1959 Starcraft Jet... Boat Rebuild attempt #2

Camlee98

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 1959 Starcraft Jet... Boat Rebuild attempt #2

What are we using to fill the unwanted holes in the boat? 3m, jbweld, gum?

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

All of the above plus bolts/rivets:cool:

Camlee98

Petty Officer 2nd Class

So any of those works fine....and anything thru the hull needs some 5200 correct?

bkwescott

Recruit

A capacity must have weight as well as the max number of pasengers. All I can find for a jet is the 50 hp rating anyone know what the rest should be.

jtrom

Petty Officer 1st Class

All I could find was the 10-50 hp rating on the old brochures...remember this boat was built before all that was required....

jbcurt00

Staff member

There are several factors that contribute to capacity limits:
Overall length
Length at the waterline
Transom width
Transom height
Max beam
& etc

So it could easily change model year to model year in the same model family. Here's the capacity info on a 15' 1968 Jetstar
68_Starcraft_Falcon_JetStar.jpg

Last edited:

TruckDrivingFool

Lieutenant Commander

Pssst...... Jb that's the 68' info

Sorry, tried to whisper it as to not correct you in public. :D

Camlee98

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I'm still trying to decide if I want to go with the original plate (That doesn't have all the info listed) Or use the newer version and add the info to it.

Anyone of you fellow jet owners with a garboard drain plug know the size offhand? I need to order one because mine came without.

bkwescott

Recruit

Thanks I didnt see that brochure in my serch. Mine is a 61 looked like the dimensions lined up except for a 2" diference in overall length? Close enough for me. I am going to get the updated plate I saw on Ebay that is a modern starcraft plate you just punch your numbers in the boxes and pay $20. I dont want any trouble with the law seems these days it all about how many fines they can hand out not about safety. As soon as I get my plate I can get back on the water. I dipped it once this year and realized I forgot to put my registration sticker on the nose as I watched the cost guard go buy. Then noticed their was no capacity plate oops. It has a 2cyl 2 stroke merc 40HP on it. It runs good at about 90% throttle give it more and in 8 seconds it dies pumping the bulb doesn't help. My neighbor thinks it is the high speed jet. He told me to run some startron through it.

bkwescott

Recruit

What was I saying about fines just spent the day with MOSA. He said he was going to use the pictures he took of our job in his classes to show how things should be done then proceeded to recomend citations for technicalities in paperwork. So guess I had a vision into the future this morning. Clearly about the money not safty.
Sorry for the rant back to the boat. It came with a 40HP my last boat had a 140 merc IO so it felt a little slow to me. Anyone know what kind of gains I would see with a 50hp.

Camlee98

Petty Officer 2nd Class

You would get better results if you started your own thread and asked all your questions there. Welcome to iboats!
So I made some progress with the trailer. Stripped it down, sanded it down to bare metal, etch primed and primed. So next step is painting and then reinstalling everything! I've also started sanding the boat.
Here's some pics for your viewing pleasure!
Etch primer
IMAG0115.jpg

Regular primer
IMAG0117.jpg

Oh and I guess it is a tilt trailer!
IMAG0118.jpg

I also started refinishing my control box not great but not bad.
IMAG0119.jpg

Onward and Upward!

Camlee98

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Ok trailer is painted and almost assembled!! Just have to put the bunks on and tighten it all up.
Here's a shot after the fresh coat of paint.
IMAG0125.jpg

And here's the trailer almost complete.
IMAG0130.jpg

How do I adjust my rollers? Any thoughts on that?

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

What I do is drop the rollers as low as they will go, then suspend the boat, slide the trailer underneath, mount and adjust the bunks to the hull. Then make minor adjustments as necessary.

Camlee98

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Ok boat was stripped and etch primer applied. I've also put on two coats of primer. I'm still working out the issues but I've got a couple nice forums fellows helping so it shouldn't be too long before the bottom is painted. Here's a couple photos.
IMAG0133.jpg

IMAG0134.jpg

IMAG0135.jpg

jbcurt00

Staff member

Nice work the hull looks good in primer

lakelover

Rear Admiral
Re: 1958 Starcraft Jet... Boat Rebuild attempt #2

Very important: these pre-1960 Jets have a seem that can only be sealed on the outside under the splash rails...

My Jet Star's a 1964, but I'll second that. Even though I applied 2 coats of Gluvit on the inside according to directions, I think that seam is where most all my water gets in. I'm going to reseal it this fall with 3M 5200 (on the outside).

It's all looking great so far, you're really coming along pretty quick by my standards! Your Jet really has character, a 1-1/2" thick transom will handle a 50 hp beautifully. Nice job on the painting, did you mention what color she'll be in the end?

It'll look nice sitting on that re-done trailer.

Camlee98

Petty Officer 2nd Class

If any of you guys are Mercury fans would you mind taking a peek at my other thread located HERE

Camlee98

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Ok the hull is in her final dress!
IMAG0147.jpg

IMAG0146.jpg

What is this it came off the extra transom board I have.
IMAG0151.jpg

Last edited:

jbcurt00

Staff member

That's to protect the inside transom wood where your Merc clamps tighten against it. Note all those donut shaped scratches on it...