Engine alignment

Kubaat3lover

Chief Petty Officer
Did it and no luck, maybe raise the engine more ??
I have noticed that once I’ve turned the nut on the starboard side it was difficult to rotate it, was it the end of the bolt ??

alldodge

Staff member
Which ever direction one is turned and if it gets harder to install bar, then go the other direction

The starboard is at the end of the bolt? No more room to adjust?

Kubaat3lover

Chief Petty Officer
It was difficult to turn the nut at the end, I don’t know if it reaches the end of the bolt or maybe the locking tab was preventing the rotation

alldodge

Staff member
ok, locking tab or top nut needs to go up some more.
Bending those tabs out of the way is a pain. I bent mine out of the way and never bent them back. I also remove drive every season and check

Kubaat3lover

Chief Petty Officer
I tried to bent it but as You sid its real pain especially when youre haning head down + no space...
Anyway, at the beggining it was smooth but after the 2nd raise it was very difficult.. so i dont know why.

Back to the alignment, does it look good on the video? I can see even witness marks but there is a little pressure when removing...
Maybe the port side is lower than the starboard?? But i was triying to turn same amount of turns but as mentioned before it was difficult due to lack of space

alldodge

Staff member
First and foremost the bar should be able to go in by pushing with 2 fingers (pretty easy). Removing the bar should be easy as well

Same number of turns is best for new installs. The rear motor mounts are snugged up while the motor hangs form the thermostat housing. Lower nuts are adjusted up so they touch on both sides even, then motor is lowered the rest of the way on the front mounts.

Adjustments from checking alignment need to be done based on visual appearance. If the marks are dead center top and bottom, then both go up/down evenly. But IF the marks are a bit off to one side, then one mount may need to move ore then the other, or only one needs to be moved

You can start from scratch and lift the motor from the thermostat housing as previously mentioned, but can also do it by feel and visual. By feel means a lot of in/out of the boat.

Again if its tighter now then it was, one or both have gone to far.

Only other way is to have a special tool to help 91-863372
It slides on the bar and goes against the bell. You can then see which way the mounts need to move

Alignment 91-863372.jpg

Kubaat3lover

Chief Petty Officer
Here it is How it Looks Like,top and bottom side 0EEAD75F-1BBB-40D7-BF80-20185F6C0CAE.jpeg
Topside0CE35DE6-E511-4E12-93CF-2773A9700F7F.jpeg

Attachments

• 37DF7C3E-DEE8-45A4-A87D-635E1BD3FD66.jpeg
    37DF7C3E-DEE8-45A4-A87D-635E1BD3FD66.jpeg
    296.7 KB · Views: 0

alldodge

Staff member
It looks pretty good, how easy is it to install and remove?

Kubaat3lover

Chief Petty Officer
Like on the Video, this is After todays adjustment :

and That was in the winter before any adjustments

Maybe everything was okay before and now I’ve only got worsen? But why it’s not sliding off easily?...

Scott06

Vice Admiral
Here it is How it Looks Like,top and bottom side View attachment 342699
TopsideView attachment 342700
I think that looks pretty good. I also had one that was difficult to push the bar in , or more difficult than i would like, i think you end up with so much grease in the coupler when you do this several times. I end up putting the drive on and over the last six years /250 hrs have had no issue and the drive comes on and off by hand And no further adjustment have been required . In other words don't drive yourself too crazy

alldodge

Staff member
Maybe everything was okay before and now I’ve only got worsen? But why it’s not sliding off easily?...

Have to agree, winter was even marks all around. It did appear to have more trouble removing at the time.

alldodge

Staff member
If it was easier before then now, I would think yes

If its easier now then it was before, then no

Keep in mind, as before, it might be just one side, not saying it is, just we're not there to feel what you are.

After alignment the drive should slide right on without much pushing

Kubaat3lover

Chief Petty Officer
before that the drive slides off very easily

ok I’ll try with rising and lowering maybe...

alldodge

Staff member
Guess when you asked in post 1, was "does this look good". Not knowing more then that we took it as the alignment was tight and how should it be adjusted. I should have asked the question first "how easy does the bar go in/out?" Sorry about that

Alignment is more feel then looks. It might not look right, but if it goes in/out easy, then your good. Don't pay much attention to how the grease looks

alldodge

Staff member
Yes, if it goes easy in/out your good. Every coupler can have some ever so slight variations. The grease marks are used to advise how to adjust if its not easy.

As before 2 finger easy

Kubaat3lover

Chief Petty Officer
Chris but how about in my situation? Marks are fine but it’s small resistance when removing, as on the video ..