1957 fd-11 johnson lower keeps leaking

stwaller

Cadet

I have a 1957 fd-11 18hp Johnson that my son and I are working on. We rebuilt the lower and everytime we put the skeg back on and fill it with oil it leaks out of one of the middle screws. I've drained the oil and took the skeg off and resealed it with more seal compound and get the same result. Anyone know why this keeps happening?​

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Any close-up pictures of the condition of the surfaces around that screw.-----4 pictures.----Any cracks.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Obviously it had water in it and froze.----Any pictures of the inside.-----I would say that housing is warped to a degree from welding.-----Or mating surfaces are damaged , resulting in the leak.----Easy fix for me here.

stwaller

Cadet
Obviously it had water in it and froze.----Any pictures of the inside.-----I would say that housing is warped to a degree from welding.-----Or mating surfaces are damaged , resulting in the leak.----Easy fix for me here.
What is your easy fix?

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Pressure test and see exactly where the leak is.---Then repair that leak with say ----" lumiweld" ---brazing rod.----Better yet is to replace that housing.

Crosbyman

Vice Admiral
if only one screw is leaking ....try easy stuff first... teflon tape on the threads and some sealant under the screw head Let the sealnt dry then pressure test
at 10psi with soappy water

jmho

stwaller

Cadet
if only one screw is leaking ....try easy stuff first... teflon tape on the threads and some sealant under the screw head Let the sealnt dry then pressure test

jmho
I will, thanks for all the help!

silverbul

Petty Officer 1st Class
I will, thanks for all the help!
Stupid question, why would you pressure test the lower unit when there usually is no pressure in the lower unit? just grease or 90 weight. blow out seals that are not leaking. jmo

silverbul

Petty Officer 1st Class

jmho
Doesn't the gasket go around all the screws? i believe this is a mating issue. jmo

racerone

Supreme Mariner
But , but a lower unit does have pressure when motor is running.-----And they do develop pressure if out in the hot sun !!

silverbul

Petty Officer 1st Class
Lower units on a outboard are just like a differential on a car, truck. They do NOT build up pressure, only leak through gaskets, seals. Prove me wrong.

tphoyt

Ensign
Diffs have vents do they not?
Any good mechanic would pressure test a LU for diagnostic purposes and to confirm a thorough reseal job. Jmo