18' Starcraft SuperSport restoration

Status
Not open for further replies.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner
Re: 18' Starcraft SuperSport restoration

I have a wonderful piece of diamond plate for the transom. Not putting in back on. Being stubborn about it. It serves no purpose in my opinion. I'm sure the outboard will mark up the boat but this ain't a 12' where I'm going to be taking the motor off and on. I left it off my Jupiter also and the transom didn't fall off :p

timfives

Petty Officer 1st Class

Dude your transom looks sweet. You gonna be out in that thing this weekend?? If not probably be floating on it by the time i get back from abroad...

T

CBGale2

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Yeah I dont think you can go wrong leaving it off. I highly doubt it has any structual importance. To me all its for is a little protection. I'll take that chunk of diamond plate from you too. :D

HopeSheFloats

Lieutenant Commander

I like that machined transom protector, got that cool factor going on...I need to do something else with mine since being the dummy I am, I drilled holes in it for the knee brace...duh, not required :redface:

She's really coming together very nicely EZ!

Huron Angler

Admiral

That's a nice looking splashwell, for some reason I really like how the blue stops and the transom is all white. A nice clean look to it.:cool:

Bring the diamond plate to tinstock as a door prize since everyone seems to like it.:D

I do think the exterior ply piece serves a purpose...to absorb some of the vibrations of the motor. Fiberglass boats don't transmit vibrations as much as tin. I do agree that if you will be leaving the OB bolted on permanently it's not as important.

I might use BobVT's advice and bolt on a piece of 1/2" rot-proof white plastic.

Triton II

Commander

I like that machined transom protector, got that cool factor going on...I need to do something else with mine since being the dummy I am, I drilled holes in it for the knee brace...duh, not required :redface:

She's really coming together very nicely EZ!

Nice work Ez... My aluminium boat has a piece of white cutting-board type plastic between the motor clamp and the transom... maybe an idea to help reduce vibration, scuffing etc. There's 5200 holding in place.

Transom_tonka.jpg

CBGale2

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Hmmmmm, wonder if the wife would notice a cutting board missing? :D

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Splashwell looks very sharp EZ!

I know a bunch of us are throwing crappy ideas at ya so here is mine...

My last OB had sort of rubber, or, super heavy duty foam ONLY under the motor mounts. You really couldn't even see that it was there unless you squatted down and looked. It might have been 1/4" thick or so. I think it probably helped with seating the motor and reducing some vibes. Just thinking...

Cheers Man!

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

I really need to get the motor mounted just so you guys will stop with the transom plate ideas :p It's already too late! The bolts that would have gone through a transom plate are already in and 5200'd. I eliminated the plate on the Jupiter and all was well. No noticeable extra vibration or anything.

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

OK, so how about this...

You take a pool noodle and then some gluvit and 5200 and....

Oh, wait...

Nevermind.

Man I had such a good idea too!

Cheers buddy!:D

jspano

Senior Chief Petty Officer

to transom plate or not!
well ez took care of that

It's already too late! The bolts that would have gone through a transom plate are already in and 5200'd.

nice job EZ i might steal your paint pattern/color but i don't think i can copy your results. looks great

SnowHunter

Petty Officer 1st Class

Dang EZ!! Ya got 'er tush all nice n purty lookin!!!! Can't wait to see 'er with the motor on!! :)

douglas1978

Petty Officer 2nd Class

well ez i hate white but on your boat it looks awsome. I just got done painting mine gray from white makes me want to accidently spill some stripper on the hull and have to paint it white

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Well the motor is on the boat. Darn near killed me but it's one. Had it one and tightened and then tried to connect the steering and there wasn't room enough to insert the steering tube. (The Jupiter didn't have that sloped splashwell so I didn't think to check). So I had to take it back off again and insert the tube and remount it. All this by myself crammed into that cubby of my garage where the motor was hanging. What a b!tch. Bad news, my steering cable is a foot too short. It still works fine but there isn't enough slack to tuck it up out of the away along the gunnel. So that's definitely a bummer. I measured how they tell you to measure and I really didn't want any extra as that can be also be a pain. I'm going to leave it for a while and eventually buy a new one and swap it out. Since the motor will have to be taken off again, I'm not too enthusiastic about that prospect. Could be worse. It could have been too short to work. No pics tonight because I am beat. I'll take some tomorrow as I tidy up the carnage in my garage. Little tip for everyone, don't get antsy and decide to install your motor the same night as you 5200 your motor bolts in place. You'll just get 5200 all over yourself and everything and with the bolts moving in and out you have no idea if you got a decent seal. I will probably back the nuts off and back the motor off a bit once the 5200 is dry and reseal to make sure.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

well ez i hate white but on your boat it looks awsome. I just got done painting mine gray from white makes me want to accidently spill some stripper on the hull and have to paint it white

Believe it or not the color is actually Easypoxy's "Mist Gray". I like it a lot.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Nah I wouldn't say it was a bust. The motor is hung and the steering is connected and working. Cable is a litte short but it won't keep me on shore. Tomorrow I hope to work on installing the controls.

SnowHunter

Petty Officer 1st Class

Nah I wouldn't say it was a bust. The motor is hung and the steering is connected and working. Cable is a litte short but it won't keep me on shore. Tomorrow I hope to work on installing the controls.

OH!!! Well, YAY for that!!! :D

Don't forget us pic heathens!! Gotta see that beauty with the motor on!!! ;)

Triton II

Commander

I will probably back the nuts off and back the motor off a bit once the 5200 is dry and reseal to make sure.

Good idea - I had to do this when I raised the motor on my old Quintrex one hole on the clamp plate - messy but worthwhile. Good luck...

TII

Status
Not open for further replies.