18' Starcraft SuperSport restoration

Status
Not open for further replies.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner
Re: 18' Starcraft SuperSport restoration

Nope. Was at the train show all day yesterday. I'll put some pics of my purchases in the Hijack forum. Was supposed to be in Pittsburgh this weekend but instead am home with a sick child. Either way, not much happening on the boat. Maybe this evening or tomorrow.

HopeSheFloats

Lieutenant Commander

Nice additions to your set-up, don't know how you can have two hobbies going on at the same time, since I've joined here, my guitar has grown a 4 inch layer of dust :redface:...Hope the lil guy's doing better in no time.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Son is feeling a little better. Hopefully better still tomorrow. Allergies big time.

I got the 2nd coat on the transom and splashwell tonight which is great because even that is way more than would have been accomplished if we'd made it out to the 'burgh. If my son is feeling better tomorrow I hope to hang the motor and start on the controls.

Don't everyone get too excited.....it must not be forgotten that my motor has issues and my trailer has bad bearings. These things will need to be dealt with before a launch is possible.

tgp***

Senior Chief Petty Officer

What did you use for your transom plate? Trying to find a inexpense way to put a new transom plate on. Plate aluminum is expensive, Would need to buy a whole sheet of 1/4 marine plywood. I don't really think exterior grade would cut it on the out side of the boat transom.

Thanks

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

I decided to put my money where my mouth is. I'm not using a transom plate (even though my boat came with a nice diamond plate one).

tallcanadian

Captain

I think you would be better if you didn't. I know years ago I use to use a piece of rubber between the motor and the transom. That was mainly not to leave marks in the transom from the clamps.

tgp***

What about that Marineboard they use for docking or sheet HDPE?

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

I just don't see the purpose of it. You don't see it on glass boats or on new aluminum ones.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Are you going to use a plate on the other side of the bolts where the nuts are? I think that transom plate is to save the transom in the event of failure...... so it does not tear the aluminum hull.

I have only seen them basically on tin boats.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Call me overkill but I have a metal shop near me and I was thinking of a piece of 1/8" stainless steel to cover the wood that is exposed in the splashwell about what 6" high and cut to angles to match the splashwell probably what 4' long

tgp***

Stainless is too pricey for me...Heck, I only paid $125 for the boat, trailer (that was too short), and motor (that didn't run). Call me cheap but I'll look for some scrap aluminum to put on the outside of the hull, I'll find a piece somewhere. Its mostly covered up by the motor anyway, unless I can find a free piece of 1/4 inch marine plywood 11" x 18" (like thats going to happen, but I'll ask around anyway). The inside can be done with large stainless fender washers (cheap) where the motor clamps down if I need to dress it up.

ts

Petty Officer 1st Class

I just don't see the purpose of it. You don't see it on glass boats or on new aluminum ones.

Aren't these older ones a thinner gauge aluminum than most of the newer ones?

Triton II

Commander

My wife just told me this morning:

- You need to get that boat done I'm ready to go boating
- I want to learn how to drive/handle the boat this year

:)

My wife says... "when are you going boating... I need a break!" :D

So Ez, in the name of domestic harmony you'd better get on with it and get her launched (the boat that is!!) :D

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Photo from the other night, transom painted:

DSCF2622.jpg

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Tonight got a little bit of work done (only 2 beers worth). I installed the transom cap, the end caps, cut off 2 long bolts that extended too far into the splashwell, and installed my new cable boot.

DSCF2623.jpg

DSCF2625.jpg

DSCF2624.jpg

I wanted to thread in the motor bolts and 5200 them in preparation for hanging the motor but I really think I want to buy one of these:http://www.dhcampingandfishingsupply.com/110200000.html first. If I get time tomorrow I'm going to install the cleats, and possibly play with the motor rigging.

CBGale2

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I like that boot, Ive got to do something with the three holes they have in my splashwell. It had those plastic grommet things on it, but those where shot.

CBGale2

Lieutenant Junior Grade

In regards to the transom plate, wouldnt the back of the boat get all marked up? I used a piece of 1/8" black ABS plastic I had laying around on my last boat. For the current project I cut a piece of thin ply and painted it with some stuff my buddy gave me from his work, going to use it on my floors also. Its an industrial grade poly...something or other. They are using it on some schools they are working on that have mechanical rooms on the upper levels, they coat the floor with this stuff and then put it up the wall a foot incase a pipe broke it wouldnt flood the lower levels. I tried some on a scrap piece of wood, after it dried I took a screw driver and jammed and scraped at the stuff and I could hardly get it to come off.

Status
Not open for further replies.