Purchase advice on a 73 Supersport 18

Sunsetrider

Petty Officer 1st Class
I made contact with the owner of this boat and will be going to check it out this weekend.

http://toronto.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-boats-watercraft-powerboats-motorboats-Staracraft-Bowrider-trailer-W0QQAdIdZ387503733

Info from the owner (assuming everything he says to be accurate for now): the motor runs reliably, no problems with it; the seats were replaced some time ago with back-to-backs; the trailer wheels "are OK, wouldn't go to Toronto with it, fine for going to the water and back"; the transom was replaced maybe 12 years ago; the left side of the floor is a little soft; his P.O. had replaced about 15 or so rivets in the hull, but "there's no problem, I just run the "billage" pump a bit on the way home."

Price seems a little high? I will need new trailer wheels and a fairly major job of deck replacement. I have replaced a section of decking on my T-Craft, but I don't believe I have the skills for that big of a job, nor the interior work space. So my plan would be to replace the trailer wheels/tires, clean the boat up, and leave it up at the cottage for general and indiscriminate use by the extended family, looking to re-sell in a few years at a hopefully minimal loss.

As I type this I'm thinking "or take a walk right now!" Thing is, the family cottage will be gone before too long when Mom passes (she is 89) and this boat would be fun to have for the younger set this summer. Decisions, decisions . . .

dozerII

Admiral
Re: Purchase advice on a 73 Supersport 18

Hey Sunset, looks like a project right there. Princess Auto just had a sale on tire and wheel combos for that trailer real cheap. Price is a little high unless that Johnson is in real good shape. I think a sea trial and compression test would be manditory.
Glen

pesky

Recruit

Hey Sunset,
That ad has been listed for few months now, seems high for what sounds like a complete resto. You can definitely find better deals across the border, I use searchtempest to prowl craigslist. I just picked up my boat from the Rochester area and prices are definitely better if you're willing to drive a little. I had no problem bringing her back across the border since she was registered.

Definitely agree with dozerII, motor should be in really good shape for that price.

Good luck!
Pete

Sunsetrider

Petty Officer 1st Class

Good info guys, thanks! I will try that searchtempest thing, see what pops up. I won't bring the truck when I check the SS out this weekend, but I do want to see the condition of the interior before deciding. I might offer up to 2500 depending on my search in the northern US. The season is receding before me however . . .

Dozer - Thanks for the Princess Auto scoop!

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Excellent boat but not priced accordingly for a 40 year old project.

Sunsetrider

Petty Officer 1st Class

Excellent boat but not priced accordingly for a 40 year old project.

That's exactly what I've been tossing and turning about. Esp. with the leak issue that he insists is no problem. I need to have something I can leave in the water for folks to use up at the cottage over the next 2 months and then start the resto in the early Fall back here at home. I don't see how I can address the leak issue without getting right down to it, the whole enchilada. The seller is one of those guys who oversells with enthusiasm and empty words.

'less'n I spray the bottom with Plasti-Dip!:cool:
http://www.plastidip.com/

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

I don't see how I can address the leak issue without getting right down to it, the whole enchilada.

Yup, you got it. The way I read what you have written there is that this is a full rebuild project to make it right. That engine is certainly worth some good coin but he has priced that boat in the turn key category (or just about).

barato2

Commander

At 3100, i think you can strike the "just about" part.........

offer him 2Gs and use the difference for a huge solar panel and 2000gph bilge pump?

cedarjunki

Chief Petty Officer

around here id say about $1200.00 tops considering the work it needs.

DirtyHarry83

Petty Officer 1st Class

around here id say about $1200.00 tops considering the work it needs.

Unless that engine purs like a kitten I'd agree to this statement. She needs work and you're probably going to need to redo a lot of things to get it right. Check that deck very carefully. Low ball as best you can. Boats that never ending hole in the water.

Does the trailer have a title is the VIN legible? Does the boat have a title or quick and easy transfer of ownership. I don't know enough about Canada but it can be a hassle to get that stuff in order when it comes time to transfer ownership.

BEST OF LUCK! if you do get her. I hope you get the deal you're looking for sir!

Sunsetrider

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks guys. He assures me the title papers are in order. It comes down to - I don't mind paying around $2400 if the motor is good (sure looks good) and the boat is useable for a few months, because up here the items I see in the $1200 range are far too scary for me to take on. My workshop is the great outdoors. I have gotten drawn into this Starcraft mania by the threads and photos here and I hope I am not getting carried away by emotion! The current competition for this boat is here - a completely different animal but not as much fun:
http://kingston.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-boats-watercraft-powerboats-motorboats-21-Peterborough-Bowrider-with-140-Evenrude-and-EZLoader-trailer-W0QQAdIdZ379434037

Scrap that whale tail and put on Smart Tabs and Bobz yr uncle (ya, right!)

I keep coming back to the fact that there are plenty of 16s out there it seems but I really think the 18 is the way to go; the big motor is really appealing; and maybe the seats are good to go. Seats are very costly and I hate to spend money on them. I've decided to bring some cash with me and the truck but I have to be ready to walk if he won't come way down. Like, $2K I'm thinking now. :confused:

dozerII

Admiral

Sunset, be real careful when your looking at old glassers, they can hide real nightmares when it comes to water damage. You can have two boats of the same vintage one aluminum and one glass, both treated the same way the interiors in both will be shot but the glasser will have serious structual damage the tin one will just need an interior. Check the floor and transom in the glasser real close for wet or mushy wood. just my 2 cents
Glen

cedarjunki

Chief Petty Officer

; his P.O. had replaced about 15 or so rivets in the hull, but "there's no problem, I just run the "billage" pump a bit on the way home."
this statement here leads me to believe your not thinking clearly about it when you stated {"its useable as is"} needing to run the bilge at any time is not "normal" nor should be considered useable like that. (although i have but it was just me and not my family.) especially at that price. you say you would leave it for yourself and family members to use ..... now, no disrespect but when having fun you tend to lose sense of things..it doesnt take long to fill a boat through a small hole or tiny crack "believe me" good luck

Sunsetrider

Petty Officer 1st Class

Cedarjunkie - in my defense I was quoting him about running the bilge pump - quite a joke actually since the cottage boat sits in water all summer long! No, I have more or less decided that I will check this boat out just for the experience, and search long and hard for a low-cost Starcraft for my project, and just buy a ready-to-wear something for the cottage. On a practical level I am coming to realize I can't fulfill both objectives with a single boat. I won't pay that kind of coin for a leaker, and I can't put a leaker at the cottage.

Buddy dropped by and we talked about my sitch. He dragged me down the road to his father-in-law's yard to show me what he thought I was talking about. I was quite surprised - here it is: Not a Starcraft, but a Bluefin. Surprising how similar they are. Is one a copycat brand? How does the Blue Fin compare to the Starcraft? The problem with this boat: it's only carrying a 35 Merc. So now I wold have to find a motor in the 90 hp range. But the good thing - the floor is bare plywood and although weathered, it is firm and dry. The transom appears solid. No leaks - guaranteed. Decent trailer. BUT it isn't a Starcraft and I need to know whether this should make a difference or not. I am new to this Starcraft Cult . . .

Attachments

• IMAG0126.jpg
    IMAG0126.jpg
    148.4 KB · Views: 0
  • IMAG0127.jpg
    IMAG0127.jpg
    150.8 KB · Views: 0

Sunsetrider

Petty Officer 1st Class

Sunset, be real careful when your looking at old glassers, they can hide real nightmares when it comes to water damage.

Thanks for the reminder Glen. I got lucky with my Thundercraft, only has to replace a section of flooring, but the experience has taught me to approach the glass ones with fear and trembling. The horror of a rotten transom or wet foam has kept me from making a move in that direction. I am somewhat confident about evaluating flooring, but not so much when it comes to the transom area. I will be sure to bring an expert with me if I go to check out the glass boat.

cedarjunki

Chief Petty Officer

be real careful when your looking at old glassers, they can hide real nightmares when it comes to water damage.
Glen
thats no joke!!!! i tore up the deck on mine only to find the remnants of rotted wood for stringers...pretty much all that was there was the fiberglass encasements where the stringers used to be. only good thing was, there was no foam :)

that bluefin looks pretty nice... for what i gather its very close to a starcraft.

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

I'd own a Bluefin in a heartbeat. A member on here TriumphRick had one and she was a beauty.
It has been discussed before here that the BF boats and also Sylvans were possibly made by SC or that a SC designer went to the other company and brought his SC designs.

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Yah, that Blufin is a nice rig!

Main thing is you have to find just the right boat at just the right price. The $3.5K + range is turn key territory. The $1K - range is the total rebuild rebuild territory. The in between price points are usually good looking boats that need to be totally rebuilt and are essentially no better than the $1K - boats.

(surely a generalization here mind you)

Sunsetrider

Petty Officer 1st Class

Yah, that Blufin is a nice rig!

Main thing is you have to find just the right boat at just the right price. The $3.5K + range is turn key territory. The $1K - range is the total rebuild rebuild territory. The in between price points are usually good looking boats that need to be totally rebuilt and are essentially no better than the $1K - boats.

(surely a generalization here mind you)

I might be able to pick up that BF for a little over $1K and I'd have to be happy with the boat and trailer for that price. Thing is, I have the feeling that it will be cheaper to get a motor on a boat than buying one separately later. If I get the boat without the motor I guess I could budget $1K for a motor in the 90 hp range.

I wonder whether anyone has built an L-lounge passenger seat in these restos. I'll explore the restoration section in more depth.

phdfishhead

Seaman Apprentice

I'd own a Bluefin in a heartbeat. A member on here TriumphRick had one and she was a beauty.
It has been discussed before here that the BF boats and also Sylvans were possibly made by SC or that a SC designer went to the other company and brought his SC designs.

According to this article (http://boatingbusiness.ca/article/3441/Harold-Schrock-Passes), Sylvan was certainly owned by SC after 1975. However, Bluefin was not owned by SC. The owner of Bluefin lived on farm and raised registered Polled Hereford cattle in the vicinity of Elkhart, IN in the late 70's and 80's. My family knew them personally, and sold them cattle regularly. I was at the farm in the mid 80's. I'll try and track down more information for those interested.