surprised if some of it comes back in the future through the new paint job. Crazing is tough to eliminate.

As for the details that are molded in, you might just have to be super careful about sanding around them, or figure a way to reproduce them with thickened resin later...

That motor is nice, though not quite the 'correct' year, and a touch on the low power side, it looks good on there. I've got FOUR 35 jonnyrudes from '57-'59 that are more or less the same under the hood. Strong little beasts.

-Andrew
 

V153

Lieutenant Commander
Joined
Apr 16, 2011
Messages
1,764
Re: 1960 Glastron FireFlite has a new home!

I'd avoid covering the outside with glass cloth- Unless you REALLY like sanding... It'll be a lot of work to get everything sanded and faired. If you think it needs more strength, you could always lay another layer of glass INSIDE
Yup! That's what I'd do. Pop the top & reinforce the problem areas with some biax? You could do it without popping the top, of course, but boy it'd be awful messy ...
 

ncnjeremy

Petty Officer 1st Class
Joined
Aug 2, 2011
Messages
260
Re: 1960 Glastron FireFlite has a new home!

yeah, def pop the cap. Makes it so much easier to get to. IMO anyways.
 

V153

Lieutenant Commander
Joined
Apr 16, 2011
Messages
1,764
Re: 1960 Glastron FireFlite has a new home!

Hey here's an idea to spare ya the trauma of seperating the halves. Considering that hull only weighed 425lb from the factory. Go ahead'n do your transom, stringer and floor repairs first. Then turn the sob upside down'n jack it up high enough to be able to work on the underside of the deck?
 

DustinJean

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Joined
Aug 13, 2011
Messages
144
Re: 1960 Glastron FireFlite has a new home!

good looking classic, and ill let you know if I find any good resin and fiberglass suppliers in Louisville as i will probably be needing more 1708 and resin before i know it and looks like your going to need plenty as well
 

V153

Lieutenant Commander
Joined
Apr 16, 2011
Messages
1,764
Re: 1960 Glastron FireFlite has a new home!

I have a 3 spoke wheel and some cleats off a '71. Not for sale but yours for the price of shipping. Have two centercaps for the wheel as well, one newer & one older Glastron "G" emblem. Now if I can just get it off'n the helm ...?
 

Attachments

  • V153SteeringWheel.jpg
    V153SteeringWheel.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 0

herefishy

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Joined
Oct 27, 2011
Messages
191
Re: 1960 Glastron FireFlite has a new home!

I was thinking about the lone cleat that you wish had a partner. I thought you could find some kid in high school shop, and catch him during the foundry session, and get a partner or two cast in al-you-meen-ee-um,

~Fishy
 

jbcurt00

Moderator
Staff member
Thread starter
Joined
Oct 25, 2011
Messages
25,328
Re: 1960 Glastron FireFlite has a new home!

Fishy: Are you suggesting me, my old van & a junky (warden's new fav word:mad:) boat sit parked out in front of a high school waiting to talk to a kid????? Why don't you just go ahead & send me a PM w/ the Free Candy sign you'd like me to put on the van's side.....:facepalm:

Ok, that was uncalled for....It's late & I have an 630a wake up call. Working out of town, had to wait to get my I-boats fix.......Can I get that AL cleat w/ the fabled reevits? W/ a side of gluvit.....

I'll have to check into that. The college here has a really strong pottery program (???WTF please kill me & take my boat if I ever say strong & pottery in the same breathe again. The warden's not here but her boot prints are all over my brain! Please note: I said Kill me 1st, & then Take my boat, Not SINK my boat). Anyway, I was freestyle thinking on the drive down, maybe I should look into a metalworking student there too. Either a trade program or an art program. Who knows, maybe find a sweaty metalworking coed (female, & 1 that can't bench press me) & give the warden a fit:cool:

V153: I would like to see a cleat, but you should probably count me a taker... I think I'd like to stick w/ the script Glastron cap if I can get it sorted out & looking great. Oh & get it to fit.....
 

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner
Joined
Mar 26, 2007
Messages
23,767
Re: 1960 Glastron FireFlite has a new home!

free-candy-demotivational-poster-1239894923.jpg
 

herefishy

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Joined
Oct 27, 2011
Messages
191
Re: 1960 Glastron FireFlite has a new home!

Who knows, maybe find a sweaty metalworking coed (female, & 1 that can't bench press me) & give the warden a fit:cool:

Another thought - I know in the business park that I am located, we get a few of the custom chopper shops operating here - sometimes a flash in the pan - and I catch them melting down aluminum with small propane oven/crucibles (in the parking lot, usually). I think they cast custom parts for their bikes. These chopper shops are pretty numerous lately, what with the popularity of the reality custom chopper shows. Maybe they've got the bits to reproduce the cleat for you if one may be found nearby.

~Fishy
 

jbcurt00

Moderator
Staff member
Thread starter
Joined
Oct 25, 2011
Messages
25,328
Re: 1960 Glastron FireFlite has a new home!

Thanks for the photo.?????? I didnt see you when I was parked down by the river.??????:cool:

I think there is a custom shop 2 blocks from my shop. It may only be a bolt on Harley chrome place, thats all I ever see there. But I bet they can but me on a good lead to getting them done. I wonder how many kids were harpooned by these before Glastron quit using them. Hmmmmm. I may meed to give some more thought to exactly replicating the originals. My thought about a college metal shop was to possibly make them similar but slightly different. Remove the single top screw mount @ front, and duplicate the rear foot in the front, w 2 screws also. And maybe 10% larger, barely 3" now, if molding & casting makes them smaller??????I may need to ponder this a bit. Maybe a blunter end, less spear more footbal like tip. But I really like the custom bike shop idea. Maybe PJD will hook a brother up! :eek: Especially if I promise to bad mourh his handle bar mustache anger management class reject hot headed father??? Anybody know Rick or Vinnie from that show, only sane ones in that bunch??????

BACK TO WORK, the beatings will continue until morale improves:D

NICE, I JUST NOTICED IT WAS EZ, WHO POSTED THAT PIX. WE SHOULD EXPECT BETTER FROM OUR MODERATORS????????CRAP DONT FLAG ME!, I DONT MEAN TO BE ALL CAPS, MY WORK TABLET TOUCH SCREEN IS ACTING UP, I AM DEFINITELY MOT SHOUTING! ;) I'VE SEEN THAT BEFORE @MOBUCK.COM. Thanks for the love, see now no caps????
 
Last edited:

Woodonglass

Honorary Supreme Mariner
Joined
Dec 29, 2009
Messages
25,933
Re: 1960 Glastron FireFlite has a new home!

Here's a pic of the cradle I built for mine which is similar to your boat.
Photo0254.jpg


Also, depending on how your transom is designed, you may not need to pop the cap. My transom wood does not go under the gunwales and so If I would have needed to replace it I would Not have had to remove the cap. My splashwell was removable so it would have been a piece of cake to do the transom. If your splashwell is molded to the cap then removing the cap would prolly be the best but some just cut the gunwales in front of the splashwell and remove it to get at the transom. The cosmetic repair of the gunwales is a pretty easy fix.
 

jbcurt00

Moderator
Staff member
Thread starter
Joined
Oct 25, 2011
Messages
25,328
Re: 1960 Glastron FireFlite has a new home!

Thanks,I looked at some large casters at Tractor Supply when I stopped for trailer wheels on the way to pick up the boat. Up against the weather now too.:mad:
 

jbcurt00

Moderator
Staff member
Thread starter
Joined
Oct 25, 2011
Messages
25,328
Re: 1960 Glastron FireFlite has a new home!

I was at Lowes earlier & grabbed some 36Grit Gator sanding discs 5pk 4" $0.50. 10cents/disc. I know they are only 4" but they were only 50cents a pack.

Not sure if discontinued or what, but they seem fairly stout & well made.....:cool:
 
Top