16' Nescher ski boat complete restore- SPLASHED!!

micks110

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: 16' Nescher ski boat complete restore

Nice Video arch. You're gonna have fun glassing those seats:D

BobsGlasstream

Commander

Hey arch,
It looks like it's really coming along. I'd put some kind of trim under that gunwale to protect your hand, I can see a pinch point in your future. :p
I really don't want to see anymore snow, all we got was rain.
Take care my friend.
Bob

kcatto

Seaman

where did you get the switch trim you were talking about??? they sound pretty cool????

looking good...

when you radius the corners are you going to use some bender board??? that is what they use to make concrete forms bends easily and they are really strong and they are smooth??

keven

SKIBUM1M

Chief Petty Officer

Arch, My radio is in front of the passenger in the dash. Looks like you could put the radio and xm to the left of the guages. Looking real good. The seats look low but I guess you have to deal with that when you have such a stramlined looking boat.

Friscoboater

Captain

Ok, this is coming from a guy that is 6'3". Is that not a little too close to the wheel? It is hard to tell from the pictures.

mrlassi1

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Arch,

As to the radio's location and your lack of space. Now that everything has gone digital consider using tuner and amp you can mount under the front deck leaving only the small remote to mount on the dash.

What about the shift and throttle cable access through the side of the seat? Those cables are stiff and will need almost a straight shot back for at least 18". An eliptical hole in the side support could be upholstered in a manner that would make it look clean. But I'm sure you've thought of that!

The first day of spring here in Atlanta was cold and rainy.

-Mike

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

Thanks for all the thoughts guys. The wheel is pretty close, but I'm planning on having a couple people set in it to get feed back. Also I will be the one driving about 95% of the time....I'm 5'-10 and it feels about right. The switches and trim are from sea dog, very nice products. My friend David used some trim around the bottom of the cockpit, its a u shaped vinyl that turned out real nice. I'm going to see if they make it in black. The shifter cables are pretty stiff, so I was pondering an elliptical hole covered with a half round pipe.....probably some pvc....then have it covered with upholstery....need to mock that up to see if its really going to work. The seats are a little low, but the gunnels are only 20" high!

kcatto

Seaman

after seeing your boat I want to make my old fishing boat a lot better than the original plan.....

it is looking great.... the PVC cut length wise to cover the cables is trick..... I think it will look great....

BobsGlasstream

Commander

Hey arch,
It's looking pretty sweet.
You could use a pocket hole jig to cut the elliptical holes. They cut pretty smooth holes.
Looking good, keep the pic's and video coming.
Bob

fat fanny

Lieutenant Commander

Arch for your radio and such you could also add a small consol on the bottom middle of the dash to accomodate the other electronics I'm sure with your fab skills it would look great.

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

Hey guys thanks for the idea. I'm working on the seat mock up again and the gauge layout. (never made it back to the shop yesterday afternoon....nap sounded better :D) I've put a curved back on the seat mock up, I'll post a pic later and you guys can tell me what you think. I had a guy from the office who is "rounder" than me sit in the seat today, no problems for him. I'm going to get David K's thoughts on it tomorrow (he should fit fine, he's short)....but I thought it would be a good idea to get another set of fresh eyes on it. right now I'm working on the gauge lay out....want to get some actual accurate measurements and get ready to cut the holes.

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

Here are my pics from tonight. I added the little arch to the top of the seats....just imagine the plywood being cut that shape....also remember that there will be 2" of foam on each side and the inside corners will be rounded. What do you guys think? Flat or the radius on the top?

IMG_3149.jpg

Frisco here is a shot of the seat / steering / control relationship with a great looking model for scale! :D

IMG_3151.jpg

Here is a shot of the gauge layout....I was laying it out by hand and got to thinking why not do it in autocad, print it to scale and tape it on? duh!

IMG_3153.jpg

A couple other things for you guys to give me input on.

1. Polished stainless rub rail or alum? I have to uses a very narrow ruberless one to get it to fit around the bow.

2. I got to thinking about how I use the radio in the Sea Ray....more or less I turn it on and it just becomes a volume control. I have a separate control for the xm.....so why not put the radio up under the dash....accessible, but not handy (in the way) then just run it with a remote? I haven't really looked at those, but I know they make them. Anyone have any experience with them? That way I can mount the xm where it is easy to get to. Might make things a little cleaner looking too.

3. Where to put the fuse block? I originally planned on putting it under the dash, but getting to it might be fun once the seats are in. I figure it needs to be some place up high.

4. Storage in the side panels of the seats? There is a lot of space behind them in the gunnels. I was wondering if someone make some little storage boxes that could be mounted in a hole in the side panels?

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts. Hopefully tomorrow night I can finalize the seat and get the gauge holes cut out.

BobsGlasstream

Commander

Hey arch,
I think the rounded tops on the seats would be a nice touch.
As for the fuse block, One idea, I was thinking about was they are always a pain to get to. What if you built a hinged base that went under the dash but you could pivot out to see it while sitting in your seat.
Looking at the model in your seat it looks about right.
Looks good my friend.
Bob

kcatto

Seaman

The arch looks good I would keep it....

I will look real quick but there is a really trick mounting bracket for the radio that allows it to move vertically up and down, I have seen it on a few hot rods.... so you can push it up under the dash when you do not want to see it and it lowers down when you want it.... that would keep it totally clean... and still use it with the remote...

All of that extra space behind the seats could be used as a speaker box.... mount you speakers and use the dead air space with a vent to get some great sounds... without having the bulk of speaker boxes.... just a few ideas since you are fabing from scratch anything is possible right now...

keven

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

Mountain_Man

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Looks just about right. Could you recess a fuse block under the gunwhale just in front of the controls? that way you could see it, but it wouldn't be totally buried. Just make sure to put it back far enough not to hit your pinkie!

Like the pics, I bet you even got a varoom varoom going!:D

ddrieck

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Arch,
Just a thought on the limited amount of room you have for your controls.

You could go with a foot throttle and a small forward/reverse control. I have seen the small forward/reverse controls on tricked out bass boats. They stick out from the side about 1'' and the handle is only about 4'' - 6'' tall and don't have the bulky box. However, you would need to mount your ignition switch in the dash and figure out something for the choke.

I can help you out with the foot throttle but I don't know where to get the smaller forward/revers control that I mention.

There is also an adjustable plate that the foot throttle mounts to in case someone with shorter legs operates the boat.

Also, by using the foot throttle you can bypass the neutral safety switch to be able to start in forward. This puts less wear and tear on the lower unit. Since the throttle would be at rest(idle) there isn't a chance of the boat lurching dangerously forward. A lot of the go fast bass boat guys have done this with amazing results and I plan on doing this on my current project boat.

Hot Foot Throttle:
339697806_o.gif

Adjustable Mounting plate:
339702483_o.gif

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

Hey guys thanks for the ideas. Since I already have the control, and it is brand new.....think I'm going to stick with it. I still can't believe I found one that had been setting on a shelf for 20 years in a box! Micks fiberglass comment made me think of a question. Have you guys seen system 3's low viscosity epoxy? One of my friends rebuilds steam power cars (his shop makes mine look like a joke....yes everyone needs a drill press that ways 35,000 pounds and a horizontal boring machine to make axle housings!) Anyhow he coats the wood bodies with it to waterproof them. I was thinking about doing the same thing to the seat frames. Any thoughts? The stuff takes forever to dry, and really soaks in the wood. I have used it to make some wood flower vases for cut flowers. Worked great for that.

kcatto

Seaman

please arch..... more information about the system 3 wood epoxy???

I have been thinking about using copper green wood protector.... We use that in re-building piper cubs and such.... not epoxy but the copper oxidation fills the voids on the wood.... I first found about it because I was working contract for the Navy and it is used in a lot of their wood to keep, the salt water at bay in their wooden boats....

I think your boat is looking great Arch....

I had no luck on finding that drop down bracket for the radio but it could be fabed real easy...

keven

Friscoboater

Captain

That looks perfect Arc.