18' starcraft CC Rebuild - 1978

bob johnson

Rear Admiral
Re: 18' starcraft CC Rebuild - 1978

I would get under that hull and tap sideways on each rivet... I am redoing rivets now on my hull. I did about 25 so far and have about another 25 to do....while under the hull looking at grinding the paint away from all the holes before i re revit them, I see the heads of some rivets just hanging....and some head are missing...but from the inside the rivet looks fine. I tapped on a all the rivets and a few just flaked right off!!!!!!!!!!!

might as well do all you need while you are there..

I am at the same spot you are...our boats look the same now... I cant believe all the holes guys have put in the transom over the years. i found dowels filling older bolt patterns. I am thinking of just welding a sheet of aluminum over the whole area of misc holes( about a 2'x2' area) instead of trying to weld all the odd balls closed.

bob

starcrazy

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Nothing much to report, although I was able to pick up some gluvit some zinc chromate and some sheets of rigid insulation. The pink stuff that everybody has recomended.

Which brings me to this. I am canadian and most of the starcraft people here are american. But here is the thing, I am fortunate enough to live close enough to the border that I can cross whenever I wish. I priced the insulation here in Canada, sheets are the same price as the U.S. but here is the catch. The sheet in Canada is 2x8 where as the sheet in the U.S. is 4x8. So basically half the price for the same about. Definitely worth the trip across.

So in the end, I picked up 3 sheets of 1" and 2 of the 1.5". Not sure exactly how many sheets I will need, but it's a start for now. I will have to do a search on the other Mariner's and see how much they have used.

I was unable to do another leak test to see if I was able to fix the new rivets, hopefully one night this week that will be completed.

In the mean time, I am making my wish list.

Bob

Thanks for the advice, I will definetly look into this.

Wayne

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Smuggling insulation over the boarder, excellent:D

starcrazy

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Update

Well we have some good news. All the rivets that I have replaced have been replaced with success. Took her out for a water test last night and left her in for about 10 min. NO LEAKS:)

So now I can finish cleaning up the stern area and get it ready to apply the gluvit. Also the marine grade plywood I ordered for the transom will be in on Friday. I think that I will pick up the material for the floor at some point on the weekend as well.

I know how you all love pics, so here are a couple of the water test. I thought I would add one of the helper as well, lol.

http://i1165.photobucket.com/albums/q586/starcrazy1/DSCN7099.jpg

http://i1165.photobucket.com/albums/q586/starcrazy1/DSCN7097.jpg

Here is my helper, dressed to the nine's:D Thanks H...

http://i1165.photobucket.com/albums/q586/starcrazy1/DSCN7095.jpg

With any luck I will have something completed by Monday.

Wayne

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Wayne, you have a great hull to work with there, nice:)

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

Not sure exactly how many sheets I will need, but it's a start for now. Wayne

Put as much as you can in, and everywhere you can. You can never have too much floatation foam.

starcrazy

Petty Officer 3rd Class

update

Well I made a bit of progress.

Over the coarse of the week, I was able to sell off the two motors that came with the boat. Since they were of no use to me, I placed them on our local board and within days, both motors are sold and are gone now. This not only lowered the price of my initial investment, but this will also give me some cash to purchase any new parts that I need for the rebuild.

I was able to clean the hull out one more time and get most of the grim out. Especially in the stern area, there seemed to be alot of oil debris there. Anyway I cleaned a bunch of it out. Unfortunately I am not sure just exactly how good is good enough or acceptable prior to applying the gluvit. Forgot to take some pics, but will have some by tomorrow. Hopefully someone will be able to tell me if it clean enough to apply the gluvit.

Talk to you tomorrow.

starcrazy

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I was able to glue the transom together last night, should be ready for dry test by the weekend. I know everyone loves pictures, but pretty sure everyone seen enough wood glued together.

More to come I am sure.

Wayne

sprintst

Commander

Nice solid hull and a great platform to work from. The Etec is the way to go. That boat wil be a rocket sled with that thing on it.

I like the mix of the old and new...best of both worlds

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

I was able to clean the hull out one more time and get most of the grim out. Especially in the stern area, there seemed to be alot of oil debris there. Anyway I cleaned a bunch of it out. Unfortunately I am not sure just exactly how good is good enough or acceptable prior to applying the gluvit. Forgot to take some pics, but will have some by tomorrow. Hopefully someone will be able to tell me if it clean enough to apply the gluvit.

Talk to you tomorrow.

Clean your seams and rivets with laquer thinner as per the Gluvit instructions.

starcrazy

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Here is the latest everyone.

Transom has been glued, and sanded, it is ready for the initial dry fit. That should happen within the next day or two. With any luck I will be able to drill out the holes and start appling the resin to seal it.

On the weekend, I picked up the vhf radio, some 5200, and another can of gluvit. While I was at the store I was able to order the paint and primer. Although the primer won't be in for another week or so, it will give me some time to complete the transom prior to flipping her over.

Question?

This brings me to my next issue. The FLOOR. What do you guys recomend for the floor thickness. Original floor was 1/2" lasted or should I say, it stayed in for 34 years, lol Mine you I think it was marine grade back than, and I will be just using good one side plywood and applying some resin to seal it.

So should I use 1/2", 5/8" pretty sure that 3/4" is overkill.

thanks

Wayne

sprintst

Commander

I did 3/4 and it did add some weight alright. If I were to do it again then 5/8 as my old 1/2 had some flex even though it was not rotten.

dozerII

Admiral

I agree with Sprint, 5/8 is the way to go, 1/2 in lasted but is very flexable under foot the 5/8 takes all that flex out.
Glen

starcrazy

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks everyone, 5/8 is will be. Now on to next question if you will.

New transom is in place. I had to sand it a bit, but overall, pretty happy with the results. So this brings me to my next question?

http://i1165.photobucket.com/albums/q586/starcrazy1/DSCN7110.jpg

http://i1165.photobucket.com/albums/q586/starcrazy1/DSCN7111.jpg

I have attached a couple of pics of the new transom sitting in it's new home. So here is my question. How much do I need to leave to put on say 2 coats of resin? As you can tell by the couple of pictures, it's pretty much right even witht the aluminum as it sits.

Should I sand some extra off to make room for the resin, or simply ignore this and apply the resin and it will fit irriguardless.

Thanks in advance. Please see attached photo's.

Wayne

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Apply the resin and don't worry about it.

starcrazy

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks ez, going to purchase the resin today.

I plan on giving it two coats of resin, coat of primer and paint.

Floor layout is next on the agenda.

Wayne

starcrazy

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Sorry, nothing really new to report on.

Although I did manage to remove all the screws that were in the base of the stern (17 to be exact) and replace them with solid rivets. The PO must have removed and replaced the tranducer or several other thing several times over the live of the boat. He was so nice to even use metal screws. Although none of them leaked on my previous water test, I just though now would be a good time to replace them with solid rivets while the stern was totally exposed. When it's all said and done I plan on adding one simple transom board to adhere my tranducer. Hoping to do a water test at some point this weekend to make sure they are in properly. If they are all sealed, I will wait a couple of days to see if it warms up, if not I will simply add a heater to the garage for a couple days so I can apply the gluvit.

Once the gluvit is applied I can insert the floor braces again and start on cutting out the floor. I was hoping to have the floor cut out and ready to be sealed prior to flipping her over.

At this point I am still waiting for the primer to come in and a sheet of 1/2" marine grade I need for the transom. This piece is the one located on the outside of the stern.

Also still up in the air to covert the trailer from rollers to bunks. Both have plus and minuses.... What are your thoughts?

In the mean time, thanks for looking and you thoughts.

Wayne

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

I like bunks.

I'm also a proponent of eliminating that outside transom piece. It serves no purpose. New boats and fiberglass boat don't have it. I omitted it from both my restores. From what I've seen, even if you seal it well, the forces from the motor compress it in the middle which expands out the edges allowing water to penetrate. It's just something else to eventually rot and leak. So omit it or at least go with something other than wood.

64osby

Admiral

Also still up in the air to covert the trailer from rollers to bunks. Both have plus and minuses.... What are your thoughts? Wayne

Love the work your doing, looking great.

Our 21' Mariner is on a roller, 32 rollers on a Shoreliner. It's a '73 and always been trailered, no leak issues. I like the roller trailer, easier launches in shallow water, I just need to make some guides for it.

Didn't take a close look at your pics to view the trailer, how many rollers? Would adding more rollers help the cause? Might be a quick clean solution to the issue.

I'll be watching, getting ideas for if ....... when I rebuild mine.

starcrazy

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I will take a couple more pics of the trailer this week and post them. Off the top of my head I want to say that there is 4 sets of rollers and each set has a total of 4 rollers for a total of 16 rollers. One set directly at the back of the trailer on each side and the other set is 2/3 up.

Not exactly sure if more rollers would help or not, considering most of the rivets that I have replaced were in the mid section of the boat. I am guessing once I put all my decoys in the boat that most of the wait will be in the same spot and I am trying to prevent the rivets from comming out again. Once I have some extra time I will have to take a look at it again.

Again, I will take some more elaborate pictures at some point this week. This week is going to be pretty busy since I am playing in a work hockey tournament and I have taken on a side job of training someone else's dog for the up coming hunting season. I needed to find a way to help pay for the etec.

Check in later in the week to see the pics.

Thanks again for all your comments.

Wayne