18' Starcraft SuperSport restoration

Status
Not open for further replies.

Huron Angler

Admiral
Re: 18' Starcraft SuperSport restoration

So I'm going to put some kind of rack in there to hold the rods in place.

I'm thinking about maybe attaching these on the sides of the ski locker. You probably have more room than I do vertically, not sure if they would work in mine or not.

I may just attach them on the gunwale shelves if there is not enough room.

Don't want to "Bill Dance" any more rods:)

Also, are you dead-set on having one piece of ply in the bow? I may do it in sections sorta like agameforus did on his SS. That large storage area in the forward middle bow would be nice with a hinged hatch.

Attachments

• rodholderskilocker.jpg
    rodholderskilocker.jpg
    5.9 KB · Views: 0

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Thanks for the helpful ideas HA. I went and re-checked out agameforus' resto. I'm definitely going to put in a center hatch.

McGR

Senior Chief Petty Officer

EZ - Your Starcraft is really beginning to take shape. Looks good.

We're at similar points in our projects. I just cut the front deck board for my Crestliner this evening. Very similar setup to what you are going for - two storage hatches on the sides, livewell in the middle. I'm a little dubious about my carpentry too. I'm crossing my fingers that all the (aluminum) hatches fit properly with their respective cut-outs. Hopefully they will.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Jim those type of hatches are under serious consideration. McGR, you are very lucky to have aluminum ones!

sred137

Seaman

Wow I just got all caught up with your restore EZ and that thing is looking awesome!I really love the colors on the exterior.Hang in their on the bow and you'll get their.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Thanks red. I think I got a pretty good plan going in my head at the moment. Going to order everything I need tonight when I get home.

Huron Angler

Admiral

http://www.correllconcepts.com/boat_conversion.htm

This is a restoration on a 18' Lund fishing rig that has some decent ideas on hatches and storage. Not a walk-thru like an SS but he did a pretty nice job with the rig.

I'm considering using one of those hatches that Jim linked to with the attached bin to make a built-in cooler/live-well. Alternatively I may opt to just build in one of my coolers and save some cash on materials.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Good lord I just spent a pile of money. Fortunately this should be about it except for a steering system, fuel tank, and the fishing chair pedestals and of course incidentals.

I ordered this carpet from HD for the bow deck, side panels and rear casting deck http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs...D23X-_-100661374&locStoreNum=4125&marketID=68

This adhesive (cuz it was shown on the same page and was hella cheap http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs...langId=-1&catalogId=10053&productId=100117949

Enough of this vinyl for the deck and side metal areas http://www.defender.com/product.jsp?path=-1|10918|311409|311410&id=23740

This vinyl adhesive http://www.defender.com/product.jsp?path=-1|10918|311409|311410&id=23803

2 of these pedestals for the bucket seats http://greatlakesskipper.com/produc...ch-boat-seat-pedestal-w-swivel-and-slide.html

and a bunch of these hinges for my hatches http://greatlakesskipper.com/produc...4--aluminum-10-x-12-inch-boat-hinge-pair.html

Total $626. OUCH!

Did a tiny bit of work on the boat tonight. As I said I wasn't happy with the bow deck cuz it didn't go all the way to the tip of the bow. so I cut the triangle off the deck piece, kept the two side pieces and I bought another sheet of plywood tonight and cut a larger triangle which goes all the way forward. The deck is now 3 pieces. I'll cut a hatch into each piece. I've got a pretty good game plan now and am no longer feeling overwhelmed. :)

bankfisher

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Don't feel bad. I need all of that stuff, plus more, oh, and a motor. My wife is going to kill me when she starts adding all of that up:rolleyes:

fishrdan

Admiral

Hey EZ, For making all the fasteners hidden, you can through bolt them and the screws heads should disappear into the carpet fibers. On my Crestliner I was hunting down the screw heads with a screw driver tip since I couldn't see most of the screw heads, they were buried in the carpet. Same with my buddies Fisher, we were hunting down screw heads with the tip of a screw driver, scratch around until something feels like metal. Try it on a piece of scrap wood and carpet.

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Hey EZ, just take a quick gander at all the gear I have yet to buy, that should have ya feelen pretty good about your purchases!

Cheers Man!

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

I think that's what I'm going to do fishrdan.

I am keeping a running tally of all the expenses for this project which I will reveal when it's done. Can't wait till all this stuff shows up.

I'm going to have to take a little break from the boat for a few days because I'm hosting my model train club on Wednesday night and my basement and layout are a mess. It's bad enough that I won't have any progress to show on the layout as the boat has taken precedence this winter. In addition to cleaning up, I want to run a 220 line down there so I can use my garage heater (my basement has insulation in the ceiling so it's COLD) and buy enough carpet to cover the majority of the concrete. I'll take some pics when it's done.

PaulyV

Chief Petty Officer

I used that carpet on my bow sides and pockets. Its easy to work with.

Thats a great price for the nautolex vinyl...I may check that out..I was just going to paint and sand..not sure now.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Look at dozerII's interior with the vinyl.....looks awesome.

Huron Angler

Admiral

I was told that vinyl is easiest to work with at exactly 70 degrees.

Looks like you will be testing it out first since you keep chugging along ahead of me. The guy I got it from has used it many times and is more than willing to share info so let me know if you have questions.

He went thru the procedure with me over the phone but I will be talking to him again prior to installation. He said something about letting the adhesive sit for a while after laying it out on the vinyl/deck to let all the air bubbles get out so it lays down smooth.

I will post more info in my thread after talking to him again.

bananaboater

Ensign

Hey EZ,

Used the Nautolex glue and it works fine, really sticks. Mine came really thick, thinned it with water but probably should have thinned a bit more. I went with the consistency of honey. Coat both surfaces as instructed and get all air out with the roller press. I do have some slight bumps from using a brush to lay out glue. Next time I will use a roller with thinner glue. If you are rolling the vinyl over an edge it will bend and not make a nice folded edge, just a factor of the material.

Looking forward to seeing your outcome.

Albert

McGR

Senior Chief Petty Officer

EZ - Looks like you are going with a very similar color scheme to me. I've got the storm gray Nautolex on the main floor and I just got in some gray for the casting decks and portions of the sides. The gray Nautolex should look great with the gray carpet. Good choice.

vegasphotoman

Lieutenant

Looks good EZ...very familiar to me too. I spent the entire day working on my bow structure as well.

Those boxes look great and will add plenty of storage(or room for more noodles:p). It's surprising how much more room the 18' supersports have in the bow than the 16'.
================

yup 2' more feet to be exact!! LOL :D just Razzing ya Mike! lol

================

EZ...definetly worth the effort for all that space!!!! Fisherdans got the right idea...otherwise youll have to fasten from below...or side inside....DOH! what a pain!

your woodwork is up there with BOB and THRILLHOUSES........now we can say look at so and so's woodwork...its as nice as EZs!!! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.