1976 Tom Boy Boat, 1976 40 HP Johnson Outboard and who knows what Trailer

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Close to the helm area would make the most sense I guess on the FE ... If would have thought about it when building the front deck ya might could have made a little recess in the vertical bulkhead in front of your feet for it .... idk

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Close to the helm area would make the most sense I guess on the FE ... If would have thought about it when building the front deck ya might could have made a little recess in the vertical bulkhead in front of your feet for it .... idk

Yea, it is one thing I didn't count on in the initial build layout. Seems every place I think about installing the FE, it is a possible in-the-way position. I don't want to install it and have a foot set it off. Was thinking about laying it horizontally at the base of the side panel and floor under the control area. Since the controls are there already the FE may not pose much of an additional issue. I will lay it around and see how it works before final install.

I am now presently mixing yard work with boat work again. With the warm weather we recently have, seem everything is sprouting. So I had to trim trees, prune shrubbery, and general yard clean up. And since you can't put off such things, time is being split again. The boat still gets most of the time seeing how close it is to being finished now. But there is always something...

mickyryan

Rear Admiral
agreed about the ends being tarnished as most of those connectors weren't air/water tight i always dip wire in nolox or die electric grease to protect them before sliding into connectors hoping that helps to :)

Pusher

Lieutenant
You're on the home stretch and the crappie are about to get thick. :) Go get yourself a billy goat and let him help with things this spring. I don't know about the FE. Maybe mounted to the pedestal seats or the end of the rod box?

gm280

Supreme Mariner
A little up date...

Okay I have some interesting pictures for you this time. Seems I have some very bad squirrels doing some redesign on my trailer. I guess they thought it would be funny to sever the wires to the trailer lights. This means war! :spy:

They ate the wires on my utility trailer and that was bad. But this is my new refurbished trailer that I am going to need shortly. Now I have to rewire the lights. I wonder what squirrel stew taste light...

At any one time, I could make a bag limit in my yard. I have a little over an acre, and at least twenty or more squirrels. And then add in the neighbors squirrels and you can understand what is going on.

As for boat update, More wiring and I made two more buss bar circuits for the multiple positive wires going to the storage lights and another to the courtesy lights. Each light is wires with its own positive and ground. And since that makes for a interesting attachment to the switch, I had to make a buss bar for each switch.

Again, I would post pictures, but wiring really isn't something that really gets interest.

Attachments

• photo308969.jpg
    photo308969.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 0
  • photo308970.jpg
    photo308970.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 0
  • photo308971.jpg
    photo308971.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 0

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Tree rat damage ! 🐿🐿🐿🐿
I have piles of squirrels running around and I have never known them to chew on my trailer wires ..
But I do manage to keep them feed with bird seed . :rolleyes:
‘That and the lab keeps them on there toes ... 🐕

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Tree rat damage ! 🐿🐿🐿🐿
I have piles of squirrels running around and I have never known them to chew on my trailer wires ..
But I do manage to keep them feed with bird seed . :rolleyes:
‘That and the lab keeps them on there toes ... 🐕

Yea, they will chew on most anything. I have chain-link fence in the back yard and the chain-link fence is attached to the top rail with aluminum wire straps. Those squirrels eat through those aluminum straps all the time. I have replace them twice now. I may have to get ill with them and thin them out some. Like all of them. But since I live out from any city and near a swampy/woodsy area, new ones will move in quickly.

I wonder if I used some jalapeno pepper sauce on the wires if that would stop them. Or maybe they would like the hot taste... :noidea:

chevymaher

Commander
Yea, they will chew on most anything. I have chain-link fence in the back yard and the chain-link fence is attached to the top rail with aluminum wire straps. Those squirrels eat through those aluminum straps all the time. I have replace them twice now. I may have to get ill with them and thin them out some. Like all of them. But since I live out from any city and near a swampy/woodsy area, new ones will move in quickly.

I wonder if I used some jalapeno pepper sauce on the wires if that would stop them. Or maybe they would like the hot taste... :noidea:

Squirrels learn. Nice pellet gun with a scope. Within 2 years you wont have that problem. They stay at the edge of your property and wont come in/

mickyryan

Rear Admiral
beagles keep them in check , but if they ever started gnawing on my boat they would join the ranks of carpenter bees and we would be at full blown war in the backyard
4ceadb9c32dbb50796127904db2f74ca.jpg

gm280

Supreme Mariner
beagles keep them in check , but if they ever started gnawing on my boat they would join the ranks of carpenter bees and we would be at full blown war in the backyard
4ceadb9c32dbb50796127904db2f74ca.jpg

Well that little guy is all suited up and ready I see. Nice...

I have to think about them at this time. It would be like shooting fish in a barrel if I ever set out to clean them out. Bag limit in the first few minutes easily.

They really can be a serious issue. A friend of mine had then get into his attic and eat the power wires. Luckily they didn't start a fire. "Tree Rats" fit them so perfectly...

We did have two Siberian Huskies that certainly kept them in check. They would catch one every now and then, and the squirrels knew they could as well. But both have long since passed away. Beautiful dogs and great comfort dogs to keep you warm as well. We do miss them in so many ways, but not sure we want any others...

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I got a good question for those that have ever come across this situation.

WAY back when I was first doing the demolition of the boat, there was a pathetic aluminum piece that was used for a transom cap. I still have it, but it is basically useless. It doesn't even cover but about a half inch of the transom top.

So I decided to make one. Well that didn't turn out very well since you have to stretch the metal at one part and shrink it at others, for it to fit. And I won't go into how that worked out. Let's just say it was a royal failure because I don't have metal stretchers and shrinkers in my shop. They do make them, but the price is silly for a one-off use. Okay, the metal tore where it needed to expand, and wrinkled where it needed to shrink...of course.

So what have you all done with your transoms? I am presently making a fiberglass top cap. It is curing as I type this comment. So I don't know how that will work. But if it doesn't work out, I am out of ideas that will look decent. And ideas?????

I actually make a copy of the transom top from a 2" x 8" and a 1/4" piece of plywood glued together to get the exact thickness of the transom (I needed 1 3/4" total width). Then I marked that glued up wood and cut a copy out using the transom as the guide. That gave me a perfect copy of the transom top to work with. Then I used some fairly thick plastic sheeting to cover over that mock up transom so I could apply polyester strips to form a cap, and have it release from the wood. I stabled the plastic materiel on the sides down and used a heat gun to shrink the plastic sheet down over the top of the wood. Most plastic sheets will shrink with heat.

I used one strip of CSM, and two strips of 1708, and of course polyester resin soaked in very well. I used a ton of spring clamps to keep the sides down to form the cap. Not sure it it will work, but we will see. Anybody with any other ideas, please post them. I can always try other things.

I need to get it capped before permanently installing the transom corners for their final. :help:

oldrem

Commander
Why not make the aluminum one in 3 pieces. Top, inner and outer then weld them together??

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Why not make the aluminum one in 3 pieces. Top, inner and outer then weld them together??

Believe me, "IF" I had a TIG welding setup, it would have already been finished. But I don't own a TIG and I am pretty sure I can't do it justice with a MIG that I do own...

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Why not just glass ,fair, and paint ...
No rule says ya gotta have a cap ..
Unless you just want one for looks or something ...

Ciera2450

Lieutenant Junior Grade
+1! Why do you need one? Your fiberglass one will be perfect. The way you’ve built your boat, it’s merely decorative.

Do you by chance have a drill press? May need to visit you soon if so.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
I heard about a guy that made one using 1 1/2" PVC pipe. Cut a kerf with a table say and then used a torch and or Heat gun to soften and spread and clamp and form to the Transom shape. But...IMHO I'd glass over it and call it good.
Check your PM's please. I need your help...AGAIN!!! This Old Dumb Okie keeps getting dumber!!!:facepalm:

mickyryan

Rear Admiral
you don't need a tig welder to weld what you are talking about, brazing works totally fine aluminum brazing works and heck you can even get rod from box stores and gas :) clean metal heat metal not rod and puddle it in after air cooling grind to final shape polish and done.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Wow so many great ideas. For starters, the transom doesn't have much of a fiberglass top. I can see wood grain and even with a few coats of polyester and paint, I really would like to cover over it and seal it real good.

sphelps I actually though about that method while making the fiberglass cap yesterday. I would have to air brush the out side of the transom to make it look nice, but it is doable. Thanks!

Ciera2450 Your are correct about it being mostly decorative, but I seriously think it needs a cap to help with any water infiltration. I guess I should have addressed all this when doing the transom initially. But I thought I could make a cap to finish it off. Monday morning quarterbacking now...

And YES I most certainly do have a very nice floor model drill press if you need to use one. Just let me know...

Woodonglass, that is a most interesting idea indeed. I have all the material and heat gun to help make one. I may give it a try. I mean if it works, great. If not, not much lost. I have lots of PVC pipe. Thanks for that idea!

mickyryan your idea sound great as well. I can try that also. I have oxygen propane welding setup and could use that if straight propane doesn't work. So many great ideas

Thanks to everyone. So many great ideas for sure. That is what I love about this boating site. People have such ideas that can work. Seems I may end up with a few transom caps now. :lol:

I always appreciate everyone's input and ideas. What seemed like a silly request, you guys came through..Thanks very much!