18' Starcraft SuperSport restoration

Status
Not open for further replies.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner
Re: 18' Starcraft SuperSport restoration

Got some good work done on the boat today. The helm is now installed and the bucket seats are bolted down.

First I screwed in the dash backer boards. I recessed the holes a little bit before I sunk the screws in so they would fit flush. I had a bunch of these white painted screws and I think they were from a screen door kit or something and I believe they won't rust. If I'm wrong, oh well. They'll be under the StarBoard panels. My dad cut these panels to shape and routed them out so they'd recess out a bit and be somewhat flush with the metal console.

DSCF2598.jpg

Helm installed:
DSCF2600.jpg

I decided to just use 5200 behind the StarBoard panels. I know it won't stick long term but they will be held in place by the helm, gauges and various accessories.
DSCF2601.jpg

My wheel is a LITTLE bit off center but not noticeably so when your sitting there. I didn't want to move the seats any further center
DSCF2599.jpg

Seats installed. They have sliding pedestals which is why they aren't aligned in this picture. The bases are aligned.
DSCF2604.jpg

The swivel isn't the greatest because with how reclined those seats are, there just isn't room for them to spin all the way around. However, there is enough room for them to almost face backward which could provide another place to sit and fish should the need arise. Works for me.
DSCF2603.jpg

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Next work is to paint the transom and splashwell. Then I can hang and rig the motor. We're gettin' close.

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Looking super sharp EZ, man you are getting close now buddy!

Huron Angler

Admiral

Looks good...those bolster seats are really nice:) They look real comfy.

Are you still considering the drop-in bow pedestal piece?

HopeSheFloats

Lieutenant Commander

Looking great EZ, you'll appreciate that little off set on the steering wheel when your standing between the consoles trying to see over the bow while maneuvering thru the shallows ;)

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Thanks guys. HA, the bow insert and the stern casting box are still planned. They are not, however, necessary for launch so we'll hold off on those for a bit.

fishrdan

Admiral

Hey EZ, it's looking good! If you hang a damp (damp not dripping) towel on the starboard and then cover it with a garbage bag, it will help cure the 5200. I either mist the parts with water or do the towel trick, depends on what the part is and if I can keep the towel off the 5200.

I think you will need to mechanically fasten the starboard, but see how it works. If you have a scrap of starboard, stick it to some plywood with 5200 and see how it bonds.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Dan you are correct. You do have to mechanically fasten it. I know the 5200 will fail. I'm just going to rely on all the stuff that's going to go through it (helm, gauges, switches on the drivers side and a flush mount tackle box on the passenger side) to hold it in place. But I figured it couldn't HURT to throw some 5200 under there.

ts

Petty Officer 1st Class

Looking good EZ. You're an inspiration for those of us WAYYYYYYY behind you. :)

fishrdan

Admiral

Ahh cool, I thought you were going to 5200 the starboard straight on the port console (sheesh isn't that a confusing statement), but the tackle center should have enough fasteners to keep it in place.

It's getting close huh?

BobsGlasstream

Commander

ezmobee,
The boat is really looking sharp. It is coming together nicely.
Great Job.
Bob

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

My wife just told me this morning:

- You need to get that boat done I'm ready to go boating
- I want to learn how to drive/handle the boat this year

:)

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Man has to love comments like that!!!! Congratulations!

HopeSheFloats

Lieutenant Commander

Do I smell 'His & Hers'....:D
Nice words to start the day!

bananaboater

Ensign

That is a good sign. When I told mine the Jet was "finished" she said when are we going out? Surprised me a bit.

Andy in NY

Commander

my wife was anxious for me to get ours done, but she has no interest in driving it...

Huron Angler

Admiral

Cool:) In case you ever want to have a few cold ones and enjoy your hard work relaxing out on the water...it's nice to have a capable first mate to take over the helm:D

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Got the splash well and transom painted tonight. Still have another coat to go.

The etching primer:
DSCF2605.jpg

DSCF2606.jpg

Paint:
DSCF2608.jpg

DSCF2607.jpg

Interesting things to note.....the etching primer dries almost immediately which is awesome. The Easypoxy, as if it doesn't already have fantastic coverage, covers even better over a light coating of the primer. Also tonight I actually had to do the "tip" part of roll & tip. I guess with the warmer weather (although it's still pretty cool) I had bubbles and they weren't laying down immediately like they did over the winter when I painted. However with a light stroke of the brush all was well and now I fully understand that application method. That's still some darn good paint.

SnowHunter

Petty Officer 1st Class

Lookin good EZ!!! :) Whatsa "tip" *shrug* runnin a brush over for the air bubbles and such? For leveling?

Status
Not open for further replies.