1992 18ft Bayliner Capri restoration

GongshowBayliner92

Seaman Apprentice
Picked up a 92 Bayliner Bayliner for next to nothing to restore. Have already removed the outboard built a stand and threw a battery and throttle on it just in case I need them. Removed some of the interior and as I expected needs a new transom and stringers, as these boats weren't the best built. The fiberglass resin was peeling off the floor like paint. Will also need some gel coat repair. My question is for the fuel tank. I'm assuming it's the original tank from 92. How long are the life on these tanks (it is a standard plastic tank) ? When I pulled up the floor there was a lot of black wet material, which dried to a black film the next day. My only assumption is that this was either mold and water or the gas tank may have been leaking, I'm not entirely sure as I'm not anywhere close to an expert on fuel tanks. There is no odour and the fuel lines are intact.

Attachments

• photo303009.jpg
    photo303009.jpg
    209.2 KB · Views: 17
  • photo303011.jpg
    photo303011.jpg
    178.3 KB · Views: 15
  • photo303013.jpg
    photo303013.jpg
    209.6 KB · Views: 16
  • photo303014.jpg
    photo303014.jpg
    126.6 KB · Views: 14
  • photo303015.jpg
    photo303015.jpg
    159.4 KB · Views: 14
  • photo303017.jpg
    photo303017.jpg
    130.5 KB · Views: 17
  • photo303018.jpg
    photo303018.jpg
    828 KB · Views: 16
  • photo303019.jpg
    photo303019.jpg
    291.3 KB · Views: 16
  • photo303020.jpg
    photo303020.jpg
    175.3 KB · Views: 15

alldodge

Staff member
If tank doesn't show cracking it should be good. You could pressure test the tank with a hand tire pump to 3 psi. Don't use much pressure, it will turn into a bomb.

As for the black, it's probably mold, so try to protect your self from breathing it in. Only takes a little water/moisture for it to start

GongshowBayliner92

Seaman Apprentice
No worries, full respirator already in use. I will post some pics when I pull the tank and the result of the test.

GongshowBayliner92

Seaman Apprentice
The -40 weather came early and put a screaming halt to plans. Floor is now up and tank out. Foam was full of ice crystals, lots of moisture. Tank is fine .work continues. Next is figuring out how to support the hull so I can remove the cap, foam then sand and replace the stringers

Attachments

• photo308862.jpg
    photo308862.jpg
    499 KB · Views: 8
  • photo308863.jpg
    photo308863.jpg
    523.6 KB · Views: 8

alldodge

Staff member
Always so much work.

Going to need a good size lift to get the cap off. If you know someone with a tractor or wrecker, that could do it. Another thought is cut the sides and just remove the rear half.

GongshowBayliner92

Seaman Apprentice
Yeah, was more a general stuff to do list instead of timeline, thanks for following up though, I'll take all the free advice I can get. I'm planning on building a wooden frame from the ground above the boat and using an engine hoist to get the cap off and on the frame one end at a time. its rated for 2500lbs so it should do the trick, the cap is nowhere near that weight.

Last edited:

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
I used the rafters in my shop with ratchet straps to remove the cap from my Avanti.

The Force power

Commander
Well....I guess I can join the Gong show; I purchased a 1990 Bayliner Capri in January of this year & the same temperatures to work in.

At deep freeze temp. I could not detect "soft spots" lol but looking at this I will not be spared :{

chevymaher

Commander
Well....I guess I can join the Gong show; I purchased a 1990 Bayliner Capri in January of this year & the same temperatures to work in.

At deep freeze temp. I could not detect "soft spots" lol but looking at this I will not be spared :{

I am a member of the Deep Freeze Club. I got my boat frozen as a first boat. It is amazing how solid they check out when they are frozen solid.

Scott Danforth

Staff member
never buy boats or hot-rods in the dead of winter unless you inspected them in mid summer..... BTDT....own a closet full of tee shirts that taught me to never do it again

GongshowBayliner92

Seaman Apprentice
Well I don't have an excuse, bought it in July, I knew it would need stringers transom etc, but you get what you pay for. If you were wondering what 3 inches of frozen foam looks like, here you go. Also the front half of the stringers have a pretty solid core, but are moist for about 2mm on the outside. But I figure if I'm going to strip it down to the stringers I should still replace them if they show any moisture. Frozen foam is a pain to get out.

Attachments

• photo309031.jpg
    photo309031.jpg
    535.6 KB · Views: 9
  • photo309032.jpg
    photo309032.jpg
    325.2 KB · Views: 9

The Force power

Commander
To "somewhat" protect it from moister/water saturating the foam and/or to avoid a chemical reaction between the fiberglass & foam???

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
Obviously it doesn't work here. Some think lining the hull with plastic or using plastic bags then pouring foam allows water to escape secretly to a far distant planet.
From everything I've seen with that approach eventually the plastics gives way and the problem of trapped water is still there. :eek:

GongshowBayliner92

Seaman Apprentice
Well there's basically a puddle of frozen water logged foam where the stringer meets the boat. Looks like the plastic just trapped the water in there. There must be a better way.

sopwithcamel74

Petty Officer 1st Class
Flotation foam and below deck drainage - the more it's discussed, the more convinced that I am that there is more then one correct path to take.

I plan on just glassing in the stringers and bulkheads, keeping each compartment sealed and isolated from the bilge (no weep holes), and hoping that I seal it all well enough to keep it relatively dry. But I can't tell someone that they're wrong for wanting a way for those compartments to drain down to the bilge, either.

Scott Danforth

Staff member
if you get water inside the hull, it will find ways inside somewhere.

keep the water outside the hull, do the best you can to seal, add the foam, and realize that in another few years you will buy a different boat, of in about 15-20, you will be fixing something else major on the boat.

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
Yup...exactly my point. So it goes.....
Each sealed compartment is like a time capsule waiting for the owner , next buyer or someone to find out what's in there.
I'm keeping mine.