16' Nescher ski boat complete restore- SPLASHED!!

BobsGlasstream

Commander
Re: 16' Nescher ski boat complete restore

archbuilder,
First things first. Glad to hear you won't need any surgery. :D
Now, what do you mean you are going to eat before you post the video? :p
I'll be sitting here waiting on you sir. :rolleyes:
Bob

Friscoboater

Captain

I am glad you do not need surgery. That is great news. As far as youtube goes the requirements are that the video can be up to 10 minutes and 1 gig in size. Make them in WMV format and things will go smoother.

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

thanks, working on editing right now....or learning how to edit.....wish I had a $%&#$@# instruction book instead of a PDF file!

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

Uploading.......uploading.....uploading.....uploading.....

I've tried uploading it once and it just sort of got done, but never got done, if that makes any since......trying it again. It maybe the air card in my laptop, sometimes it does funky stuff. I'm going to let it crunch and see if it gets it uploaded. If not I may have to do it at the office tomorrow.

I talked today with the manufacturer of the seat I posted. Apparently they provide seats for a lot of the boat builders. They also have carpet, so I ask them to send me samples. Any order over $250 has free shipping, so I figured why not? I think I also need the paint colors to make a decision on the upholstery colors....so that means I need to buy the metal flake and paint some samples. I'm really tempted to flip her and just get to work on the paint. I would, but given the weather so far this winter, I'm not sure that is a good idea! So for now I'm going to keep it upright and concentrate on the back seat and other interior items.

Its still uploading...hopefully it will get done so I can post it!

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

I got an error after 30 minutes of uploading...so I will try it tomorrow at the office!

Friscoboater

Captain

Sometimes it takes me three or four tries to get mine uploaded.

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

I will have my 23 year old in the office work on it, LOL!

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

One more thing, anyone know anything about putting on new rub rail? Mine is solid aluminum....I've found replacement material, but I'm wondering how to go about it. I really think that bending / fitting it out before I paint it is the way to go.....then storing it till after I have it painted and putting it back on. The original was riveted on, which would be a pain if I put the new one on and then took it back off....I'd have a lot of rivets to drill, then replace later. Has anyone had experience with screwed on rub rails? I'm wondering if I will have issues with the screws backing out later?

micks110

Master Chief Petty Officer

My rub rail had screws and rivets. I had to drill out the rivets and a couple of the screws that were stripped. That wasn't fun- well, the rivets were- the screws weren't.
After 40 some years none of the screws were backed out so???

Technology sucks doesn't it!

BobsGlasstream

Commander

Archbuilder,
Mine was put on with just screws. along the top of the hull they had cut pieces of 1/2 " ply about 1" wide screwed to the hull along the top edge. So when the cap went on the screws went through the glass and into the wood.
None of mine had backed out, and then the rubber went over the screws.
Bob

thrillhouse700

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Man the boat is looking good!! We had an idea for swim decks but then we effed up and had already drilled the holes for our old ladder haha. Now that the hull is already painted with semi perfection it would be too hard to fill the holes fair them and repaint. I wish my kidneystone and cold would go away so I can go back to the boat.

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

Thanks for the comments! I hope you get to feeling better soon thrillhouse! I have some more interior color samples coming (net storage fabric and carpet coming) Hopefully I can get all the color picked out soon!

BobsGlasstream

Commander

archbuilder,
The video was great, I'm glad you finally got it to work.
I liked the size of your shop too. It wasn't to messy just looked like it was being used. The video sure showed the progress that you have made on the trailer too. doesn't look anything like the trailer you started with. :D
Great Job, I'll be looking forward to more video's too.
Bob

SKIBUM1M

Chief Petty Officer

nice video, and shop. Keep it up I love that boat and cant wait to see it finished.

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

Thanks Bob, I'm headed out to sand the fenders down again, wax on wax off :D

tooley

Recruit

Hey archbuiler, great boat and thread! I'm new to iBoats and boats in general.

I liked your video, and while watching it I was struck with some ingenuity! :cool:

You were speaking of the rear seat backs folding forward to access your fuel tanks.

If you make the rear a bench style, you could mount/fabricate brackets that run down the sides and angle towards the bow in a "J" shape. Then make the pitot/mounting point approx. 1"-2" aft of the center of the lower box. This way when you pull the seat backs forward, they have to raise a bit before they come forward. If you look at some automobile seats, this is the way they are set up. Just something for you to think about. Good job and stay warm!

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

Thanks for the comments Tooley. The offset piviot hinge is a great idea! I'm not sure if it will give me enough clearance....getting the tanks out is really tight. I would like to mock it up, that would be slick if it worked!

I sanded the fenders down tonight, they are actually looking pretty slick. I touched up a couple spots with glazing putty....but they should be ready for paint soon. I still need to prep the back sides of them, I'm considering priming them, then undercoating. I was also thinking they might become my "paint samples". I'm pretty limited on the metal flake colors, so why not buy it and match the upholstery to it. I could paint the fenders the red and add a silver stripe!

Tonight was one of those I was glad to have an inside job. You could hear the guys on a drilling platform in the distance drilling in the cold and dark! Glad I was in the shop, I don't miss that!

I have some more video, I'll try to post it soon!

Mountain_Man

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Great video. I like your shop too. I like the shape of Ms. Morgan. Nice hump up front and curvy rear end. (OK bow and stern) but it didn't sound as good.:D

I'm with you on the cold. I'm ready for spring. I've never seen it get this cold and stay there. We haven't thawed out since the Dec 18th snow.