Engine alignment

achris

More fish than mountain goat
As long as it's easy to pull, a small resistance is fine. You're marks look ok. It still appears a tad low. I noticed you said the lower nuts were getting tighter. You are backing the top nuts off as you go? (If not, you're tightening up against them šŸ¤¦)

Kubaat3lover

Chief Petty Officer
Yes of course Iā€™m backing both of them.
Mmaybe itā€™s placebo but I think itā€™s little bit harder to pull the tool
Now than before and Iā€™ve raised it only

tpenfield

Staff member
You need to get yourself some dirty (or colored) grease. Too hard to tell with nearly clear grease.

achris

I think we did it guys!
How does it look? Easy slides in and out , I can rotate by 2 fingers . What do You think??
That looks pretty good. Now rotate the engine 90Ā° and check again, then another 90Ā°, then another... When you have all 4 quadrants the same, you're done...

Kubaat3lover

Chief Petty Officer
How to turn the engine ? Can I use a socket ? Do you know What size on 4.3? I will remove all the spark plugs not to strip the bolt

achris

DO NOT use the bolt on the front of the crankshaft to turn the engine. You WILL strip it out... Even with the spark plugs out.

Use a strap wrench around the pulley, or turn the water pump or alternator and the engine should turn if the belts are tight enough.

Chris...

Kubaat3lover

Chief Petty Officer
I do not have any strap wrench, can I use the bolt on the water pump/alternator maybe? And can You explain how do I know the engine will be rotated 90*?

Kubaat3lover

Chief Petty Officer
Thanks I tought about paint mark on crank pulley,
few more questions.
Even with removed sparkplugs Can I strip the bolt on the crankshaft? Why its weaker comparing to the water pump/altern?
I think I will use socket on the waterpump/alternator as You said its safer

alldodge

Staff member
Opinion (other will vary), turn 90, if its still smooth your good to go. If the coupler is warped there will be a change, if not its good

With plugs out, grab the belt and pully, and rotate by hand (CW or CCW doesn't matter). It should not be that hard

Kubaat3lover

Chief Petty Officer
OK, im just wondering why its not recommended to use socket on the crankshaft. usually you turn the engine by this nut ie. car etc..
Thank you for your support!

alldodge

Staff member
OK, im just wondering why its not recommended to use socket on the crankshaft. usually you turn the engine by this nut ie. car etc..
Thank you for your support!

Reason because you can snap the blot off and then you have more problems.

That said, if you use a 3/8 short ratchet and plugs are out your not going to put enough torque on the bolt to snap it. Again, grab the belt and move the pulley, it should not be that hard to do

Kubaat3lover

Chief Petty Officer
Im sorry for the dummy question, maybe im overthinking but when adjusting the nuts due to lack of space Ive TRIED to turn the same amount of turns both sides, sometimes turn only starboard side or the portside,
so now im wondering if both sides are equally adjusted, according to the video does it look like its okay? Im afraid of one mount is adjusted more then the other.

alldodge

Staff member
Doesn't matter if they are equal or not, its going in/out easy so its where it should be, even your marks look equal

Kubaat3lover

Chief Petty Officer
Hello again everybody , Iā€™ve just came from a hangar. After tightening the upper nut I had to do alignment again, turned the enigne 90* twice and all looks good. I can insert and remove with little resistance BUT Iā€™ve noticed when I smear a little grease the marks at 2-3-4 o clock position, right side, are less significant than the other , however when I put more grease witness marks are fine all around ?? Why,??..
Should I try to find better alignment?
Regards

Last edited:

Kubaat3lover

Chief Petty Officer
Hmm two totally different opinions from my Gurus...
Anyway, so How to catch the center if the marks are less visible on the right side? 2-3-4 o clock position even if I turn the engine

Here are some pics of the starboards side of the mount. Is that the factory mounting that the screw is titled??

Attachments

• BA77A4D0-C0FE-43C0-9255-0C2A89FA8EA9.png
    BA77A4D0-C0FE-43C0-9255-0C2A89FA8EA9.png
    1 MB · Views: 5
  • 4FDBC837-2E02-4B19-A8D7-2609C9F5B642.png
    4FDBC837-2E02-4B19-A8D7-2609C9F5B642.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 5
  • 2F760439-36D5-44F8-98D6-192811E81907.png
    2F760439-36D5-44F8-98D6-192811E81907.png
    1 MB · Views: 5
Last edited: