18' starcraft CC Rebuild - 1978

starcrazy

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: 18' starcraft CC Rebuild - 1978

Well guys, not much to report. Between attending several wakes, having a dog in for training, getting my own dog breed, and being in charge of a HRC hunt test, I have been pretty busy. So now with everything behind me, I have had a bit of time work on her. Currently just finished 1 st coat of resin on the transom. Going sand it down and give it one more coat before I install it. Sorry no pics, it's a transom with resin, lol.

Still debating on trailer, rollers or bunks, funds are getting low quick so, may stick with rollers for time being. New bunks / rollers or Etec, went with etec, lol. I will try to get those pics of the trailer this weekend and post them on Monday.

Other than that, happy mother's day to all you moms.

Enjoy your weekend.

Wayne

starcrazy

Petty Officer 3rd Class

UPDATE

Transom is now completed, well it has 2 coats of resin and 2 coats of primer, so it's ready to be installed. It has finally started to warm up around here and so I was able to apply the gluvit as well.

New transom hardware has been ordered and should be in over the weekend.

Next thing on my agenda is to re-intall the floor supports. All three need to istalled as well as the tray for stearing cable. Once the floor supports have been intalled, I will be laying out the new floor and sealing it accordingly. A the same time I will be finally intalling the NEW TRANSOM. :)

Once the transom is installed it will be time to flip her and get her ready for prime and paint.

Hoping to have this done over the coarse of the next week. Stay tuned for the next update and yes, some pictures. I am sure they are well over due.

Enjoy your weekend

Wayne

starcrazy

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Another update

Transom is 1/2 installed, and floor is cut out.

I say half installed because when I disembled the transom, I placed all the bolts in a zip lock bag, took them to the store and ordered all the new hardware accordingly. Only 1 problem, the 6 bolts that attach to the brace were too short for some reason. So I ordered new hardware to complete the instalation of the transom.

I have also intalled the 3 floor braces and the tray and cut out the new floor. Hoping to receive the new hardware by the weekend so I can complete the transom and get her flipped.

starcrazy

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Here are some pics of the latest work done on the boat

floor braces - all 3 braces and the tray for the cables with gluvit applied

http://i1165.photobucket.com/albums/q586/starcrazy1/DSCN7179.jpg

http://i1165.photobucket.com/albums/q586/starcrazy1/DSCN7180.jpg

New 5/8" plywood for floor laid out.

http://i1165.photobucket.com/albums/q586/starcrazy1/DSCN7188.jpg

http://i1165.photobucket.com/albums/q586/starcrazy1/DSCN7189.jpg

New Transom and old transom

http://i1165.photobucket.com/albums/q586/starcrazy1/DSCN7182.jpg

http://i1165.photobucket.com/albums/q586/starcrazy1/DSCN7185.jpg

http://i1165.photobucket.com/albums/q586/starcrazy1/DSCN7184.jpg

And last but not least, pic of new transom in place. Although at this point I just need to add the transom drains.

http://i1165.photobucket.com/albums/q586/starcrazy1/DSCN7186.jpg

Thanks for looking

Wayne

gardug0213

Cadet

Great job so far. Thanks for documenting your progress. I always like to incorporate other peoples good ideas!

starcrazy

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Finally More updates for those of you still following:

Well she is painted...

Primer

Primed.jpg

Painted

dried_paint.jpg

Fresh_paint.jpg

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

That last pic was hard to look at so I rotated it for you:
Fresh_paint_zps8de4a568.jpg

Paint looks great!... now it's time to start building!

starcrazy

Petty Officer 3rd Class

In order to appreciate the next set of pictures, please overlook these next two pics. These will have to do until Monday. I do have better pictures, these were just taken with my phone prior to the big event....

Boat back on the trailer

Boat_2_zpsd7965faf.jpg

Boat_1_zps686352d2.jpg

Boat_Stern_zps0d2abf81.jpg

You are all going to like the next update....

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Is the Green Primer Self Etching? If so, That's quite a bit more than a light coat. I really does not take much of that stuff. What paint products did you use?? Spray or Roll n' Tip?

starcrazy

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Wood

I used zinc chromate on the bare metal for a light coat, then the primer I used was Pettit - Alumaprotect. Aluminum Epoxy Primer 4400It's actually the yellow paint It's a two part primer

The paint is the green, or dull green.

Pettit Shipendec Alkyd Enamel Topside Paint, Dull Dead Grass.

Method was spraying

Stick around you are going to like the next couple of pics I am about to add...

Starcrazy

starcrazy

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Dropped Boat off last week to repower her.

Again, pics were with my phone at 11 pm, so bare with me until next week.

Here is a sneek peak....

Motor_2_zpsdb76e0e9.jpg

Motor_1_zps9df2ce5e.jpg

SHE IS ON:)

I will pick it up on the weekend from the dealership. The dealership wanted to install the motor for insurance purposes.

So please keep in mine the following: the cables, throttle cable, and wiring harness are just laying there.

I still have some other work to do inside the boat before it can all be finallized, but it is progress.

With any luck I will have the floor installed over the holidays or first thing in the new year.

I will also update the pictures at some point next week.

Stay posted

Starcrazy

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

With any luck I will have the floor installed over the holidays or first thing in the new year.

I will also update the pictures at some point next week.

Stay posted

Starcrazy

What kind of decking do you plan to use? What do you plan to seal it with?

Will you be installing floatation foam?

What kind of finish for the deck? Carpet, vinyl, or paintable product?

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Wood

I used zinc chromate on the bare metal for a light coat, then the primer I used was Pettit - Alumaprotect. Aluminum Epoxy Primer 4400It's actually the yellow paint It's a two part primer

The paint is the green, or dull green.

Pettit Shipendec Alkyd Enamel Topside Paint, Dull Dead Grass.

Method was spraying

Stick around you are going to like the next couple of pics I am about to add...

Starcrazy
Well Alrighty Then!!! Looks like and excellent Paint Job!!! Should yield some Fun Times!!!

starcrazy

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Decking is 3/4 plywood, sealed with epoxy. It' is all done, just need to install it.

As for Floatation, I will be spraying in closed foam insulation. The dealer said that the pink stuff won't help support the extra stress that the motor will put on the boat. Previous motor was a 1978, 80 hp Mercury. She is now powered by a 2012, 115 Etec. So I will be making the call to have it installed very shortly.

The finish on the deck. I was hoping to lay out some Nautolex Marine Vinyl Flooring. Thought about cheaping out for simple paint, but figured I would only have it apart once, so might as well do it right the first time. I never really put much thought into the carpet to be honest. Just heard so many great things about the Nautolex, so I thought it was the best way to go. I will purchase it when I am ready to install it. Any thoughts?

This boat has a dual purpose, duck hunting on Lake St. Clair and fishing in Lake Erie. The rails will be painted flat black once it is all said and done.

I have also purchased a custom aluminum gas tank (20 gallons) which will be installed within the center console. Although I will lose some storage space, I figured I will need the fuel capacity with the size of the motor as well as some counter weight moved to the center of the boat.

Again, more pics hopefully next week. Getting closer to completion. :happy:

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Well, I'm not a pro, Never owned a "Tinner" but.. I fail to see how 10-12" of Poured in foam that attaches itself to the bottom of your transom would provide that much more support for your larger motor. But hey, everybody knows, I'm just an...
OldDumbOkie.jpg
SOOOOO... Somebody please come along and edjamakate me on the facts here!!!!!!:indecisiveness:

starcrazy

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Wood

10" or 12", it's only a 18' boat. I only have 7" of play from the center of the boat to the floor.

Basically he said that the pink stuff will A) make to much noise, and B) not add any structural intergrity to the boat.

Apparently the foam will be harder than the pink insulation and help keep the rivets in place. The motor will obviously make the boat go a bit faster than the original, adding more stress to the structure of the boat itself as well as the rivets. I don't know either to be honest. I just made the arrangements to have it sprayed in rather than poured in. I was relatively upset with the guy when he originally told me because I already purchased over half of the pink stuff already. And he knew exactly what I was doing, and didn't say anything until recently.

So one never really knows...

Starcrazy

64osby

Admiral

I agree with WG. Foam will not add any structural strength for the transom.

If you think you are over powered and want to help with added forces I would suggest adding 2 more knee braces.

The foam will help with noise, flotation and help support the floor, but not the transom strength.