Maybe my turn for new boat time

alldodge

Staff member
If you get in a bind i can speak very highly of the yam on my brothers boat. Very impressive engine and has been completely trouble free, and this coming from a die hard Mercruiser sterndrive guy…
Thanks and I've heard good things about Yam, but two issues keeps me away. I work on my own stuff so I want to be able to ask a question and find folks that can discuss issues, and parts can be found

Even hear on Iboats there are not many that discuss in the Yam section and no one around here (even dealer) works on Yams

Scott06

Vice Admiral
Thanks and I've heard good things about Yam, but two issues keeps me away. I work on my own stuff so I want to be able to ask a question and find folks that can discuss issues, and parts can be found

Even hear on Iboats there are not many that discuss in the Yam section and no one around here (even dealer) works on Yams
Same here. Not a sales pitch just my observations …I can say the factory manual for my brothers engine is great and comparable with mercs. Never needed any major parts but seem relatively available.
i bought Candoo software and cables ($400) for my seadoo, so i could reset, the TPS… same software with correct cables can do any of the other marine/ atv/ snow ECUs …

be interested to see how you make out. I love the stern drive for the swim platform and sun pad but the newer merc stuff isnt GM based any more…

alldodge

Staff member
I thought about I/O but I'm really getting tired of winterization. Do like my 27PC's motor and hearing all that power until it gets pulled for the winter, then its , oh no here we go again
polar_face.jpg

Scott06

Vice Admiral
I thought about I/O but I'm really getting tired of winterization. Do like my 27PC's motor and hearing all that power until it gets pulled for the winter, then its , oh no here we go again
View attachment 374851
i think the winterization ‘savings’ of OBs vs sterndrive is over blown. Still have to do gear lube, still have to do oil. Yes self draining and the oil is a hell of a lot easier… my boat the 5 drain plugs are relatively easy to get at But still wouldnt trade the stern of the boat where we hang out for a couple hours a year…

in the fall i do my 21 ft searay 5.0/alpha, my brothers twinvee CC/ yamaha , and my fathers seadoo… yes i spend less time on the yammie but it is not enough time to make me not love the wide open swim platform and sunpad on my Sea Ray. Comes down to how you use your boat.

these are smaller boats with better access than you are looking at but if you look under the cowl of a modern 4 stroke you have ten lbs of X in a five lbs box… so i think it is really toss a up. Is there a timing belt change like on the yammie My brother has?

• Angry
Reactions: KXP

alldodge

Staff member
i think the winterization ‘savings’ of OBs vs sterndrive is over blown. Still have to do gear lube, still have to do oil. Yes self draining and the oil is a hell of a lot easier… my boat the 5 drain plugs are relatively easy to get at But still wouldnt trade the stern of the boat where we hang out for a couple hours a year…

in the fall i do my 21 ft searay 5.0/alpha, my brothers twinvee CC/ yamaha , and my fathers seadoo… yes i spend less time on the yammie but it is not enough time to make me not love the wide open swim platform and sunpad on my Sea Ray. Comes down to how you use your boat.

these are smaller boats with better access than you are looking at but if you look under the cowl of a modern 4 stroke you have ten lbs of X in a five lbs box… so i think it is really toss a up. Is there a timing belt change like on the yammie My brother has?
I just bought last season a Yardarm jack ($1K) so I could get the drive on/off without damaging to me or the drive. The year before man handling the B3 (without props) back on I chipped off a piece of the skage.

Need to replace the impeller for next season, so I need to hang upside down to get the pump off so I can replace.

This 65+ guys just doesn't want to do it anymore

MRS

Commander
I just bought last season a Yardarm jack ($1K) so I could get the drive on/off without damaging to me or the drive. The year before man handling the B3 (without props) back on I chipped off a piece of the skage.

Need to replace the impeller for next season, so I need to hang upside down to get the pump off so I can replace.

Yup 66 yr.s here done crawling around a motor to winterize not done just cannot do certain things any more with out hurting for three days. Different boat than what you looking to get I got pontoon with outboard on it and will never go back to a I/O motor again. Good luck in getting what you want...

airshot

Rear Admiral
With all the fancy electronics in todays motors, the days of fixing it yourself are over....you will need to buy a diagnostic machine for the simplest of fixes. Then there is the cost....wow, they are not cheap !! Most all of todays motors are well made and fairly trouble free, I woukdn't be concerned as long as you have a reputable dealer nearby. Best price and best warranty would be most important to me. I prefer my 80's and 90's motors, much easier to work on and a heck of a lot cheaper to buy!!

airshot

Rear Admiral

Neither does this 72 yr old guy, besides I needed to downsize my boat anyway as I mostly go by myself due to wifes health issues. Dropped down to a 16' with a 40hp outboard....so....much easier to maintain !!!! However ..there are days I wish I had my big boat back!!

Scott06

Vice Admiral
With all the fancy electronics in todays motors, the days of fixing it yourself are over....you will need to buy a diagnostic machine for the simplest of fixes. Then there is the cost....wow, they are not cheap !! Most all of todays motors are well made and fairly trouble free, I woukdn't be concerned as long as you have a reputable dealer nearby. Best price and best warranty would be most important to me. I prefer my 80's and 90's motors, much easier to work on and a heck of a lot cheaper to buy!!
This is the software i bought fairly reasonable https://candoopro.com/

Its about $450 for a non professional license (limited to 4 HINs) and loads on your pc. Seems to do most of the major I/O and O/Bs can do multiple brands with add'l licenses.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

tpenfield

Staff member
@alldodge - sorry to hear about the potential delay in your new boat. I guess there are still material supply issues, particularly motors. Stay the course for what you want, (unless the delays are excessive) you'll be happier in the long run.

Boat motors of all types are always love-hate relationships :ROFLMAO:

tpenfield

Staff member
Congratulations !!! :cool:

Now you will be able to focus on the new Chappy . . . hopefully arriving soon.

flashback

Captain
Someone got themselves a nice boat! And you get to turn the page..If it's any comfort I have a Yamaha roadstar with 90,000k on it 20 years old and trouble free. They make great product..

alldodge

Staff member
Where in Florida? May see it down here
Naples

Jeez AD…she’s stunning. Be a bitter sweet I’ll bet.
Got maybe bit over 100K in her amd didn't much over a 1/4 of that, but that's boats. Really don't want to know what happens to her after a couple years (open cooling and salt water) but will miss her

That does not seem like much truck for all that boat!
Looks like an F-250 Diesel towing it . . . should make it. (y)
Yes and F250 diesel and it "should" make it. Its jacked up some so trailer isn't level which can cause some issue, but hope not. I greased up the bearings prior to departure

Someone got themselves a nice boat! .
Yep, hope they take care of her