Engine alignment

Kubaat3lover

Chief Petty Officer
I’ve checked my alignment today, does it look good?
Bottom side is more significant than the upper side. Put the engine lower ?

Attachments

• 1BC7B431-21EA-4C50-B724-C1A1F719AE0D.jpeg
    1BC7B431-21EA-4C50-B724-C1A1F719AE0D.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 28
  • 8390322D-20A6-42D0-A1C7-E82D1F19275F.jpeg
    8390322D-20A6-42D0-A1C7-E82D1F19275F.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 28

alldodge

Staff member
I would think up
If the marks are 100% top and bottom then even up both sides just slightly. If its a bit off to one side then one side more then the other

alldodge

Staff member
"nut mounts"?
The large nut under the mount turn up 1/2 to 1 turn

achris

More fish than mountain goat
.... If its a bit off to one side then one side more then the other
Never raise the sides unevenly. If the witness marks are uneven on the sides (a side to side misalignment) it means the engine is cocked in the horizontal plane, left to right. The most usual cause of that is an uneven transom thickness, or the engine side mounts have been position off centre and are 'pushing' the engine sideways.

alldodge

Staff member
Never raise the sides unevenly. If the witness marks are uneven on the sides (a side to side misalignment) it means the engine is cocked in the horizontal plane, left to right. The most usual cause of that is an uneven transom thickness, or the engine side mounts have been position off centre and are 'pushing' the engine sideways.

No kidding dude, but we don't know if one side has moved more then the other over time. So if there is NOT a straight up/down marking, then one does need to move more then the other. Most probable cause is not always what has happened. Could be over time one mount softened more then another, it's wood, glass and time

Settle down, no one including me knows everything, so lets offer some advice and see what turns out

achris

More fish than mountain goat
No kidding dude, but we don't know if one side has moved more then the other over time. So if there is NOT a straight up/down marking, then one does need to move more then the other. Most probable cause is not always what has happened. Could be over time one mount softened more then another, it's wood, glass and time

Settle down, no one including me knows everything, so lets offer some advice and see what turns out
Sorry AD, I thought you were advocating a deliberate change to force a 'roll' on the engine, with respect to the transom plate.

'Tis all good. :)

Chris.....

Kubaat3lover

Chief Petty Officer
Guys, 1 thing which confuses me. If the bottom marks are stronger, doesn't it needs to be lowered??

Kubaat3lover

Chief Petty Officer
Achris, youre the best as always... wish me good luck.
Im on my way to the boat.. take care

tpenfield

Staff member
Guys, 1 thing which confuses me. If the bottom marks are stronger, doesn't it needs to be lowered??
Actually the opposite . . .

This diagram may help understand.

SterndriveEngineAlignment.gif

So, the engine mounts need to move in the opposite direction of where you see the marks.

Sorry @achris - Looks like we were both replying with the same sort of thing :LOL:

Kubaat3lover

Chief Petty Officer
OK here is the report because I’m very little space to operate with the Wrench I did twice 6x 1/4 turn of the nut.
There is little pressure when removing the tool , is that correct? I make a video how does it look like
If the marks are not visible on the video I can post the photos

alldodge

Staff member
New gimbal bearing I think?
If so, insert bar and smack it with your hand up/down/left/right a couple times. Remove and reinsert and see if its a bit easier. Need to center the bearing after each adjustment

It should go in with 2 fingers

Kubaat3lover

Chief Petty Officer
Gimbal is the old one I just removed the drive to change UJoints and bought the tool to do the alignment. First time for 3 years since I own the boat, I’m sure prev owner never checked that,