1950's Wagemaker Wolverine wooden boat restoration ...

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
get your wallet out for rechroming Sam....mine is still smarting! But I do think it was worth it. Die cast pieces seem the be the most pricey.

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Yeah , I have quite a bit of stuff that needs rechroming .. Stuff for the MFG also .
I need to find a nice bow and nav light .. The WM never had one it seems ..

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
Eastwood also sells a DYI sprayer that you can put in on with. But you need an old oven to bake it in.....don't think the Admiral would be too happy to find boat parts baking in her kitchen :D

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
That’s a pretty cool alternative ! I think I will get a quote from a local shop first then go to plan B if nessessary....
Picked up the paint for the inside bottom of the hull yesterday and the paint for the Tee Nee ...
Was in a hurry and forgot the primer ...:facepalm:
Was slowed down today . Had an eye doctor appointment today . Eyes dialated and They want me to get tested for glaucoma. :wacko: .
Then after that I watched my Gators open up a can on the Wolverines ! :croc:
Then more sanding and fixed a couple plugs that were messed up ..
I,m running out of time gotta step things up .. If I don’t think I’m gunna make it I will probably take the MFG down to the show in March ...

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Great Game for the GATORS!!! A guy on Fiberglassics used that stuff on his Pitted Chrome Horns and they were amazing!!!!

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Wow ! That easy chrome looks very cool and if you don’t clear coat you can touch up really easy if it gets scratched ..
If it’s as easy as the video’s that is deffinataly an option ..

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Doing a few spot filling getting ready for final sanding on the sides . Filler is drying now .
I tell ya if I wasn’t dealing with the dark spots I think I would be done by now ... I’ve tried everything to think of but some are still coming back .. Its extremely aggravating!
Click image for larger version  Name:	9773A9C5-9B3A-4664-8BAD-CF35FE47AE47.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	657.5 KB ID:	10691968

A lot of spots on the bow also ... :mad:

mickyryan

Rear Admiral
have you tried swimming pool chlorine? you can also try dry chlorine and mix a paste and tape it to it i bet money it will remove the black

also white cap

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Used 2 part wood bleach , oxolic acid , White cap , and regular bleach , and too much sanding ...
Even tried to hide with filler with stain mixed in .. Im out of pool chlorine .
The spot in the pic will fade a bit with sanding but it will still be visible ..
once the varnish goes on that’s gunna be pretty much it .
Frustraiting would be an understatement....

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
Maybe some concentrated **** Sam? IDK Sam? Works on wounds from the old days.:confused: Horse or Tatanka of course.
But I do know you will get it gone!

zool

Captain
If the OA isnt working, i would probably try hydrogen peroxide, not the 3% you would need superoxol which is 30%......just take precautions if u do, it will burn your flesh :eek: :D

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
That would take a week or 2 to get online ..I wonder if a pharmacy would have it over the counter ...

zool

Captain
That would take a week or 2 to get online ..I wonder if a pharmacy would have it over the counter ...

the pharmacy might just have 3%, but a pool supply store may carry it in stock.....or you can distill your own from 3%....just google it if ur feeling like a chemist ;)

mickyryan

Rear Admiral
boil out the water?
anyways i would love to know if that is black algea because if it is that is the hardest algea to kill , and thats why i was saying granular pool chlorine because it is 65% avail chlorine and if you wet it and tape it to spot it will kill black algea and bleach just about anything . problem with household chlorine is its like 2 to 5 % and swimming pool liquid chlorine can have all kinds of metals in it . calcium hypo chloride is what im talking about in the lil 1 lb bag.

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
I don’t think I want to boil peroxide for 4 hours with a potential for it to blow up .. :eek:
I went ahead and got some ordered . Hopefully be here next week .. I may try the powder chlorine as Micky suggested ..
Thats just powdered shock right Mick ?
These spots have been THE toughest part of rehabbing this boat .. Other than all the sanding that is ..
I think I have hit the sanding block wall !! :twitch:

zool

Captain
Its the strongest of all the bleaching methods, so maybe it will help.....