81 Glastron SX-190 Transom and Engine- PICS Galore Update 11-8

BobsGlasstream

Commander
Re: 81 Glastron SX-190 Transom and Engine- PICS Galore Update 11-8

Hey Jay,
We ended up with about 1/8th turns at a time.
I hope your glue holds up, we used 5200 and I hope it holds up too.
I wasn't sure how well gluing it in would hold that's why I asked.
I also ran the 40 inch pounds through my converter and it came out to only 3.333 ft pounds. Not much at all. I went out to Harbor Freight today and picked up a inch pound bar to make sure I get it right, It was only $20.
Keep up the great work.
Bob

Friscoboater

Captain

I have been banging my head on the wall on this for about two hours. My nylon trim hose has a leak and I am trying to replace it. The little brass ferrule looks to be smaller than the hose (see picture) and I cannot get it on the new hose (which is the exact same size). Is there a trick to this? I tried cutting the tube at an angle... nothing. I tried pinching the end... nothing. I tried lube... nothing.

These stupid little details are really starting to make me tired of this project.

Here is a picture of the old tubing with the ferrule still installed. Anyone know a trick?

DSC00093.jpg

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

Have you tired slightly beveling the end of the tube with sandpaper? Also are you sure you have the right farrel? I spent two days messing with a plumbing project....trying to keep a pex connection from leaking, only to find out it wasn't a "pex" pipe, just an older type of pipe that was slightly different in size....I can't tell you how many times I changed that connection before I figured it out! Drives you nuts!

Friscoboater

Captain

I will try beveling again. I mic checked the hose and it is exact. The picture is of the old one and it looks like the hose is bulging around the ferrule there, so there has to be a way to get it on.

Friscoboater

Captain

I asked this question in the engine forum and they said those ferrules are one time use. I need to go up to home depot and get some new ones.

Problem solved.

fat fanny

Lieutenant Commander

Frisco I was gonna say that those things are not reusable no matter how hard you try!!

BobsGlasstream

Commander

friscoboater,
$5.00 part, 2 hours frustration, problem solved.
Glad you found the answer, without any damage that would cost lots more.
Any new pic's???:D
Bob

Friscoboater

Captain

Ok, so I am installing the outdrive. I am REAL paranoid about the alignment. I have a genuine mercruiser alignment tool and when I smeared grease on the tool and inserted it and had for the most part lines all the way around, with a tad more on the top. I tried to ajust that out and then got heavy lines on the bottom. So I just installed the drive and it did not want to go on at all. It would slide in and them stop with about 3/4 to one inch from home. I used my dead blow hammer and it slid on ok, but I do not remember it being this hard.

There are new O-rings and I had lots of lube on the shaft.

Here is a video of me using the alignment tool. Should I have to push on it to go in, or do I still need to do some work?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fA5ExlPVz2w

BobsGlasstream

Commander

Hey friscoboater,
I haven't done but a few times but it looked good to me. The last time I put one on it hung up a little the last 1/2" or so but pulled it off to check everything and rechecked the manual and it said to put grease on all the mounting studs. We did that and it slid right on all the way. I didn't notice in your Video if you had grease on the studs or not.
Bob

Friscoboater

Captain

Don s. helped me out with this. I had to go down another 4 full turns. I have video posting right now. Big difference.

BobsGlasstream

Commander

Hey friscoboater,
I'm glad you finally got it. The folks on here are a great source of information.
I went up to the I/O forum to see your video but it said it wasn't ready yet. I'll check it out later.
Great NeWS.
Bob

Friscoboater

Captain

WHAT A DAY!!!!!!

I made a mistake and did not wear my lucky cargo pants today. They have been with me for years and have gone through many, many home and auto projects. They are about 100 different colors and one of the knees is hard with resin. I just did not think I would need them. BIG MISTAKE!!!!! First off.

Here is the list of bad things.:mad:

1. This morning was cold and the wind was blowing about 20
2. When I was taking off the tarp one of the bungees snapped back and hit my cold hand
3. When I was aligning the engine the wrench clipped off and the back of my hand hit the manifold drain plug and I think may have really hurt my hand
4 When I was changing the little fuel line by the water separator, my hand slipped of again and I hit the very same spot on the water cutting it wide open this time.
5. I spent a very long time trying to get the compression fitting on the trim hose, only to find out that they are one time use. I should have known this.
6. Turns out that I did NOT have my drive aligned correctly, and the outdrive would not go on.
7. Broke a drill bit.
8. Stepped on my son's sand pail and broke it.
9. Got more of that #M 5200 crap on my hands
10. That is enough for now...

Ok now for the good things:)

1. The interior is DONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
2. Got the right fittings and the trim pump is installed, bled, and functioning correctly.
3. Enlarged the drain hole from the deck to the bilge and put down some resin to seal it up.
4. Installed the new bow light.
5. Got the outdrive halves put back together
6. Got an education on humility!

So... you can see I have had a tough day. I got some video, but you will have to wait until tomorrow.

I have one concern about the trim pump though. I flushed the lines three times with about two quarts of oil, but the oil still looks like a frosty beverage once you start running it. I flushed the crap out of it, there is no way there is water in there.

SAM_0224.jpg

SAM_0225.jpg

SAM_0229.jpg

SAM_0234.jpg

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

Looks nice Frisco, hang in there.....it will be worth it next summer when we are all floating in the lake! Wait...that is coming up.....um I better head out to the shop! :eek::eek:

sprintst

Commander

Some days start up like that but you still ended up making progress.

How's the Durabak holding up.

Friscoboater

Captain

The Durabak is great. I actually spilled some resin on it today and about had a heat attack. I grabbed some thinner and it came right up and left the durabak alone. It does hold the dirt though. I purchased a brush that goes on the end of a broom handle to just scrub the deck and then wash it out.

FYI everyone. If everything goes well this week, I am shooting for a splash date of next Sunday, April 4th.

I am so excited and nervous at the same time. The past few weeks, my dreams have been dominated by the boat. Not the good kind though. It always ends with the boat under water.:confused:

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

I feel your pain. I've been in frustration city on my build as well. Just fought a long battle with mounting my windshield. Definitely ready for this thing to be done. Getting close though. I'm jealous of your swivel seats that actually have room to swivel. I haven't mounted mine yet but initial estimates are not looking like I'll actually have room for them to swivel :(

tallcanadian

Captain

That's awesome. Your on the home stretch now. You do have a great looking boat. It's going to look even better sitting on the water. Can't wait. I've been following your build with great anticipation. And the pics and videos have been great. Things like that will help other boaters. I know you got me all fired up to get to work on mine, but I still have a month before it gets warm enough to get at it.

Friscoboater

Captain

Getting those to swivel was a real chore. I wanted as much room as I could in the walkway, but still be able to turn. They actually rub a little.