'79 Starcraft SS 16 restoration

Status
Not open for further replies.

Huron Angler

Admiral
Re: '79 Starcraft SS 16 restoration

Looking real good H.A.!

Thanks Ed, she still looks a little rough but at least she should be dry:)

Excellent rivetting work HA... looking nice and strong from down here at least! When's splashdown?

TII

Thanks Triton I have learned a lot about rivets this year...today I learned the importance of making sure the broken mandril is removed every time prior to the next rivet:rolleyes::D

I'm thinking maybe two weeks to splash her(keep in mind I've been saying two weeks for well over a month now:p)

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Admit it, this ski locker floor business is just a creative way you figured out to give yourself something more to pop-rivet :D (I just used some myself tonight on my end caps and it was indeed exciting.

timfives

Petty Officer 1st Class

Dude, i got the same tail lights going on my trailer. Keep up the good work!!

Triton II

Commander

...today I learned the importance of making sure the broken mandril is removed every time prior to the next rivet:rolleyes::D

I'm thinking maybe two weeks to splash her

Hi HA. Yep, I have a toy that's nickname is "20,000 rivets in close formation"!

MVF001.jpg

We'll hold you to the two week deadline!!!

HopeSheFloats

Lieutenant Commander

Luv how the ski locker's gonna look...super idea! :cool:

'Nice' toy TII :D

Huron Angler

Admiral

Here's the vinyl all cut to size for the deck. I included some zoomed-in images to show the texture of the marine vinyl. If you scroll down fast it feels like you are falling:eek:

I really like the texture. It's strong, durable, solid to stand on even if wet, but not too abrasive to walk on barefoot.

DSCF5976.jpg

DSCF5981.jpg

DSCF5983.jpg

DSCF5984.jpg

DSCF5988.jpg

Huron Angler

Admiral

Admit it, this ski locker floor business is just a creative way you figured out to give yourself something more to pop-rivet :D (I just used some myself tonight on my end caps and it was indeed exciting.

I enjoy the pop rivets for sure. Being a practical person I appreciate their rust resistance and durability. And they are fun and loud too.

Dude, i got the same tail lights going on my trailer. Keep up the good work!!

Have you used them yet? They seem to be pretty solid, I got a good deal too.

Looking great HA!

Thanks CBGale2, if you head down the grand with your rig give me a shout this summer, we could meet in portland and have a beer!(if the boats float that is)

Hi HA. Yep, I have a toy that's nickname is "20,000 rivets in close formation"! We'll hold you to the two week deadline!!!

WOW nice plane! Aluminum rivets helped us win WWII so we know they are reliable.

OK we are getting back to work...could use a couple cold Fosters to keep us motivated though:D

Luv how the ski locker's gonna look...super idea! :cool:

Thanks HSF I think it should work out well, my only worry is dropping sinkers in between the cracks:rolleyes:

Huron Angler

Admiral

That's where your slimline vacuum cleaner nozzle comes into play! :D

LOL We do have one of those:D

Hey do me a favor and post some photos of your rig(or a link)...she looks like the down under version of a brand new Starcraft Islander:cool:

I'd say you should have full Starcraft Club membership since if you lived in the states that's clearly what you would own(and vice versa):D

Triton II

Commander

LOL We do have one of those:D

Hey do me a favor and post some photos of your rig(or a link)...she looks like the down under version of a brand new Starcraft Islander:cool:

I'd say you should have full Starcraft Club membership since if you lived in the states that's clearly what you would own(and vice versa):D

She's an all-welded plate alloy (5083 5mm thick hull, 4mm topsides) 20 footer made near to where we live in south-east Queensland. Here she is:

IMG_2213.jpg

IMG_2428.jpg

If I lived in the States I'd definitely buy a SC, I'm enjoying following the restos going on over there and the friendliness of the "cult"! :D We used to be able to get the fibreglass StarCrafts here in Australia but not any more, at least not that I know of.

reelfishin

Captain

..............my only worry is dropping sinkers in between the cracks:rolleyes:

I would have considered using either louvered aluminum or laying down a piece of aluminum or stainless steel screen below those aluminum slats. That would keep things from going into never never land in the bilge.
I like the idea of a storage locker, I wish I had thought of that before building my deck on my 1974, I did 3/4" plywood epoxy coated and wrapped on all sides with two layers of glass mat and white epoxy painted, then riveted in place, and again repainted with a second coat of heavy white epoxy and some floor grit.
I had considered making room for a 12 gal. portable tank in a floor compartment to get the weight farther forward but figured it wasn't worth having a break in the floor or dealing with a hatch over the years.

(I'm at the exterior painting stage right now, been there since last summer, just haven't had time to get back to it for a while, too many other projects).

fshngho

Lieutenant

HA great work my friend. I really like the ski locker thing going on! If I may suggest, why don't you just cut a piece of the vinyl to fit the bottom of the locker and just loose lay it (or glue it) in place? You could cut a couple small holes in it to allow water to drain if necessary and that would keep small debris from falling to the lower hull. Experience has shown me it don't take much to build up dirt to block limber holes. Heck, it may even cut down on vibration. BTW, my buddy has those LED lights and he loves them. No heat so the water dosen't blow them out when launching and jeez are they bright! They are an all around better idea than standard lights. Two weeks huh? I'll be waiting to see the vid.:D Dale

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

I wish I'd thought to pre-cut my vinyl ahead of time outside the boat. Would have made things much easier.

CBGale2

Lieutenant Junior Grade

That vinyl looks great HA, I havent been able to decide between that or carpet. Will probably be carpet because its cheaper.

Triton that is a sweet looking boat. Tell ya what, you send me one of those and I'll send you a project Starcraft. :D

Huron Angler

Admiral

We used to be able to get the fibreglass StarCrafts here in Australia but not any more, at least not that I know of.

Yeah...we exiled the 'glass rigs like the brits did prisoners and kept the tinnies;)

I would have considered using either louvered aluminum or laying down a piece of aluminum or stainless steel screen below those aluminum slats. That would keep things from going into never never land in the bilge.

Good idea, that would work well. I'm not going to drill out the 24 rivets that are in place tough. Maybe next time:)

HA great work my friend. I really like the ski locker thing going on! If I may suggest, why don't you just cut a piece of the vinyl to fit the bottom of the locker and just loose lay it (or glue it) in place? You could cut a couple small holes in it to allow water to drain if necessary and that would keep small debris from falling to the lower hull.

I've been thinking about that too...some vinyl would reduce noise and keep stuff from getting scratched up too. Thanks Dale! Vids will be posted, I promise:D

I wish I'd thought to pre-cut my vinyl ahead of time outside the boat. Would have made things much easier.

Roslynn gets all the credit for that, and I'm glad she thought of it myself.

That vinyl looks great HA, I havent been able to decide between that or carpet. Will probably be carpet because its cheaper.

Thanks CB, I like the vinyl and it will help keep the plywood from rotting as water will drain to the bilge rather than be absorbed.

Hopefully I will have some epoxy resin waiting for me when I get home today. Also waiting on my iboats calender(Starcrafts are well-represented;)).

Triton II

Commander

Triton that is a sweet looking boat. Tell ya what, you send me one of those and I'll send you a project Starcraft. :D

CBG,

Hey, why not... "cult" membership will make the swap worthwhile. Now, where's the nearest nuthouse? :D

TII

Huron Angler

Admiral

My epoxy got delivered yesterday...right when I was pulling out of my driveway with my buddy's 14' Cadillac tinny to test out his $45 craigslist find, a 1963 3hp Sea King single cylinder.

He replaced the sparkplug, added new gas and we got her fired right up:D The carb is in need of a good soaking to get her running more smoothly but she runs!

So I wasted the afternon chasing fish around and enjoying some nice weather on our local lake.

Epoxy will be applied tonight, I bought some foam brushes and regular wide ones and can't wait to get this ply sealed up.

I won't be making any more fishing expeditions until the SS is back on the water(I know you've all heard this before:p).

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

I can't imagine trying to spread that epoxy with a foam brush......

Status
Not open for further replies.