2012 VP 300 C-A Exhaust manifolds getting too hot - DTC 441 & 442

Donald0039

Petty Officer 1st Class
Trying to get my boat working properly this summer despite several setbacks.

Started the engine and after about 10 minutes idling at the dock I heard a couple of alert beeps a minute or apart. Then continuing beeps. Turned off the engine and used my Diacom to read the codes. DTC 441 and 442. Exhaust manifold temp too high. Looked at freeze frame data and saw engine coolant temp at 83F but exhaust manifold temp 225F. FWC engine. So engine was not overheating but exhaust manifolds were. Given it was both exhaust manifolds I assume not a temp sensor issue.

Ideas?

alldodge

Staff member
Ten minutes is not enough time to overheat the motor but is enough if insufficient water is going thru. Check the raw water impeller

Donald0039

Petty Officer 1st Class
Ten minutes is not enough time to overheat the motor but is enough if insufficient water is going thru. Check the raw water impeller
So this is a factory FWC engine. The coolant should be circulating through the engine and exhaust manifolds and riser right? Should be close to same temp. The sea water should be dumped into the exhaust at back end of riser I thought? Sea water should not be cooling the exhaust manifolds or risers (is my understanding).

I have not found a cooling system flow for this engine yet in a manual. That would help my understanding.

alldodge

Staff member
ok which 300?
5.7 300 J maybe or something else?

edit and gxi, gi

Last edited:

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
Is it a true full system or are the exhaust manifolds on the raw water circuit?

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
I’d use an IR temp gun to see what part of the exhaust is actually getting too hot. I’m guessing the exhaust elbows might be getting clogged. And most likely the elbows are raw water cooled.
On my old engine I have the Volvo pre Cat Converter style style raw water cooled exhaust & the hottest they ever get is 135*F. At idle they run at about 100-115*F.

Donald0039

Petty Officer 1st Class
I’d use an IR temp gun to see what part of the exhaust is actually getting too hot. I’m guessing the exhaust elbows might be getting clogged. And most likely the elbows are raw water cooled.
On my old engine I have the Volvo pre Cat Converter style style raw water cooled exhaust & the hottest they ever get is 135*F. At idle they run at about 100-115*F.
Remember both exhaust manifolds were almost the same temperature. Hard to believe both would be equally clogged.

Donald0039

Petty Officer 1st Class
So I was thinking the risers get cooled with coolant like the engine and exhaust manifold with a full FWC but I think I am mistaken and the risers are always cooled with sea water whether RWC or FWC.

The 441 DTC says exhaust manifold temperature but maybe they consider the riser to be part of the exhaust manifold?

I see two sensors on each riser. It's up near the top of the exhaust.

Last edited:

alldodge

Staff member
Hey @muc your coming up with different items then I did using his SN.
What did I miss?

muc

"Retired" Association of Marine Technicians...
Hey @muc your coming up with different items then I did using his SN.
What did I miss?
I use,
and paste the serial number.
Freshwater cooling was an option this year, not sure if it was a full system or not.
DTC 441 and 442 don't show up in the service manual for this serial number.

O.P. Volvo lists this engine as never being registered. Suggest you contact your local dealer and get this registered in your name. It's possible this engine is subject to factory recalls and/or updates. Because it was never registered nobody would have been notified of them.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
I looked at the cooling system set up and don’t see any way for the flow of antifreeze to travel from the H/E to the manifold & back to the H/E so I’m thinking it must be a half system. Was the boat used in salt or fresh water? If in salt being 10 years old it would for sure be due for at least elbows if not manifolds as well…

alldodge

Staff member
I use,
and paste the serial number.
Freshwater cooling was an option this year, not sure if it was a full system or not.
DTC 441 and 442 don't show up in the service manual for this serial number.

O.P. Volvo lists this engine as never being registered. Suggest you contact your local dealer and get this registered in your name. It's possible this engine is subject to factory recalls and/or updates. Because it was never registered nobody would have been notified of them.
That's where you buy the manuals, I used this one which thought had parts breakdown
https://www.volvopentashop.com/en-US/ExternalRedirect/CountryRedirect?countryCode=US

Donald0039

Petty Officer 1st Class
I looked at the cooling system set up and don’t see any way for the flow of antifreeze to travel from the H/E to the manifold & back to the H/E so I’m thinking it must be a half system. Was the boat used in salt or fresh water? If in salt being 10 years old it would for sure be due for at least elbows if not manifolds as well…
I looked at the parts diagrams for both the FWC and RWC engines. And it looked to me that the closed cooling was both engine and exhaust manifold.

They have thermostats on each side of the exhaust for the cooling water. In addition to normal engine thermostat. What are they for?