18' Starcraft Starchief OB Rebuild

64osby

Admiral
Re: 18' Starcraft Starchief OB Rebuild

You must not have a wood burner. Time to build a fire pit and have a few bonfires.

Sounds like you're being generous, you cut and he hauls it away, for free????

Gibbles

Commander

Making headway on her Chris. I know what you mean about insurance companies, we caught the edge of a tornado here and lost two trees in the front yard and had the north side of the house pummeled with golf ball size hail, still waiting to see how that comes out.

Ouch!
for the most part we are protected by the mountains, but we do get some canyon winds.
however.. we did get one twister touch down once... it landed on a gaybar destroying it, then hopped over the temple and landed on the arena. :lol:

You must not have a wood burner. Time to build a fire pit and have a few bonfires.

Sounds like you're being generous, you cut and he hauls it away, for free????

Yeah... I have a fire place but it's small... what I want is one of those cast iron deals in my basement, something I could actually heat my house with.
But I have so much wood in the backyard now... a good semi trailer worth.
Those trees look much bigger on the ground :facepalm:

And right now I'm going with the sell; I have a chainsaw that runs great, they come over, I hand it to them and tell them to go have fun.
Then let them know I'll be working on the boat, and don't take a leg off or cut a fruit tree down. :D

BigJoe843

Cadet

Love the project Gibbs! The whole reason I joined was to find a starcraft community and it seems I found a pretty good one. I picked up a 64 starchief a couple years back for a project and it had been on the back burner since. Finally decided it was time to get it going, did some research and found this thread. Awesome stuff man. Can't wait to see her done!

Gibbles

Commander

it's quite the project :facepalm: :laugh:

My project before this was the Jet, that seemed to go much smoother and quicker :)

I think my biggest pain was the fact I wanted to strip the paint, looking back I would not do that again... I would scuff, prime, and paint.

But it will all be worth it when the boat is done, i took extra time to ensure I did everything right, and hopefully not have to redo anything.

Last edited:

BigJoe843

Cadet

I hear ya. Im scared Im gunna have to strip mine all the way down. I need to do some repairs and dent work to the bottom of the bow and then gluvit the whole thing. Bottom is black anyhow and Im going to go with white I think. Any final decision on your paint sceme?

Gibbles

Commander

black bottom, topside is snow white, sides bare

Gibbles

Commander

Not much done on the boat the last few weeks due to dealing with the trees in the yard, but some friends of the family needed firewood, and him and a buddy have some prof chainsaws that needed breaking in. :lol:

anyways I got stood up this weekend, so I got a little work done, mostly with hardware and I got some cabin pannels coated in epoxy.

PreWindshieldForm_zpsd45b34c7.jpg

For the lower windshield, I have a piece of trim that needs to be bent up, this weekend if no further work happens on the trees I'll go get a mapp oxy torch and see about bending some trim. :D

Yeonik

Petty Officer 2nd Class

How did I miss this thread, Gibbles? That is such a cool looking boat! :D

Neighbors crack me up. Luckily my only neighbor is a pretty cool 'ol gal that is constantly out spraypainting stuff in the back anyways. She'll appreciate a well done paintjob on the boat.

barato2

Commander

Wow....just read about your neighbor drama. great example of why i like a big place with lots of buffer zone. and frequently take neighbors baked goods and fish.....

when you said you painted the cone thing near the prop, did you mean the one that fits between the prop and retaining nut? i wouldn't have known this if i hadn't asked Franz, but that's the anode. and with a bare aluminum hull......you may want to strip and polish it if we're talking the same part.

boat is looking beautiful, BTW. it will be one of those that come out looking better than they did when they rolled off the line in Goshen.

Gibbles

Commander

How did I miss this thread, Gibbles? That is such a cool looking boat! :D

Neighbors crack me up. Luckily my only neighbor is a pretty cool 'ol gal that is constantly out spraypainting stuff in the back anyways. She'll appreciate a well done paintjob on the boat.

Sounds like a nice 'ol lady, mostly I have not had any issues, but just something about this year.... :lol:

Wow....just read about your neighbor drama. great example of why i like a big place with lots of buffer zone. and frequently take neighbors baked goods and fish.....

when you said you painted the cone thing near the prop, did you mean the one that fits between the prop and retaining nut? i wouldn't have known this if i hadn't asked Franz, but that's the anode. and with a bare aluminum hull......you may want to strip and polish it if we're talking the same part.

boat is looking beautiful, BTW. it will be one of those that come out looking better than they did when they rolled off the line in Goshen.

and yeah that zinc thing is behind the prop, the cone is just a dress thing that makes the prop all aerodynamic or something. :laugh:

I had it all pretty but I ended up tripping over it... so I sanded it down, I'll make it pretty again later on...

And the admiral gave me a big fat negitive on the duece.5 :lol:

Right now I have the Jet on the front lawn, and the chief taking up most of the drive way, making it so my problem neighbor gets to see the beach in the backyard.

he is also one of those guys with a perfect yard... usually me too... 3 weeks and i have not pulled a weed or mowed.

I will wear him down muwhahaha!

maybe this weekend when he pulls his 2k riding mower out to mow the little strip of a front yard, I'll pull my $80 riding mower out and give him "whats up" looks... :D (yeah I'm having fun with this ;) )

when the boat is done I'll drop off some fresh fish as a peace offering

Last edited:

Gibbles

Commander

And I got a bow light from a member here, it was pitted pretty badly, so I decided the best thing to do was to smooth it out, and then paint.

BowLight_zps37ff093c.jpg

barato2

Commander

that came out beautifully....looks like you powder coated it. glad to hear you won't be having to un-do the nice paint work on your spinner! i was feeling bad about even mentioning it but figured you'd rather know sooner than later

Gibbles

Commander

Did it come w the 'seriously' look too?

Light looks great, nice work!

thanks, and yeah she had a pretty serious look on her face :lol:

I told her I will come home one day with a toy in camo, if she is lucky it will be a trailer, and if I'm lucky a hummer or something with a cannon... :laugh:

and on the light, I used a rattle can, the white color is close, but not perfect.

the pitting was real bad, so it took several coats of primer, sand, prime, sand, prime... then prime some more sand, then a final coat after I was sick of sanding, light sanding and painting.

The real test will be how it handles the sun, since I did not use the same paint I used on the top side I don't think it has much of a UV rating...

Gibbles

Commander

also if you can make out the spot behind the bow light... I have noidea what was mounted there...

I have another cleat that's real cool looking from the same member (pretty much the bow light was a freeby), I just need to decide if it's right for the spot. ;)

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Hey Gib - When you drag out the 80 buck mower don't forget the Seafoam. Since she an oldie a double dose can't hurt, Plus you get to do some skeeter control. Your neighbor will be appreciative, I know. :)

Good looking light. Those holes are there to drive you crazy trying to figure out what could have gone there. :laugh:

Gibbles

Commander

Hey Gib - When you drag out the 80 buck mower don't forget the Seafoam. Since she an oldie a double dose can't hurt, Plus you get to do some skeeter control. Your neighbor will be appreciative, I know. :)

Good looking light. Those holes are there to drive you crazy trying to figure out what could have gone there. :laugh:

maybe some 50/1 + 3 cans of seafoam :lol:

Base for a chrome trumpet horn(S)?

I was thinking that, but everyone I have ever seen had two bases, one main base, then a support for the tube... + not much room there

that is unless there was a horn on the nose instead of a bow light...