16' Nescher ski boat complete restore- SPLASHED!!

osborn159

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 16' Nescher ski boat complete restore

i like it with the arch on the seatback, not sure about seat placement, never had a "real" go fast boat. it does look workable tho.
nice job on the mockups, good luck, D

wa_ssv197

Petty Officer 1st Class

I was wondering how long it would take you to use AutoCAD! I use it for all my layouts for projects.

I like the arched top as well, but maybe make the top curve blend into the side smoother. Even it that means the seat has a little more curve to it. It may lay just below your shoulder.

mrdjflores

Lieutenant Junior Grade

oh AutoCAD....i miss those days.....

Caravandaddy

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Definitely go with the arched seatbacks. I think it's kind of poetic (or is that ironic); arched seats by archbuilder.:D

BobsGlasstream

Commander

Hey arch,
I'm not familiar with that epoxy. Could use some more information on it or let me know if you use it and how it holds up.
Bob

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

Tonight I modified my side panel based on some thoughts from David K. He recommended sliding the seat back and recessing the controls to give more room between the center line of the steering and the controls. I had toyed with this idea, and ran with it tonight. I think it solves a couple of problems, cable routing and creating a little more room between the drivers hip and the controls.

IMG_3154.jpg

Also with the pocket, the control cables can go directly through a hole in the back side of the pocket and into the gunnel. I have a video that explains it a bit better that I'll post next.

IMG_3155.jpg

I plan on mirroring the change to the side panel on the back. That will allow better storage for skis in the gunnels....hopefully tomorrow or the next day I can make it to the upholsters to get some feedback and quotes.

BobsGlasstream

Commander

Hey arch,
Looks good, I knew you would come up with a workable plan.
Bob

Friscoboater

Captain

I like that alot better. Are you noticing it taking alot of time for youtube to process the videos?

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

yeah its taking 20 or 30 miniutes to upload it...:mad: should be posted in a bit....

BobsGlasstream

Commander

Arch,
Nice video.
Have you tried to get the skis in that area to make sure they will fit?
You could build a compartment under the bow to put skis in like a rack. I think that would be pretty cool and keep them out of the way. Just side straight in.
Just another thought.
Bob

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

I took the seat frame by the upholster today, he's supposed to get back with me on the cost. The plan is to work on building the final frames this weekend...drilling for the gauges and switches.....then I should be ready for paint on the top. Hopefully I can get paint on in about another week or so. Getting close! Then its work out the details and bolt it together! :D:D

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

Here is a shot of the seat today, I tweaked the control recessed panel some and cut out the side panel of the back seat. I now have some opportunities for some "water resistant" storage adjacent to the seats. I need some kind of small hinged doors for that. I figure this would be a good place for cell phones and wallets...that kind of stuff. The only thing I can think of are the stereo covers, but they are a little bit small. I have 6" to work with in the back seats. Anyone have any suggestions?

IMG_0124.jpg

You can see a lot more in the video.....now that spacial relationships are starting to be important, it seems easier to get it across in the video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yVZzISDni4U

fat fanny

Lieutenant Commander

Arch for the compartments maybe try to get some glove compartment boxes and lids form a junk yard (complete) and fab them in? and for the skis in the front compartment some simple gun racks may work it would alkso keep them off the deck and hang them neatly ?

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

Thanks for the thoughts Fat Fanny. I looked at the boat glove boxes, but they were too big (and pretty ugly), I hadn't thought about going to the salvage. Gun rack is an interesting idea too....I will do some digging around next week to see what I can come up with.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

greatlakesskipper.com has TONS of hatches from OEM boat manufacturers. Some interesting ones too that you won't find at regular retailers.

BobsGlasstream

Commander

Hey arch,
Once again nice Video. That was a great idea on angling the recess for the throttle control. Might keep you from swearing at it in the future.
I really like that fuse panel you have too. Could I ask where you got it?
It's looking good.
Bob

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

Here is today's progress.... I have to admit it seems like the seats are going in slow motion! I did spend several hours rounding up parts, and helping a few freinds....so it was 3 or so before I got started. I did get the drivers side seat built....only screwed up one thing, which I think the foam will hide. I forgot the inside seat frame overlaps the seat backs...and I radiused the seat backs. This is marine plywood, so I'm not to excited about changing it if some foam will fix it. This pic shows cardboard on the curve, but I'm going to use a heavy gauge PVC for the final product.

IMG_0134.jpg

The seat did fit like a glove in the boat.

IMG_0131.jpg

Here is the detail at the gunnel, the gap on the seat back will be made up with foam.

IMG_0136.jpg

One of the arched back.

IMG_0133.jpg

And the sheet layout...always a jigsaw puzzel!

IMG_0130.jpg

I'm not happy with the corners of the base, so I'll work on those tomorrow. I had planned on runner a round over bit over them, but I think the raidius will be too small.

IMG_0137.jpg

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

I'm sure this will really surprise you guys that have been reading my thread for a while....but I redid the seat backs this morning. Actually I took one of the old templates for a seat bottom, which was bigger, then laid out / cut out a new back. It looked a lot cleaner, and after doing a sheet layout, I figured out I have enough plywood to redo them. (assuming I don't screw anything else up!) I have everything laid out and ready to cut after lunch....but first I have to get the sprayer and tractor ready to nuke the weeds in the yard tomorrow.....the bad part about spring is it interferes with the boat! But I do love the warm weather. I'll post some pics of the finished (hopefully) seat frames later.